How many civs have "hidden abilities"?

More information on this: (I've been trying to figure out the road algorithm in my Iroquois game)

Something that's rather counter-intuitive about the forest roads: although they count as roads when you attempt to enter the hex, they don't count as roads when you're leaving. So if your "road" goes from a forest (without a road built on it) to an unforested hill (with a road built on it), it costs your unit 2 movement points; as far as the game is concerned, you just moved from a hex w/out a road to a hill, which always costs 2 movement points.

So could you circumvent this problem by building a road on the hill tile and the forest tile before it? Would that then make the road continuous?

So could you circumvent this problem by building a road on the hill tile and the forest tile before it? Would that then make the road continuous?

Correct. It's what I said in my original post on the algorithm: Iroquois' UA fire will fire if and only if there is not a regular road connection and the tile you are entering contains a forest or a jungle in friendly territory. So if you build a road on the forest, you will get default road movement when you move into the forest tile and regular (tech-improved) road movement when you move from the forest tile to the hill tile containing a road: the move into the forest tile was covered by the UA, while the move from the forest tile to the hill tile is covered by a regular road connection.

There are certain Civ abilities that are for some reason not mentioned in the UA's description (or there is also more to the UA than it seems), but have been confirmed in-game. Zigzagzigal made a list of all Civs tricks, secrets and clarifications. Here's a link:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=326411722

All the info you need is there. Enjoy! ;)

If Lake Victoria spawns adjacent to a river, the entire length of the river will be wider than normal. As such, if you uncover an extra-thick river, follow it!

Wow! This is quite interesting. I never knew this until now. Nice guide!

Idk if it's too obvious to be considered hidden but new users could benefit.

The Shoshone scout, when it chooses to upgrade as a unit, instead of upgrading as the typical archer, it upgrades to Composite Bowman. Get a couple of these VERY early and you could take the nearest capital. Or you could keep them at your capital and save on having to build more military for AT LEAST one or 2 ages. It's a high opportunity cost, since you'd Be missing the early population, tech, or culture but it's a cool way to play.

Another obvious one, The Aztec culture kill STACKS with the honor culture kill with barbarians. Making it lunacy not to consume your self with hunting barbarians. Couple that with the pantheon God Of War, and that means you get Faith and double culture from every kill of barbarians.

There's a couple more but I can't remember right now....

Idk if it's too obvious to be considered hidden but new users could benefit.

The Shoshone scout, when it chooses to upgrade as a unit, instead of upgrading as the typical archer, it upgrades to Composite Bowman. Get a couple of these VERY early and you could take the nearest capital. Or you could keep them at your capital and save on having to build more military for AT LEAST one or 2 ages. It's a high opportunity cost, since you'd Be missing the early population, tech, or culture but it's a cool way to play.

Another obvious one, The Aztec culture kill STACKS with the honor culture kill with barbarians. Making it lunacy not to consume your self with hunting barbarians. Couple that with the pantheon God Of War, and that means you get Faith and double culture from every kill of barbarians.

There's a couple more but I can't remember right now....

The god of war pantheon only works for kills near your pantheon city so every barbarian has to be at least 4 tile radius around your pantheon city to get yourself some faith. Killing barbarians in their remote encampments won't get you that much faith, but barbarian units that walk near your pantheon city radius attempting to plunder will.

Top Bottom