How to create Galley?

sparks_mandrill

Chieftain
Sorry, im sure its blatantly obvious. Played a little civ5 years ago but consider myself a noob. What the heck am I missing?

Get the tech and have a coastal city or a city with a harbour district.

Okay... why would the make the unit available before you can make the harbor district? And what is a "suitable zone"? I have tiles that are "coast or lake terrain". Does coast look special or somethign? I have tiles that are adjacent to the ocean. is that not considered coast?

Okay... why would the make the unit available before you can make the harbor district? And what is a "suitable zone"? I have tiles that are "coast or lake terrain". Does coast look special or somethign? I have tiles that are adjacent to the ocean. is that not considered coast?

If you settle on coast, you don't need harbor for building naval units.

You first need to understand what a "coastal city" is -- a city whose central tile is located on a land tile that is adjacent to an ocean or coastal tile (i.e., at least one of the 6 tiles in the first ring of tiles around the city center tile is a coastal or ocean tile). You can tell whether a tile is "coast" by hovering your mouse on that tile and reviewing the tooltip. If you have a "coastal city," you can start building naval units in that city as soon as you research the required tech (Sailing, in the case of galleys).

If, on the other hand, your city center is not adjacent to a coastal or ocean tile (i.e., all 6 of its ring 1 tiles are inland tiles), you can only build naval units in that city after it has built a harbor district. A harbor can only be built in a coastal tile that is within 3 tiles of your city center tile and inside your culture borders (i.e., your borders have to expand enough to include the proposed coastal tile, either though cultural expansion or because you bought the tile with gold). Once you have built the harbor, you can then start building naval units in that city, and those units will appear in the harbor when completed.

You can also choose to build a harbor district in a "coastal city" -- you don't need to do that to build naval units, but the harbor and its buildings provide various bonuses and benefits, so it can be beneficial to do so.

Okay, thank you so much for the thorough explanation. It appears that I founded my initial city just one hex inland. I have to be able to purchase the water title where the harbor would sit, correct?

Okay, thank you so much for the thorough explanation. It appears that I founded my initial city just one hex inland. I have to be able to purchase the water title where the harbor would sit, correct?
You need the water tile to actually be within your borders, since that's the tile where you will build the harbor. It doesn't matter whether you get the tile through purchase or through cultural expansion.

Yes, and when buying tiles you can buy tiles out 3 rings, but can't leave any "gaps" (i.e., if you want to buy a ring 3 tile, you need to already own an adjacent ring 2 tile). And save your shekels -- tile buying can get expensive, even early in the game.

How does one consider all these factors so early?

This a digression from the topic a bit, but I upgraded to iron working and now cant build swordsman because I have no iron (only iron is greater than 3 hex's out) and now I cant build warriors anymore? How do you even prepare for that?

People commonly interpret coast as a land tile that is adjacent to water, but this isn't correct. The coast is the actual water itself. The "shallow" water tiles are coasts, and the "deep" water tiles are ocean.
It's useful to remember as there are also a few wonders that are built on Coast tiles, so they don't actually take up space on the land.

How does one consider all these factors so early?

This a digression from the topic a bit, but I upgraded to iron working and now cant build swordsman because I have no iron (only iron is greater than 3 hex's out) and now I cant build warriors anymore? How do you even prepare for that?

Well, you expose iron on the map at Bronze Working. If after researching Bronze Working you can tell that there's no iron in range, you can choose not to research (or at least delay researching) iron working. Under those circumstances, you might chose to rely on the Spearman => Pikeman line as your main source of melee ground units (supplemented by archers => crossbows and catapults => bombards).

People commonly interpret coast as a land tile that is adjacent to water, but this isn't correct. The coast is the actual water itself. The "shallow" water tiles are coasts, and the "deep" water tiles are ocean.
It's useful to remember as there are also a few wonders that are built on Coast tiles, so they don't actually take up space on the land.
Yep. Got it now. I'll be restarting this game for sure lol.

Well, you expose iron on the map at Bronze Working. If after researching Bronze Working you can tell that there's no iron in range, you can choose not to research (or at least delay researching) iron working. Under those circumstances, you might chose to rely on the Spearman => Pikeman line as your main source of melee ground units (supplemented by archers => crossbows and catapults => bombards).
Gotcha. And there's no way to back tech to warriors I guess? Once you make the upgrade, thats that?

Yeah, unfortunately Iron Working obsoletes warriors. Given the resource requirement for swordsmen, it would be preferable to be able to keep building warriors (as useless as they can be as the game goes on) while you hunt around for some iron.

But I suspect they did it this way because if you did have iron, it would be exploitive to be able to build warriors and instantly upgrade them to swordsmen -- upgrading a warrior to a swordsman only requires 1 iron, while building a new swordsman would require 2 iron, unless you have an encampment, in which case you can build swordsmen in the encampment city with only 1 iron.

Annnnd how do I create a fishing boat? Is sailing not enough? I have a town that's just inside the coast (not in water, but on the edge)

Once you have sailing, your builder can embark on water, send them to the sea resource, and they can build the improvement/fishing boat
You have to own the tile with the sea resource.

Have sailing... have the tile... fishing boat is greyed out. I can even manage citizens onto the sea tile... just cant create the fishing boat

The sea resource tile needs to be inside your culture borders. If it is not, you have to buy the sea resource tile or wait for your borders to expand.

I think its the resource thing I missed... Didnt realize you had to do it where the fish resource icon is visible... thought you could plop fishing boats anywhere.

Top Bottom