How to backstab without breaking a treaty...

Windwalker

Chieftain
I tried this tactic out in my current game, and it worked really well.

Situation: Regent/continents. My continent has 5 civs on it; me (japan), iroquois, Zulu, Greece, Rome. I had wiped out Greece earlier, and Zulu had wiped out most of Rome. I was now fighting a war with the Zulu, and was kicking butt with cavalry (Zulu was almost at military tradition, but I managed to cut off their saltpeter). Anyway, I decided that I didn't want to let the Iroquois just build up for free in their big corner, so I got them in a military alliance against the Zulu (costing me quite a bit of gold, but it was worth it). Anyway, I ended up taking most of the Zulu cities, and the Iroquois finished up the last two cities. Note that the Iroquois had to travel thru a lot of my land to get to the zulu, although we shared a fairly narrow border (my empire was like a "J", and the little hook on the left is where we bordered).

Plan: I was aiming for a conquest victory, so I knew I had to wipe out the iroquois next, and this was a golden opportunity. Anyway, before the military alliance with the Iroquois ended, I managed to encircle most of the Iroquois forces (and 2 captured cities) with about 25 cavalry. They had a mostly offensive based army (longbows, knights, and cavalry). Right when the military alliance ended, most of the Iroquois army was exposed out and about on the plains and grassland around their cities. I then declared war on them and polished off 3/4 of their offensive forces in a single turn! If that offense had been allowed to attack me, they could have captured 5-6 cities! But instead, I managed to take THEIR two captured cities, killed all of their Zulu-conquering forces, and am now laying waste to their empire, which is producing roughly 2 units per turn, but with no reserves, cuz they're all dead!

Thus, I ended up backstabbing the vulnerable Iroquois without breaking a (20 turn) treaty! By the way, I don't feel guilty about this because the Iroquois had earlier allied with the Zulus against me... I have a long memory :D

It do be a fun game, esp. now that I've killed those bloody Zulus :king:
- Windwalker

so did you take out the iroqouis????????and what difficulty were you playing??????

Originally posted by naval_lord
so did you take out the iroqouis????????and what difficulty were you playing??????

Well it said in the post that I was playing regent :p

And yes, I am in the process of conquering the iroquois homeland... I only have about 9 cities left to go, and I've cut off their source of saltpeter, so the toughest units I'm now facing are knights and pikes (and I have cav and riflemen). Note that in my initial ambush, they had a lot of gunpowder units already (muskets and cav), but they were strung out all along the former Zulu empire (which now mostly belongs to me). Their gunpowder units all got decimated when I ambushed them in the open, and they only made a few more before I cut off their saltpeter :D

- Windwalker

Great strategy.....I have done something like that before, however it is easier with an RoP......but don't expect them to trade with you again :lol:

Originally posted by Dragoten
Great strategy.....I have done something like that before, however it is easier with an RoP......but don't expect them to trade with you again :lol:

Heh, the point was not to get all the OTHER civs mad at me, too :egypt:

- Windwalker

Hehe....why not get them mad? They will all die eventually anyway! MUWHAHAHA! :midfinger

Originally posted by Dragoten
Hehe....why not get them mad? They will all die eventually anyway! MUWHAHAHA! :midfinger

Cuz they have my wines, and my peeps must get liquored up or else they be trippin, dawg!:beer:

- Windwalker

i always attack their cities with luxury squares...go on embargoing me, i am not afraid...:D

Any way to get a war started without seeming the bad guy? Or does it matter not who is the aggressor? Cos paying civs to enter world wars that I back out of later is a good way to get ahead, especially if the UN is around the corner.

Use the "American Strategy", declare war, plunder and murder, but be sure to have the backup of the rest of the world, keep your International Realtions clean, and from time to time, point at one of your rivals as the Evil and Heathen Enemy of the Freedom.
I use this strategy and its working well, if you doubt it, just check how well USA is faring so far.
Die Iraq...err I mean Germany !
;P

Top Bottom