How prevalent is slavery? (and how advanced?)

deadliver

Loud Mouth Amateur
I am working on a module/almost mod mod mod focusing on the Slavery Civic.

How organized is slavery in FFH? Is there a civ (other than Balseraph using slaves to become freaks, doviello upgrading slave units) that profits immensely from enslaving. Is there a center for slave trading?

EDIT: I mean hardcore slavers, those who profit immensely, as in they are the prominent members of their civ, perhaps they are despised elsewhere. Think of the Red Wizards of Thay but imagine them as slavers.

I would imagine that the Svartalfar are the biggest slavers- they have the Kidnap ability which thematically, is the enslavement of a great person, and would use the "Dirty (insert race here)" to do their intense manual labor.

Yeah, pretty much any nation running the Undercouncil would be prone to slaving - the versatliity is the greatest part of this game. One game, you can have a thorough good and Order Bannor, the next game a Bannor that does not despise any methods to do the right thing, even deception and enslaving. I could see almost every civ enslaving in one situation or the other.

In my mini-NOTW (2), I had the Undercouncil be hugely influencial in Kuriotate lands, having a large slave trade in Kwythellar despite the official law against slavery.

Yeah, pretty much any nation running the Undercouncil would be prone to slaving - the versatliity is the greatest part of this game. One game, you can have a thorough good and Order Bannor, the next game a Bannor that does not despise any methods to do the right thing, even deception and enslaving. I could see almost every civ enslaving in one situation or the other.

In my mini-NOTW (2), I had the Undercouncil be hugely influencial in Kuriotate lands, having a large slave trade in Kwythellar despite the official law against slavery.

There is already a civ that has a propensity towards Crusade, the Bannor. Why not have a civ that has the same lust for the slavery civ?

I dunno if you've done much reading about the Old Norse/Vikings...but Jotnar is their name for giants. The Jotnar obviously have lots of norse touches...art, unit names, etc...

What I'm getting at is that the Old Norse were very enthusiastic slavers. They staged frequent massive slave raids on the Slavs...one of the main reasons that some of them were around to settle down as the Rus, actually. Thrall is actually the Norse word for slave, more or less. They made extensive use of them, and traded slaves with various other civilizations of the time.

In short...the Jotnar are your huckleberry. They are perfectly set up for it...hard to revolt and overpower master when he is 12' tall. :lol:

It used to be that the Overlords religion was thematically involved with slavery, they still are if you count mind stapling, and the Tower of Complacency.

Could be that the Anglo word "slave" could come from Slav? ... a guess?

Not just a guess, actually. I'll look for it, but I've come across that Etymology before.

Could be that the Anglo word "slave" could come from Slav? ... a guess?

Supposedly it was because the Slavic people were popular targets for slaving raids (by Vikings mainly) However I have heard elsewhere that this was really just racial propaganda.

http://www.etymonline.com said:
slave (n.)
c.1290, "person who is the property of another," from O.Fr. esclave, from M.L. Sclavus "slave" (cf. It. schiavo, Fr. esclave, Sp. esclavo), originally "Slav" (see Slav), so called because of the many Slavs sold into slavery by conquering peoples.

"This sense development arose in the consequence of the wars waged by Otto the Great and his successors against the Slavs, a great number of whom they took captive and sold into slavery." [Klein]

O.E. Wealh "Briton" also began to be used in the sense of "serf, slave" c.850; and Skt. dasa-, which can mean "slave," is apparently connected to dasyu- "pre-Aryan inhabitant of India." More common O.E. words for slave were þeow (related to þeowian "to serve") and þræl (see thrall). The Slavic words for "slave" (Rus. rab, Serbo-Croatian rob, O.C.S. rabu) are from O.Slav. *orbu, from the PIE base *orbh- (also source of orphan) the ground sense of which seems to be "thing that changes allegiance" (in the case of the slave, from himself to his master). The Slavic word is also the source of robot. Applied to devices from 1904, especially those which are controlled by others (cf. slave jib in sailing, similarly of locomotives, flash bulbs, amplifiers). Slavery is from 1551; slavish is attested from 1565; in the sense of "servilely imitative" it is from 1753. slave-driver is attested from 1807. In U.S. history, slavocracy "the political dominance of slave-owners" is attested from 1840.

On some OT thread a while back I heard someone arguing that Sclavus actually came from a Greek word (something like Sclabos) for slave and wasn't connected to Slavs. Someone else then though pointed out that said Greek word was also Greek for Slav.

It used to be that the Overlords religion was thematically involved with slavery, they still are if you count mind stapling, and the Tower of Complacency.
I had an odd occurrence my last game. The Balseraphs founded Overlords. Normally I see them running AV or CoE, but when I thought about it. OO fits the Balseraphs better lore-wise then any other civilization, even the Lanun(with the possible exception of Hannah) I mean, think about it.... Slavery, Mind Magic... it synchronizes perfectly!

Perpentach is actually set to prioritize OO, all other things being equal, over other religions. (Keelyn prefers AV.)

As far as I know, Slave<-Slavic was a soviet propaganda against rome and europe in USSR. But there're various theories.

That's what I've found in some sources:

ad. OF. esclave (also mod.F.), sometimes fem. corresponding to the masc. esclaf, esclas (pl. esclaz, esclauz, esclos, etc.), = Prov. esclau masc., esclava fem., Sp. esclavo, -va, Pg. escravo, -va, It. schiavo, -va, med.L. sclavus, sclava, identical with the racial name Sclavus (see SLAV), the Slavonic population in parts of central Europe having been reduced to a servile condition by conquest; the transferred sense is clearly evidenced in documents of the 9th century. The form with initial scl- is also represented by older G. schlav(e, sclav(e, G. sklave. In English the reduction of scl- to sl- is normal, and the other Teut. languages show corresponding forms, as WFris. slaef, NFris. slaaw, MDu. slave, slaef (Du. slaaf), MLG. and LG. slave (hence Da. and Norw. slave), older G. slaf(e, Sw. slaf). The history of the words representing slave and Slav in late Gr., med.L., and G., is very fully traced in Grimm&#8217;s Deutsches Wörterbuch s.v. Sklave.]

Also I know there's a greek word &#963;&#954;&#955;&#945;&#946;&#974;&#957;&#969; which appeared much earlier.

one of the main reasons that some of them were around to settle down as the Rus, actually.
Even more, the first ruler known was Rurik (I am not sure about english way to write it) who came from Scandinavia. Slavic sources tell that he "was elected", but many historians think that he could just... well, come to rule.

Deon, are those Russian letters or Greek letters. I know greek n russian are supposed to be similar, its just intense seing that alphabet on a mostly english forum :D (im also surprised it didnt show up on my screen as error, like the Kanji does)

Supposedly it was because the Slavic people were popular targets for slaving raids (by Vikings mainly) However I have heard elsewhere that this was really just racial propaganda.

It was propaganda, but it was also true that they were popular targets for slave raids by Scandinavians, who sold them in Byzantium (that's how slavers get rich - exporting to groups that buy slaves).

Kind of like how a derogatory term for black Americans used to be "cotton-pickers". It was derogatory/propaganda, but it was also true that many of them were employed as slaves on cotton plantations.

Deon, are those Russian letters or Greek letters. I know greek n russian are supposed to be similar, its just intense seing that alphabet on a mostly english forum :D (im also surprised it didnt show up on my screen as error, like the Kanji does)

Those are Greek letters. You have them in the font-file Symbol :)

Some of the most effective lies/propaganda are those with veins of truth.

Top Bottom