How to add new buildings - step by step instructions

Does this procedure work for Conquests as well? I noticed the posting date.... Sleepy - what is your mod project?

Ditto, cldwarhist.

I claim TOTAL ignorance on this subject - I've never even used the editor before or added any buildings/units. The only reason I'm reading and posting to this thread is because I ran across a Wonder I'd like to add, found Ukas' tutorial, and got a little dismayed at what you have to do to add a building to the game.

With C3C's editor wouldn't it be just a matter of adding and setting the attributes of the new building in the Improvements/Wonders section and then putting the image files in their proper places?

Please correct me if I'm way off base here!! :crazyeye:

@kroym:

Sorry, mate, but it doesn't get that much easier with C3C. It's editor adds new features and possibilities but doesn't help a lot.

In C3C editor there's a little help - you don't have to make multiple rows with same icon to buildings-large.pcx and buildings-small.pcx if you are going to use same graphics for multiple buildings. That's cool.

But then you have to number the buildings in pediaicons.txt.
Secret police HQ is the last building used by C3C and it is number 82, so the first custom building should be 83. This will tell Civ3 to look the appropriate icon from buildings-large and buildings-small.

Read the tutorial, and try it. I am sure you will prevail. Remember, ad astra per aspera!

So how to increase the number of spaces for the wonder?? my last lot is 82 and that has been used by police HQ..How do i add a new slot for new wodners??

Hi!

For the benefit of newbies, I can now solve the problem of the Wonder Splash error for the Palace. Here's the Quote from Uka's post above:

At some point when I was adding new buildings I experienced following problem: The entry for new splash was ok, but when I started with civ3 it wanted that there must be splash graphics for palace. The original entry for palace is:

#WON_SPLASH_0
art\wonder splash\palace.pcx
So the slot for it is number 0. It should mean that it will not play a splash for it everytime when you start a game and establish your first city. I tried to solve the problem by giving it new splash graphics but then civ3 started to treat palace building as a wonder. Well, this remained unsolved by me, but a friend told that it can be corrected by giving new number for the building which was added when the problem appeared in the first place.

But if you have PTW you will not face numero problem since it doesn't use numbered slots but entry names like #WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Ziggurat.

What I discovered is that this is an editor add error. Many people who add a new Wonder/small Wonder will do so when the Palace Graphics are showing in the Improvements and Wonder Tab in the editor. The Palace is NOT a Wonder/sm Wonder. It is an Improvement.

If you do the description of your new Wonder/sm Wonder B/4 you scroll to the name that you just added, when you hit the button which shows your new building to be a Wonder/sm Wonder you will change the Palace to a wonder as well.

The trick is to add the name of your new wonder but touch NOTHING while the Palace Graphics are showing. Instead, go to the building scroll and move down until you see the name of the Wonder/sm Wonder that you have just added. Once the name of your addition is in the spot where the Palace was, you should see the graphics that you added in the pcx file. This is when you edit your Wonder/sm Wonder attributes.

By doing this, you do not turn the Palace into a Wonder/ Sm Wonder by mistake, and so the Palace has no need of a Wonder Splash. If you've had this problem when attempting to add a new Wonder and haven't been able to figure it out, go to your C3c editor and check your Palace Page. If the Palace is listed as a Wonder/sm Wonder, turn it back to an Improvement and the splash error will go away.

Believe me, I spent two days trying to figure this out. For a newby trying to add stuff, it is a big pain in the butt. It should, however, allow you to move on to bigger and better things.

Enjoy! ;) :) :D :cool:

Top Bottom