How the A.I. works in BNW.

Magic of Friend

Chieftain
How the A.I. works in G&K:

You are going for a science victory:
The A.I. sees your military weakness and will try and invade when you are at your weakest to stop you from out teching them.

Your going for a diplomacy victory:
The A.I. will try and buy/destroy city states that support you.

Your going for a cultural victory:
The A.I. sees your military weakness and will try and invade when you are at your weakest to stop you from winning.

Your going for a military victory:
The A.I. will make enough units to defend its self and try to out tech you with better units.

---------------------------

How the A.I. works in BNW:

The A.I. wants to be your friend but will never vote for you or support you diplomatically.

The A.I. wants to be your friend and cheers you on as you build your space ship.

The A.I. wants to be your friend and cheers you on as your culture dominates the world.

The A.I. wants to be your friend and cheers you on as you nuke its capitals and wipe its civilization off the planet.

very accurate.

BNW AI makes all the cheap clones of CIV look like in depth originals with gamebreaking new AI.

Since when did Civ becomes sim city. Because that is what it feels like. Manage your own land in your sandbox and when you are bored, send a tornado threw just to do something.

Hopefully they're working on a patch to make the AI more competitive and a bit more aggressive.

In my experience the AIs took turns spitting in my face, and watching me win without following up on their "Your army is a little on the weak side. Just thought I'd tell you to watch your back." threats. It's hilarious.

Glad I held off from a knee-jerk purchase.

Phew.

The A.I. sees your military weakness and will try and invade when you are at your weakest to stop you from out teching them.

The A.I. sees your military weakness and will try and invade when you are at your weakest to stop you from winning.

The A.I. will make enough units to defend its self and try to out tech you with better units.

---------------------------

The A.I. wants to be your friend but will never vote for you or support you diplomatically.

The A.I. wants to be your friend and cheers you on as you build your space ship.

The A.I. wants to be your friend and cheers you on as your culture dominates the world.

The A.I. wants to be your friend and cheers you on as you nuke its capitals and wipe its civilization off the planet.

How many games did you finish? How often did you attempt every VC?

Yet in other threads, it's reported that exchanging embassies with an AI guarantees that you'll get attacked by them...

Yet in other threads, it's reported that exchanging embassies with an AI guarantees that you'll get attacked by them...

I think the excitement about BNW clouds people's minds. They are unable to form unbiased observations and opinions and jump to conclusions way too quickly. :lol:

I'm sure OP has hundreds of BNW games under their belt to share this information with us.
People play one or two games, see something happen a couple times and it becomes 100% truth in their mind.

Personally:

Huge map. FARK where are you horsehockys. Stuck on an island. Surrounded by city states.

It's like you're gifting a technology every turn.

OMG somebody else built Great Library first. FARK restart.

The A.I. won't trade with you and your luxuries become useless. Get too big and unhappiness coupled with bankruptsy cripples you. Giant civ on another continent with a bajillion tourism s you up. Can't do anything because all your production hubs are landlocked.

The AI will build an army, attack and fail, then build another one and try again.

ftfwy!

I don't understand why everybody is saying the AI is so passive now. I don't say I agree with it.

I think a big part of it may be because so many of the new civs are diplo/culture based, and not like Greece where it's diplo but has a huge war fetish? I mean its 9 new civs, 7 of which are, more or less, pretty peaceful it seems.

On top of that the gold tweak probably put a cap on runaway armies (Oh, hi monty, what's with the forty jaguars?) so they don't get an army so big that they feel they need to declare war because they're eclipsing you.

In either case, If you're worried about war, play the scramble for africa scenario. It was like WW1: Africa for me, literally 7 civs were at war with me at the peak and the whole thing lasts 100 turns.

Also

The AI will build an army, attack and fail, then build another one and try again.

ftfwy!

This. Did you guys REALLY prefer to have the AI attack you completely unprovoked, then proceed to flail around moving settlers to attack your cities while using archers as frontline units and swordsmen way in the back, and in the meantime their boats sailed in circles out in the ocean for no real reason?

Maybe the AI didn't get pacified, maybe it became sentient and realized it's actually really rather bad at war.

Besides, if you find the game easy and boring now, that's what higher difficulty levels are for. Step your game up till they patch it.

No they don't i've had AI's who just let me win a space race look at SBFMadDjinn babylon lets play where he was winning a space race and a lot of the AI let him be.

Only warmongers ghenghis will atack city states , other AI will try to coup city states when you are close to winning a diplo victory so olmost right

If you play you're cards right you can win and ingore a decleration of war with a culture victory.

AI was hyper agressive and it looked that he was going for a domination victory.

did you played gods and king because I don't thinx so?

Did you guys REALLY prefer to have the AI attack you completely unprovoked, then proceed to flail around moving settlers to attack your cities while using archers as frontline units and swordsmen way in the back, and in the meantime their boats sailed in circles out in the ocean for no real reason?

Maybe the AI didn't get pacified, maybe it became sentient and realized it's actually really rather bad at war.

Besides, if you find the game easy and boring now, that's what higher difficulty levels are for. Step your game up till they patch it.

Did you even play G&K? "Moving settlers to attack your cities" Settlers cant attack anything. The A.I. only puts archers in the front when there are no melee units that can attack them. You want archers to attack the city first, keeping the melee units in the back out of range of the city's attack, because archers like settlers cant actually capture city's. If you keep all your archers alive but lose all your melee units you have basicly lost because the city can continue to fire on you and you have no way of capturing it.

I played a full game on Emperor and it felt like I was playing on Settler, I restarted on Immortal difficulty and still not noticing any differences other then the A.I. is ahead of me on tech.

The first game I finished in BNW I noticed something that may provide a clue as to why the AI seems so passive. I was playing as Brazil, and for most of the game my military was very small. Korea, my neighbor to the north, was a good friend of mine in the beginning stages of the game. Later on his military grew, and he was the tech leader throughout the game. I could sense trouble brewing, and indeed, Carthage soon informed me that Sejong was plotting against me. I started building some military units in preparation for the inevitable conflict, but nothing happened. Sejong never attacked. Some time later, Sweden informed me once again that Sejong was plotting against me. Again, no attack ever materialized. Thinking that perhaps everyone was lying to me, I sent my own spies to Korea, but they too discovered that Sejong was "plotting against me." But again, no attack ever happened. This kept happening throughout the game; I must have heard about 10 different Korean plots against me from either my spies or other Civs' spies, but I was never attacked and went on to win a cultural victory. This was on continents map, standard speed, King difficulty.

In my game, it seemed like Korea wanted to attack me, but for some reason, it never did. This strikes me as really odd. Maybe the AI aggressiveness hasn't really changed but there is some new factor in BNW that prevents following through on war intentions. Or maybe all of these erroneous intrigue reports is just a red herring. I can't say for sure, but I honestly don't remember ever having so many "X is plotting against you!" reports result in no action pre-BNW.

I've got a screenshot where arabia and I are at war and he moved a settler right into my territory and ran it around my city until I killed it, so don't tell me that I don't know what i'm talking about.

and as far as the "archers in front" rule, it seems to be a total crapshoot as to how they actually show up. I don't know when they actually roll what tactic they're using, but I had dido march her up CBs into a group of XB and Longswords, then embarked a bunch of war elephants in a nearby lake while I put XB fire on them.

so don't act like I don't know what i'm talking about because I quite literally have proof.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131770281

Sun Tzu the AI ain't.

Top Bottom