How do you imagine a future utopia?

One can expect at least some changes which will help those in the direst need. Although that's minimal and would have happened long ago if not for stupidity and greed.
Still, it's impressive how even those two can sustain a society where the norm in the end (70-80 or slightly above if you are lucky) is you no longer being functional. Probably the small lifespan, coupled with natural degeneration, alone would ensure a very low type of society, so those have to be fixed. Only new tech would suffice.
I guess there is an argument that could be made about how 70-80s Western society was already some sort of Utopia compared to most of history.

The question is once we get everyone to the top of Maslow’s pyramid, are we peacefully lounging in hammocks by the waves or are we building pillars of skulls from those we sacrificed to our new gods as we freely form new affiliations and see how far we can take life?
Dont think humans will ever want to just peacefully lounge in hammocks, sounds pretty boring

I guess there is an argument that could be made about how 70-80s Western society was already some sort of Utopia compared to most of history.

Likely for the same reason similar distances from other major wars resulted in a brief golden era of the hit nations, eg France in the "belle epoche" or Denmark following the second SH war. Too few years had passed since ww2 to yet allow more ravenous greed without risking social upheaval.

The question is once we get everyone to the top of Maslow’s pyramid, are we peacefully lounging in hammocks by the waves or are we building pillars of skulls from those we sacrificed to our new gods as we freely form new affiliations and see how far we can take life?

You can safely exclude hammocks, humanity’s feature is being driven. I don’t suppose a healthy, well educated and provided for human being would enjoy to lie in hammock for longer than necessary. Conscientious suffering to achieve greater good. For yourself, maybe for others too.

As other user says: I don't.
I am pessimistic.
I look around and I see that individualism and ego worship is more common as days go on.

However, I trully believe on what Eduardo Galeano said
Utopia is on the horizon. I move two steps closer; it moves two steps further away. I walk another ten steps and the horizon runs ten steps further away. As much as I may walk, I'll never reach it. So what's the point of utopia? The point is this: to keep walking.
Nothing is going to avoid me to keep walking to reach a place in which nobody is considered less due to gender, nation, age or race. Each step matters.

We won't reach it.
Teenagers in my environment are more racist and sexist if we compare with my generation

Top Bottom