How far will you go to play civ 3?

Brewster

stays crunchy in milk
The reason I ask this is because I am about to drop $2500 on a laptop just so I can play civ 3 at work. I know this game is addictive, but I wasn't expecting this. Anyone else out there in the same boat?

$2500 for a laptop? That's a powerhouse... If you want to play civ, you could just get a pentium 3 laptop, will do the same trick.

Heck, just get a 486 for fifty bucks and start playing colonization. That's just as addictive. That'll save you $2450.

This isn't really about civ3, but I once payed $40/month for a text-based RPG. I know how game addictions can be. :p

I would probably pay a monthly fee to use civfanatics and compete in GOTM and stuff if it wasn't free. I hope I'm not giving Thunderfall any ideas though. :lol:

I'm sure you'll find other uses for your laptop too. :) I love mine. You really don't realize how useful a laptop is until you own one. Of course I got my laptop for free as part of a scholarship program. I might have a different opinion if I had to pay for it hehe.

re: Shabbaman: Yes, it is a rather pimped out model, but you get what you pay for. Oh yea, that price is in Canadian dollars so it would be about 1500 bucks US.

I sometimes sit in my car during lunch playing civ III on my laptop.. Luckily my battery only lasts about an hour, or I would never come back to work.

I hope my work doesn’t start checking my e-mail (I send game saves back and forth from work to home all the time.)

I think I might need a 12 step program for CIV III.

I bought a brand new AMD 1.4 gighz, with 256 meg or RAM just so I could play on large and huge maps with maximum civs, seems to me I bought my previous computer just so I could play a faster game of Caesar III.

Originally posted by Brewster
The reason I ask this is because I am about to drop $2500 on a laptop just so I can play civ 3 at work. I know this game is addictive, but I wasn't expecting this. Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Its funny because Ive been looking at getting a laptop for the same reason. My computer is outdated and the bigger games run so slow. I really like the new one with the 17 inch screen but that is a mac so Im not sure about it. If I did get a lap top what would you guys recomend as far as its abilities to run the huge maps and all?...........dread

Originally posted by sabo10
I bought a brand new AMD 1.4 gighz, with 256 meg or RAM just so I could play on large and huge maps with maximum civs
Amen brother. :king:

Replaced my TRS 80 with a PC so I could play Zork. Bought a 286 when I discovered Civ 1. My first Pentium for CTP. I was disappointed when Civ 3 ran perfectly on my aging Pentium 2 - I was counting on it not working to justify a new computer. :(

willbill, can you play 24 civs on a huge map? if not, get the p 4 with 3 ghz, 1.5 gigs ram, and a geforce 4 graphics card (for those tank vs spearman battles, major instense graphics there!)

Yep. I've tried to overwhelm it without success. As long as I turn off everything running in background, the interturn delay stays pretty reasonable, <2 minutes at the end of a game on a huge map, all the civs.

aye right!. on my 550mhz 128RAM P3 it runs as slow as ****. (on a huge map). That must be some hell of a pentium 2 you have there willbill :sheep: :sheep:

yeah really! my 24 civ game on huge map ended up with up to 5 minute loads. I got a p4 1.7 w/ 512 ddr ram! Maybe the enemy was on cheiftain/warlord so they didn't have many units?

Civ 2 was the reason for which I switched from a 386sx 25mhz to a real beast, a 486 dx 33mhz. It worked well and when I changed to my Cyrix 150 mhz (awfull, never buy something from Cyrix, my dad bought that one and it sucked big time) and it was all good. Then we bought a P3 500 and Civ3 came out and I bought it that day. When I first started to play, I noticed it was really slow so I tried it on a P4 1.4ghz to see how it went and it played well so I bought another 256 megs of RAM only to find a couple of weeks later that the slowdown was due to my graphics card (TNT 2 Ultra) and it was patched. I was pretty satisfied but when I saw that Grand Prix 4 was just around the corner, I bought a P4 1.6a (@2.4) and 512 megs of DDR Ram to be able to not only play the game but enjoy it too.

If you're having problems with civ addiction, I'm having it too because I'm also considering the possibility to get a laptop to be able to play Civ3 everywhere. By the way, don't buy a laptop with a 17" screen because it's all good looking and all but it doesn't fit in most laptop bags and it's really big to carry around. 15.2" widescreen would be plenty for me !

I've been doing some research and have found several laptops that will do what i want (CivIII and a few other things) for around $2000. Unfortunately, my car (a '71 MGB) needed some work and drained my laptop fund dry. :cry:

I guess I will have to wait a few more months for nirvana (CivIII anywhere, anytime). In the meantime, I look forward to nuking Lizzy and the English for using Lucas electric parts in their cars (nothing like having your headlights stop working when it is raining sideways on the highway).

only being 14 the worst ive done is faked being ill and got 3 days off school whne i knew my parents would be out for the whole day, just to play civ.

Brewster, I am looking at a lap top for the same reason. I think the vidio card will be the bottle neck. Have you any thoughts on that?

Top Bottom