• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How much is war part of your game?

Read Post below, and please post for explanations.

• 10%

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • 20%

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • 30%

Votes: 34 20.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 44 25.9%
  • 50%

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • 60%

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • 70%

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • 80%

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • 90%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 100%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 0%

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
mossmonster said:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!
Quoted for Ahh-nuld

About 6%. Never found fun in war.

I enjoyed peacefull dominance but in C3 you almost had to fight to win - I'd say between 20-50% depending on the game.

a lot, probably too much. i use war to take land and win the game. Only once i won with something besides Domination, Elimination, or time(Where I dominated).
That was a space race victory achieved during a huge war where only one other nation was left.

30% mostly defensive - get attacked -beat em back -tack a few cities. ask for peace and some gold.. then continue building/tech research.

War is an extension of politics. I wage wars when things can't be done via diplomancy. Civ3 was like 100% because diplomancy was so broken. :lol:

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent. I like to think I fit the profile, I use conflict about 25% or 30% of the time.

War was always difficult to avoid, the AI would always declare eventually.

Has anyone ever finished a game without going to war?

I'll wait until I've been playing the game for a while before answering this sort of question. I've played and enjoyed wargames on and off for most of my life, but in the past I thought Civ was a lousy wargame and so I went to war only reluctantly.

With Civ 4, it remains to be seen. Perhaps combat will work better than in previous versions of the game. But just in case, I'm glad there's the Always Peace option. That's a real novelty and might be useful.

my games usually turn into war when i start thinking..."that island over good would look good in my empire" I also sont just go to war for resources but to make sure the AI dont get them.
but in other games i barely even think of war and just build build build

From the second clear borders(no gaps) are established I am divising how exactly I will attack pierceing, pincer and envolpe, broad front, capital rush, Surrond and pillage, Naval envolpment, Air Carpet, lastly nuclear showdown. All of which are factored into my decision and then utimately I annilate the enemy. From which point I start over. Re-establish clear borders, establish new plans and repeat. 95% based around war.

In previous version of Civ it was very high - I have a feeling that in Civ4 it will be a bit less from what I have read....but lets wait and see;)

About 20%... I'm more of the builder type and the wars I've waged are almost always defensive and more adequately described as short conflicts since I am usually able to bribe for a peace treaty... but as others have mentioned in this thread... it is sometimes nearly impossible to avoid spending large chunks of a game in peace without the AI becoming aggressive and overbearing.

I'm looking forward to a more realistic, less war-torn world in Civ 4 and hopefully the more aggressive civs have taken a chill pill and don't harsh my mellow too much in Civ4.

I guessed 30%. I'd rather build than fight, but sometimes you must fight for either survival, to protect a resource or to capture a resource. When I fight I try to have a particular goal in mind, not extermination. I don't like getting bogged down in massive, unending wars as they make building hard. I also like having more players on the board, so I am not really inclined to exterminate unless absolutely required.

40% war, I would estimate. Reason: resources (as already stated). Out of my games I had ~one third space race victories, rest domination and conquest (I never aimed for cultural victories). Has one tried to play a game without iron and salpeter. And no, trade is not always possible.
60% preparation of war ;) (if not you will get dogpiled by the AIs)

20% for me. Prolly war will begin only from the middle ages onwards. Before that is mostly expansion and building up culturally and technologically.
Will always keep an updated group of army around my borders, just in case.

More of a pacifist and builder so will rarely start wars unless a good reason. Hope there's an option of Casus Belli like Europa Universalis where going to war won't hurt your reputation...

Top Bottom