How To Add Improvements And Wonders In C3C

I fond out how to stop the first city crash. When you add the building in the buildings large/small file, in Paint Shop, do post as new layer and make sure to make it 256.

Hi! My name's Dane. I'm a long time player, long time modder, first time poster. Well, I'm trying to add a buncha cool new buildings, and having trouble.

For the city screen icons, I knew there wasn't enough room. SO I copied the magenta sheet thingy from a mod someone made that I had downloaded, which was significantly bigger, and swapped it, then started adding the large and small building icons. I then put the civilopedia pics in the right folder, wrote up a civilopedia entry with no description (that is, "#BLDG_Fishery" and left it blank to write later), and then plugged in the necissary slots in pedia icons. I don't think I missed anything (I'm only doing single-era non-culture-specific improvements). Then, I made the buildings in the editor.

When I started the game, it seemed to work fine. I checked the civilopedia to check if the building was there. I clicked the list of buildings, but then the game just booted me out to the desktop.

I found this odd, since usually when I messed something up, a little box tells me what ("Missing entry in Pediaicons: ICON_TECH_Pottery", and the like). This time, it just crashed and kicked me out without a word.

SO I just wanna know, is this a problem with the text, pic files, my computer, or my copy of the game?

I understand this is an old thread and I don't know if this question is in the right place. I also know you're probably busy. But any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

:lol: Haha! I got it to work. Apparently, what I did wrong was try to add a whole bunch of improvements at once, and I must have made an error somewhere. I went back, deleted them all, and tried to just add one, and it worked perfectly. Sorry!

Wondering if anyone can help. I've only added 10 buildings to my mod, with no other buildings in the pediaicons file. The game loads to 30% & crashes, telling me that I'm missing a building pcx (I assume) but the message only reads as far as ICON_ then the line runs out so I dont know which one. I've checked that all the pics are there, there arent any rogue spaces in the pediaicons, its all in 256 colour and I'm proper at my wits end!!

This is the final thing I need to do on the mod and now I appear to have broken it! Please help me mighty modding gurus!!

EDIT: Please ignore. I opened the biq in the editor, did nothing, saved anyway and now it works. Dunno what was wrong but it fixed itself

Hello,

I'm a new fan of this game and I've started playing with the editor.

I've managed to add units and resources, but I've run into two problems with buildings.

The first four buildings I added used files from buildings in the standard set. For instance, the first building is called Garrison and uses the barracks's files; another is Chocolate Factory that uses the Research Lab's files. These all worked well in an enjoyable (and victorious!) game.

Then I added Den of Davros, which uses the 'Radome' images downloaded off this site. I followed the instructions and added the small and large images to the respective bldg large and small pcx files (with the pink background). I used photoshop, which worked fine for units and resources.

Problem one is with the editor. Den of Davros appeared with the correct pic, but Secret Police HQ also had this new pic. I read about slot 82 being given to the HQ, so I gave 83 to the Den of Davros. This showed the picture below the 'radome' pic (to be used for the next new building), though the HQ was back to normal. Now I've added four pictures in the pink building files for the first four buildings using pre-existing files, and then copied my new building pics below these. This now shows all buildings with their correct picture. Is this problem because I've added buildings that use other picture files? Are there any other numbers to watch out for (like 82)? Will this solution work once I've remedied problem two?

Problem Two. In the game, in debug mode, I can select 'b' and choose my building. It even produces a Dalek when expected. I can not select this building from the drop menu in the City Screen display however. It just isn't there. Nor are the other four buildings that I added using existing files. Without debug, my buildings aren't listed.

All I've really changed are those two pink building files (which I downloaded from the link on this thread). Before I changed those I at least had the four buildings using existing image files.

Anyone any suggestions?

Hopefully not necromancing a dead thread ....

A few Simple questions ,

1) IS THERE A LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF IMPROVEMENTS/BUILDINGS that can be added .

The Units 32 pcx file seems to be limitless (if you can find a template big enough) and ditto for Resources ,( see Casus Belli) so I am assuming that its the same for Buildings .. or does it stop at "98" as the UKAS tutorial seems to hint at.
It seems to be a safer option to ADD new improvements rather than CHANGE existing pcxs , but

2) If you copy and paste over existing pcxs ( I use IRFANVIEW , Gimp2 is beyond me )
how crucial is it that the previous image is completely covered
and how crucial is it that the Green lines are absolutely "perfect"

Some of the existing pcxs butt right up to the green line and it is very hard to not to leave a couple of pixcels from the previous image in the frame as well as keeping the green lines in tact , even when magnifying the frames to almost full screen size.
Could this be the cause of "crashes" and other "bugs" ?

3) Is there a limit to the number of Great Wonders that can be added
and is it vital that they are grouped together in the Buildings pcx file as the UKAS tutorial seems to hint at

1) 256 total. Add any more than that, and the editor will delete them.

2) If you don't cover the image, it will still show through, won't it? The green lines are important in that they mark where the game engine recognizes each graphic "begins" and "ends". Go outside of the lines, and I don't think you'll get any crashes, but you'll have parts of the graphics "missing" from where they're supposed to be, and "added" to the next graphic along.

3) No limit, there's just the general 256 improvement+wonder limit. They don't need to be grouped together; if you look at the main game, there are some improvements interspersed with great wonders at the end of the file.

Hope that helps.

In the first post, you said that the C3Editor will automatically add BLDG_Ziggurat to its list. I tried, and it wasn't there.

Have you entered the building correctly to the Pediicons-file first? Without a properly done entry to that file of course there is nothing that the editor can add to his list.

[Quote-UKAS]; "... .Roll down until you seen empty slot under the last Spaceship Component icon.

e. Paste my icon in the first empty space immediately under the last Spaceship Component icon. ... ]

=Problem; There is no empty space immediately under last Spaceship Component icon. :hmm:

> I'm trying to add some more buildings and Wonders to my practice mod.

= I copied the Buildings.pcx from ... Conquests>Scenario>Art>city screen. ( I pasted this in the same order into my practice mod.)- But has no free slots:

= I found a buildings.pcx Icon sheet that does have an empty slot under the last Spaceship Component icon located back one more < in the path. It has a Civ3PTW folder in here and Civ3 Vanilla Edit icon(s) etc.

= Question[1]: Any reason why not to use this buildings.pcx Icon Sheet ??? -[It is not from my scenarios Art folder]

= I also found in the "American Continent Mod" a buildings.pcx Icon Sheet with free slot under the last Spaceship Component icon. I also found the building I wish to use already appearing on sheet:

= Question[2]: Any reason not to use this also ??

= Question[3]: If I use the empty slot up will another empty slot appear ???

Top Bottom