How Domestic Tourism is generated

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
I am now 99% sure of the following. Its a small thing in the overall scope of things but it can help stave off an early religious victory but will not help your own cultural victory apart from getting to the key civics faster.

Domestic Tourism is based on the globalparameters.xml value TOURISM_CULTURE_PER_CITIZEN which currently equals 100. This means that once you have accumulated 100 culture points over time you get 1 domestic tourist.

The accumulated culture also includes a secret additional culture boost on the turn you perform a civic eureka. So for example below on turn 17 military tradition was boosted by by destroying a Barbarian Camp. As the Civic is worth 50 culture and I was playing china (60% culture boost) this amounted to a one off boost of 32 culture on turn 17.

The slight change around turn 76 I suggest is down to a clerical error and I will validate that when I can.
I will then try and get the rest of culture/tourism done including the weird modifications for trading with different governments. I think that's all in the XML files.

upload_2016-11-14_16-5-13.png

Thanks. I was trying to figure the tourism formula. Also, if you figure out the foreign tourists, I would be happy to know

Does this mean that your number of foreign tourists is calculated like this as well? Like your base tourism output times your tourism modifiers with every civ individually, then take the accumulated tourism over time towards all civs together combined and once again divide by 100, giving you your final foreign tourist number? Maybe?

Does this mean that your number of foreign tourists is calculated like this as well? Like your base tourism output times your tourism modifiers with every civ individually, then take the accumulated tourism over time towards all civs together combined and once again divide by 100, giving you your final foreign tourist number? Maybe?

It seems to, except
1. tourism seems to stick with the individual civ...its not "retotaled" until it is converted into

2. instead of 100, you divide by 150*number of civs in map (so for a 6 civ game each foreign tourist you get from a civ costs 900 tourism with that civ... but you apply your tourism to every civ you know..with modifiers)

3. when you get a foreign tourist from a civ, they lose a domestic tourist (the reason it sticks with the civ)

(since there isn't any "eurekas" for tourism, its likely* that this is the complete picture)

*not certain

Yes the *not certain bit is what I like to validate. There are a few additional bits in other threads so am going to do a bit of reading then try a few games to put it all together. Starting a culture guide just because someone needs to.
How the trade modifiers work with tourism and in particular government difference seems to have some variance.

It was the domestic bit everyone seemed most lost on so I thought I would tackle that first.

Do you know if it is divided by 150* the current number of civs left or 150* the original number of civs?

Do you know if it is divided by 150* the current number of civs left or 150* the original number of civs?

One has not tested this yet as one is normally so peaceful. There is also queries around loosing a city where you have a significant amount of tourism accumulated. We'll get there, the back on it is broken now. One will write up a brief version today and post

EDIT: Please refer to https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-tourism-is-calculated-and-a-culture-victory-made.605199/

Last edited:
I am now 99% sure of the following. Its a small thing in the overall scope of things but it can help stave off an early religious victory but will not help your own cultural victory apart from getting to the key civics faster.

Domestic Tourism is based on the globalparameters.xml value TOURISM_CULTURE_PER_CITIZEN which currently equals 100. This means that once you have accumulated 100 culture points over time you get 1 domestic tourist.

The accumulated culture also includes a secret additional culture boost on the turn you perform a civic eureka. So for example below on turn 17 military tradition was boosted by by destroying a Barbarian Camp. As the Civic is worth 50 culture and I was playing china (60% culture boost) this amounted to a one off boost of 32 culture on turn 17.

The slight change around turn 76 I suggest is down to a clerical error and I will validate that when I can.
I will then try and get the rest of culture/tourism done including the weird modifications for trading with different governments. I think that's all in the XML files.

View attachment 458757

This does not include amenities in Domestic Tourists Calculation. I never thought you would have to generate Amenities to generate Domestic Tourists. But it does. I have tested this over and over. Start a game. Focus on building entertainment districts and focus on getting the highest amount of amenities. This generates a huge domestic tourism and directly counters a culture win. Please look into this since I have done my own personal testing and it appears correct.

This does not include amenities in Domestic Tourists Calculation. I never thought you would have to generate Amenities to generate Domestic Tourists. But it does. I have tested this over and over. Start a game. Focus on building entertainment districts and focus on getting the highest amount of amenities. This generates a huge domestic tourism and directly counters a culture win. Please look into this since I have done my own personal testing and it appears correct.
This is an old thread from before the culture guide. In there you will see amenities talked about a little but yes, get +3 amenities and you are racing, same with any strategy apart from food and foreign tourists. Domestic tourists are the sum of all your culture and eurekas. Culture total naturally includes amenities.

Culture guide link, 2 posts above

Domestic tourists are the sum of all your culture and eurekas.

You mean Civic Inspirations here; not Technology Eurekas.

Also, the culture value of Civic Inspirations is already included in your total culture. Adding inspirations to culture (again) to provide local tourists means inspirations have been added twice.

Of course, I understood what you meant; I just think we need to be as precise in our comments as possible. Otherwise, others might be led astray.

To clarify.

The culture per turn total at the top left of the main screen is accumulated with civic eureka bonuses (which are not part of that total). The combination of these two is as far as I can prove the total used to divide by 100 and then round down to provde domestic tourists.
Naturally the culture per turn total includes amenities bonus which is included at the per city level.

So the culture per turn total (in the upper left corner) does not include Civic Inspiration culture. However, one's total culture does include Civic Inspiration culture. Oh well, Civ VI makes these things clear as mud. I should not be surprised.

Last edited:
Whoops ... Upper left corner.

There is an easier way of looking at it. All of your culture and all your eurekas go toward the civic tree... The total spent on the civic tree could be divided by 100 also. Civ first calculates things at the city level and typically this total is what appears on the top left... Just like tourism. The trouble is, it is a bit muddy ( computers bonus) so yeah, civ is a little muddy.

Well to be more precise your domestic tourists are
Culture including inspirations/100
Minus
Foreign tourists from you (other civs tourism against you/150*number of civs.. for all civs)

I reopen the thread to express some doubts: I've been playing some cultural games lately and also trying to understand the mechanics of culture, tourism, tourists and so on.
Game (GS/secret societies mode) as CdM: Amanitore has at turn 200: 119 DTs with 120 culture/turn. At turn 210: 139 DTs with 98 culture/turn. She is making almost double than DTs expected. Very difficult to catch up.
What am I missing? Are there some extra bonuses she's getting that double the DT output?
Thanks in advance.

I reopen the thread to express some doubts: I've been playing some cultural games lately and also trying to understand the mechanics of culture, tourism, tourists and so on.
Game (GS/secret societies mode) as CdM: Amanitore has at turn 200: 119 DTs with 120 culture/turn. At turn 210: 139 DTs with 98 culture/turn. She is making almost double than DTs expected. Very difficult to catch up.
What am I missing? Are there some extra bonuses she's getting that double the DT output?
Thanks in advance.
If you direct a question using @Victoria using the @ I get notified, otherwise I could miss something.
I am always happy to admit if I am wrong and am quite happy to discuss investigate such issues. I have tested DT many times over the last 4 years and the figures have always panned out correct but that does not mean things have changed. It will not be in this case because I am incorrect but because things have changed.
There are some bonuses, these are inspirations and the moon landing and anything else like culture from kills. These one off culture bumps can make a big difference, especially inspirations. You can investigate these in the log files in a file called game_boosts.csv. The numbers you are quoting are by no means outside the range others have also quoted. A person who was far better than me at CV’s complained that in one turn her opponents DT went up by 10 in a GOTM, I asked her to look in this file and she found the answer.
If you can provide the game save without mods I can have a look, maybe something has changed.
It is possible to stop some of these inspirations but it becomes quite an advanced topic not for the light hearted but for example stopping someone from building a 3rd airport by destroying their IZ with a spy can speed up your victory by 10’s of turns.

Thanks in advance.

It's hard to know exactly without having the save. But lets try and break it down...in 10 turns Amanitore has generated 20 DTs, lets assume that her average culture per turn was 110. That gives her 11 DTs, then say she has gotten the boost for civil engineering (standard speed) that is worth roughly 484 culture. Lets say just one more boost of a similar age was obtained, so the overall culture from 2 boosts was 900, that is 9 more Dts, adding up to a total of 20.

Perhaps she even made more DTs from boosts, but you stole some away with tourism. Either way, considering inspirations are worth 40% culture of civics, my guess is that is what is adding to the extra DTs.

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the delay.
Yes, it must be something like this. I was trying to figure out the system base on the Potato McWhiskey video on National Parks vs Rock Bands. The math exercise is fine, but with this system it doesn't work at all. In the video he says that when you have double the tourism than the next civ has culture you're about to win the game in 20+- turns. No way, I don't know if they changed it lately but it takes much more. I may have 3/4 times more tourism than the next civ has culture and still need 30/40 more turns to win. It's a little nightmare, and quite unpredictable.

Top Bottom