How to deal with Shaka Neighbour, need HELP!

myclan

King
Continent Plus,all standard setting. I'm Korea with Shaka on my south, Polynesis on my southwest and Sweden far northwest. Shaka's and my capital is a bit close, so after he builds his 2nd city in my direction my capital becomes frontline inevitably.

I immediatly know a war will come soon, so I research contruction and build CB, covered with spearman(no iron near my capital). But Shaka's science is so fast that he reach education even before I have Civil Service. Now he already had swordman, capatult and Impis are coming before too long. What should I do?

Bribe Shaka to attack Polynesia. This will keep his military occupied and buy you time to develop your own army. If all else fails, press esc and select exit to main menu.

Bribe Shaka to attack Polynesia. This will keep his military occupied and buy you time to develop your own army. If all else fails, press esc and select exit to main menu.

Actually I had bribed Shaka to attack Polynesia, but Polynesia soon lost their captial and as a result I have to deal with a even stronger Shaka...

Actually I had bribed Shaka to attack Polynesia, but Polynesia soon lost their captial and as a result I have to deal with a even stronger Shaka...

This does tend to happen with Shaka unfortunately, I would have bribed him to attack Polynesia as you did, but be moving my army towards his (Shaka's) capital. Give him about 4-5 turns to move on Polynesia and away from his own capital then attack and try and take his capital as quickly as possible before he gets Impi.

In fact I would have started building an army as soon as I met him if he was close and attacked with CB's ASAP. This doesn't help you now I know, maybe reload from turn 1 and try again? If you have a GG you could place a citadel to defend your capital, that would slow him a bit. What difficulty level is this?

Send a trade route to Shaka, that helps with diplo. Save up so you bribe again. Even though Sweden is far away, you might be able to get Shaka interested. Build more CBs.

Send a trade route to Shaka, that helps with diplo. Save up so you bribe again. Even though Sweden is far away, you might be able to get Shaka interested. Build more CBs.

Yes, I tried to send a trade route to him and even gift my extra sugar to him, it's not hard to bribe him to attack Sweden again, but then I built a city near his 1st city (to get the iron) and soon get denounced... Maybe it would be better to satisfied with 3 cities and keep a small distance with his border? Then I think I will need rifleman+artillery to fight again his great empire.

This does tend to happen with Shaka unfortunately, I would have bribed him to attack Polynesia as you did, but be moving my army towards his (Shaka's) capital. Give him about 4-5 turns to move on Polynesia and away from his own capital then attack and try and take his capital as quickly as possible before he gets Impi.

In fact I would have started building an army as soon as I met him if he was close and attacked with CB's ASAP. This doesn't help you now I know, maybe reload from turn 1 and try again? If you have a GG you could place a citadel to defend your capital, that would slow him a bit. What difficulty level is this?

Immortal indeed. Well because his 2nd city is between my capital and his own capital I think I will be able to take his 2nd city instead of his capital. I don't know if I will be able to defense this city when his army come back. Or I should try to destroy this city and escape? Or maybe I should try honor to get a GG to help to fight with shaka?

Immortal indeed. Well because his 2nd city is between my capital and his own capital I think I will be able to take his 2nd city instead of his capital. I don't know if I will be able to defense this city when his army come back. Or I should try to destroy this city and escape? Or maybe I should try honor to get a GG to help to fight with shaka?
Raze the second city and beeline to his capital. Make sure he is well occupied so he isn't able to quickly swing his army back around to his capital. Keep building units. He will swing his army back around to recapture his capital. It may set you back a bit to train so many units but it is better to play catchup than to lose the game outright! [emoji16]

...but then I built a city near his 1st city (to get the iron) and soon get denounced
That can be a good sign. He denounced rather than DOW'd! Just do not denounce back and he might leave you alone. He likes to have at least one trading partner. I am not sure about gifting a lux though, I would save that for a bribe. Gift a horse or an iron or 2 gpt for the same effect as a lux.

Maybe it would be better to satisfied with 3 cities and keep a small distance with his border?
That is what people tended to do for the Sweden DCL with Shaka as a neighbor. That seemed to work, but I cannot stand to have only three cities!

Then I think I will need rifleman+artillery to fight again his great empire.
That is the trick, to keep him off you until then.

That is what people tended to do for the Sweden DCL with Shaka as a neighbor. That seemed to work, but I cannot stand to have only three cities!
I also think 3 cities is a bit intolerable, maybe I will be safe for a while, but it will not give out enough science and hammer for me to research rifling and build the rifleman maybe. What does Swedan DCL mean?
That is the trick, to keep him off you until then
If shaka is not my neighbour, I will try to grow myself and wipe off him when I get Battleship. If I have the enough time and space to grow so strong.

What does Swedan DCL mean?
The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 4 - Sweden
I played it recently because I wanted to test my Shaka management and it was recommended for that! (The Shaka management part of my game went okay, but then I lost by SV. So I will probably try, try again.)

The most popular tactic was to give up space to him. The second most popular technique was a CB rush -- but takes mad skillz!

The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 4 - Sweden
I played it recently because I wanted to test my Shaka management and it was recommended for that! (The Shaka management part of my game went okay, but then I lost by SV. So I will probably try, try again.)

The most popular tactic was to give up space to him. The second most popular technique was a CB rush -- but takes mad skillz!

This is why it is so difficult afaik. Leaving space for him will embrass self-development and probably lead to a even larger gap, looking for the thread to find inspiration. I hate DV so I change the 16CS setting to 8setting, so eventually I may need to fight against him to win.

Well, the only time I faced shaka and his impis when i'm still using swords. I was the only logical enemy for shaka to have. I went to war from get go. Took whatever ransom he paid for 10 turns of peace and then went to war again. Is King difficulty but whatever, I did have to cross the marshlands of hell but i kept shaka occupied with protecting his lands and used my units to make sure he can't settle into marshlands.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=565645

If you can race into Frigates and Privateers, that tech alone generally spells doom for shaka no matter what if you can protect your territory. That always been the case in all the encounters I had with Shaka unless he was positioned in a way where he won't become relevant to me until late game.

Because the AI has a tendency to charge facefirst into volleys of cannonball fire from ships even when they become landlocked or is always landlocked which allows the mediocre troops of time period sweep in and pick off the remnants of impis safely. It should be mentioned that I was landlocked and I devoted all my resources into getting a powerful port city up and running at all costs.

Well, the only time I faced shaka and his impis when i'm still using swords. I was the only logical enemy for shaka to have. I went to war from get go. Took whatever ransom he paid for 10 turns of peace and then went to war again. Is King difficulty but whatever, I did have to cross the marshlands of hell but i kept shaka occupied with protecting his lands and used my units to make sure he can't settle into marshlands.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=565645

If you can race into Frigates and Privateers, that tech alone generally spells doom for shaka no matter what if you can protect your territory. That always been the case in all the encounters I had with Shaka unless he was positioned in a way where he won't become relevant to me until late game.

Because the AI has a tendency to charge facefirst into volleys of cannonball fire from ships even when they become landlocked or is always landlocked which allows the mediocre troops of time period sweep in and pick off the remnants of impis safely. It should be mentioned that I was landlocked and I devoted all my resources into getting a powerful port city up and running at all costs.
Fight from sea instead of land is a very good idea to avoid the advantage of Impis and Shaka's terrible land power. But that works only if Shaka is a bit far from you so his land unit can't attack you capital directly and there is a long shoreline of his kingdom.
And that is why I like to use battleship to fight against him, even stronger and farther.

Fight from sea instead of land is a very good idea to avoid the advantage of Impis and Shaka's terrible land power. But that works only if Shaka is a bit far from you so his land unit can't attack you capital directly and there is a long shoreline of his kingdom.
And that is why I like to use battleship to fight against him, even stronger and farther.

It also depends on terrain, I also had the option of hiding behind a small string of mountains + lakes or battling on the edge of marshes only if I didn't went for the port city strategy. Battling on a river can hurt the advantage of impis.

Top Bottom