How exactly does economic stability work?

brett0007

Prince
I been meaning to ask this for a while but why can I be close to collapsing due to a negative 9 recession while making 40 gold a turn at 70% research. Yet be making -40 gold a turn with a plus 3 economic stability? if its not your income directly what exactly is it and how do you fix it?

I'll try to address whats not covered in the Pedia.

Commerce for Stability purposes refers to GNP, which I'll simplify as your total *modified* output of everything derived from commerce (science, culture, espionage, gold). I need to confirm if Expenses are factored in to Stab calculation.

The Inner Workings of the Demographics Screen Explained:
In BTS the GNP is not just about the commerce. The GNP also includes the beakers, culture and espionage points produced in each turn. All these are calculated with the effects of improvements taken into account. Therefore the GNP calculation is;
Total commerce + total culture + total espionage + (total research * research bonus) – expenses.
The research bonus is what you get from knowing the prerequisite and other nations you have met who know the tech you are researching, so your GNP can increase by your neighbour discovering the tech you’re currently researching. If you look at the F2 screen it gives you the totals in the left hand column and the expenses in the right column, however the research figure doesn’t take into account the research bonus.
(BTS) With BTS the GNP takes on a different meaning. In fact it becomes an indicator to the overall prosperity of a nation rather than just an indication of how much commerce tiles are being worked. This makes it more useful in judging how well a nation is off, because to get a high GNP you need to have improvement in all areas to generating extra commerce, research, culture and espionage. However since the research bonus is added into the figure it is more sensitive to changes in research level then the other three. The only problem with it measuring 4 factors instead of 1 is that you don’t know the proportion of the contribution of each to the value, but i guess that is what your spies are for.

Last edited:
Economic stability is based off of the growth/retraction of :commerce: commerce (the yield that appears on tiles) between stability checks. Higher :commerce: between checks makes it positive, lower makes it negative.

More under-the-hood insight can be found in the Stored Data screen of WB In particular you will see how your (well, every civ’s) commerce is being tracked, and will notice these figures are identical to GNP on a given turn.

One could take this opportunity to experiment with sliders in extreme increments to see how influential these decisions can be on GNP especially over several turns. EDIT: Not just sliders but anything from civics, research path, trade deals, citizen distribution to name only the bigger factors)

The truly evolved game-brain (aka #DocNerdz) will discover yet another reason, in this case indirect, why Vassalage in its present form is DoC's GOAT Civic (Low upkeep/free units permit running Science higher which also fortifies Eco stab/Free Happ an Opportunity Credit to spend on getting richer and more stable and 'round turns your earth).

Top Bottom