How to beat a smart AI?

Natan35

Mayor of St. Natansburg
As I found that I am yet no match for the deity AI, I've opted for something different - using a mod that makes the AI smarter(tech and policy choices significantly better etc.). However |I am yet struggling with beating this AI(the closest I have got was 4 parts away from science victory with Korea). So, does anyone here have any experience with that or suggestions for me?

Could you share what mod you are using? I would like to test it.

About beating the game I can suggest some strategies, you could try playing with either Arabia or Mongolia and get as many Camel Archers / Keshiks as you have horses for, and conquer everything that you see. They are the most OP units against a non-human opponent especially since they are able to shoot and retreat on the same turn. Medieval Artillery against cities, in a way.

Your comment about your best effort on Deity, lead me to think about science and population. On Deity, the early game is very important (to be able to catch up in techs) and I try to follow roughly the following "timetable" myself: 1. Your capital should be pop 4 around turn 20-25 on standard speed (obviously a pop ruin is very helpful but try to secure one tile with 3 food as soon as possible) and steal your first 2-3 workers, 2. build your settlers as soon as your cap is pop 4 (with liberty you can wait a bit longer), 3. Have 3 expands by t50-55, 4. Try to set up a trade route with a nearby AI, 5. Build NC on t80-95 and 6. Have a total pop of at least 25 by t100 (like capital 9, first expand 7, second 5 and third 4 as an example). 7. Get to education by t100-115 and build your universities soon after, 8. By t150 you should be on par with the AIs at the latest. The better I grow my cities the better my science game becomes and thus it opens up all kinds of possibilities. Any peaceful victory should be reached roughly by t300.

In the thread Enjoyable Diety Games I have described the early game build order in most games this year (EDGE#41 onwards) and exactly for the purpose of providing a benchmark. Keep in mind that there are many better Deity players than me, but the benchmark above is a "survival level" that will set you up to win most Deity games.

Could you share what mod you are using? I would like to test it.

About beating the game I can suggest some strategies, you could try playing with either Arabia or Mongolia and get as many Camel Archers / Keshiks as you have horses for, and conquer everything that you see. They are the most OP units against a non-human opponent especially since they are able to shoot and retreat on the same turn. Medieval Artillery against cities, in a way.

The mod's AI actually knows how to shoot and retreat. I'm using Ninakoru's smart AI mod(might have butchered the author's name). That's an inetresting suggestion nontheless, so ty

Your comment about your best effort on Deity, lead me to think about science and population. On Deity, the early game is very important (to be able to catch up in techs) and I try to follow roughly the following "timetable" myself: 1. Your capital should be pop 4 around turn 20-25 on standard speed (obviously a pop ruin is very helpful but try to secure one tile with 3 food as soon as possible) and steal your first 2-3 workers, 2. build your settlers as soon as your cap is pop 4 (with liberty you can wait a bit longer), 3. Have 3 expands by t50-55, 4. Try to set up a trade route with a nearby AI, 5. Build NC on t80-95 and 6. Have a total pop of at least 25 by t100 (like capital 9, first expand 7, second 5 and third 4 as an example). 7. Get to education by t100-115 and build your universities soon after, 8. By t150 you should be on par with the AIs at the latest. The better I grow my cities the better my science game becomes and thus it opens up all kinds of possibilities. Any peaceful victory should be reached roughly by t300.

In the thread Enjoyable Diety Games I have described the early game build order in most games this year (EDGE#41 onwards) and exactly for the purpose of providing a benchmark. Keep in mind that there are many better Deity players than me, but the benchmark above is a "survival level" that will set you up to win most Deity games.

Thanks for the advice! I've recently tried to do something similar in game with korea, however the combination of immortal and a science AI that went rationalism had me beaten, even though I had him at one stage. Also had to do with a wrong ideology choice. Anyway, thanks.

Top Bottom