How to deal with the mother of all forward-settles

loserforsale

Chieftain
So I'm in the process of moving from Immortal to Deity. Load up a game as Poland, run into Pocatello around turn three, see a rather nice river+mountain site, another nice site with Uluru and... what's that? A gigantic Shoshone city right in front of my capital?

I have no idea how to respond to this. Going to war seems like a good idea, but I also need to develop my capital... can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks.

PS. In case the image isn't showing, it can be found at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220175946

My best guess is that you're diffidently not ready for war. Regular warriors won't cut this as that city has some pretty good defence for the turn age. I'd say surround him with your own cities (Conquer the nice wonder-river city later) than wait for some siege and ranged units. before launching an attack because at this stage, you'll never take it.

OMFG turn 7, were you able to see this coming? I'd develop my cap and settle around him tech archery and 3 archers plus you warrior should take it this early.

That is a great screenshot! Sucks to be Warsaw.

I would be really tempted to dip 2 points into Honor for the Great General, buy the riverside plains tile between the ivory and the dyes, and send my GG to citadel bomb the plains tile on the other side of the river, stealing his dyes, stone and wheat tile. Most of those couldn't be worked by Warsaw, but it would be some measure of pay-back.

Undoubtedly a bad plan in the long run, but very satisfying.

I'm not a diety-level player (I play on King), so maybe this advice is bad on higher levels:

I would suggest changing your exploration pattern, for one thing. Don't send your starting warrior over hills or through forests; it just slows them down. Try to send your warrior to explore flat lands if possible. There seems to be flat land to the south west (through the narrow pass in the forest). That would allow your warrior to reveal more of the map faster (and hopefully get more goody ruins and cs meetings. Once you have your Scout built (in 3 turns), send it to explore that hilly area, as it will not be slowed down by all the rough terrain.

wow that's why I don't play deity. I'm pretty sure if the AI stole one of my luxes on turn 7 I would just restart.

Go Liberty -> drop your free Settler near as many lux as possible and start getting Archers rolling is about the best I can say, least you still have those Ivory.

EDIT: Or grab Uluru to the east there ASAP before he does and try to play nice for a bit.

AI Shoshone really is bull on Deity sometimes lol

Did you move away from your spawn location to go coastal. it looks like you abandonded a capital site and left it open for the AI. Optimal spot would have been 1 SW of the dyes.

I would try a version of Browd's. Try to buy both the tile he says and the one across the river, then plant your GG on the western wheat. Steal everything from him and have your citadel w/in shooting distance of his capital.

I strongly dislike playing against the Shoshone as a neighbor. Last time, I CB rushed him before the NC. Would have worked, but the other AI's hated me, and I had no trade partners for Beaker Caravans.

That starting location as a whole is bad, besides. Restart.

Can you post the save? (Only if it doesn't have DLC enabled. I don't have much DLC.)

Did you move away from your spawn location to go coastal. it looks like you abandonded a capital site and left it open for the AI. Optimal spot would have been 1 SW of the dyes.

No, I founded my capital on the starting spot. I would almost certainly be better off if I had moved my settler to the spot you indicated, though: I just hate to abandon a coastal start given how powerful sea trade is relative to land trade.

I'm tempted to play on in this position just to see if I can handle it. Will probably try LC's advice about going into Liberty, use the extra social policy/policies to get some Honour, and set about some Classical/Medieval era warmongering.

The game has all the DLCs, so Gori probably won't find it of much use; that said, I'm attaching the save file for anyone else with a masochistic streak. I'm afraid this is the turn 7 save rather than the initial save - I wrote the initial post, saved the game, and then started a new game in order to wait for advice.

Attachments

• Casimir III_0007 BC-3720 MOAFS.Civ5Save
    652.9 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom