How to: Default Advanced Settings

SuperHumanist

Chieftain
[I'm quite new around this forums, I hope this is the correct place to create this new thread]

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this new thread for several reasons:

1. I'm pretty sure nobody has posted a thread about what I'm going to write here and worked on it untill the end.

2. I'm very thankful to the civfanatics forums for all the help it offers to civ players.

3. I'm quite enthusiastic because of me finally finding some of the solutions to this never-completely-answered nightmare (I know many people talk <snip> about who wants to spend some time looking for a way to save some Advanced Settings options as default, but I couldn't care less).

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;

HOW TO:

DEFAULT ADVANCED SETTINGS

&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;&#8362;

After spending quite a while looking for a complete solution to the problem of not being able to save some Advanced Settings options by default with no success (partial solution here, thanks a lot for this, kane65, it gave me something to know what I had to look for), I decided to go look at the files myself. They didn't look complex at all, and, more important, they had to be the responsible for the Advanced Settings being by default the way they were! I'll be editing this post as I collect information; right now this is what I know about this:

[Credit to kane65 for the following]

Go to (at least on Windows Vista, I guess it'll be the same on XP and 7) "\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\"

Open config.ini with Notepad or a similar text program, press CTRL+B and search USERSETTINGS. If there isn't already, scroll to the bottom and add the following lines:

[UserSettings]

; Last Civilization Played [Don't put this explanation inside the file. To know which number belongs to the civilization you want to set as default, go to "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations", open CIV5Civilizations with Notepad or similar, press CTRL+B and search <PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex>; there you have the USA civ, and the number inside <PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex> is the number that "belongs" to the USA civ; here kane65 put the number 6 as an example, which belongs to France; you can find the other civs numbers by scrolling down and looking for the <PortraitIndex>?</PortraitIndex> line; I say all this because I'm not sure how people with the DLCs are going to have it.
LastCiv = 6

EDIT2: Looking for the number belonging to the Mongols in the CIV5Civilizations.xml file I've realised Mentos list may be not valid anymore due to the DLCs, here is the probably correct list:
0 America [*cough*]; 1 Arabia; 2 Aztec; 3 Babylon; 4 China; 5 Egypt; 6 England; 7 France; 8 Germany; 9 Greece; 10 Inca; 11 India; 12 Iroquois; 13 Japan; 14 Mongol; 15 Ottoman; 16 Persia; 17 Rome; 18 Russia; 19 Siam; 20 Songhai; 21 Spain; 22 Vikings;

I hope someone with the DLCs will tell me if the numbers are correct or not soon.

EDIT2.1: I keep getting Rome as the default civ when saving it as:

; Last Civilization Played
LastCiv = 14

Mongols aren't in the CIV5Civilizations.xml file, but in CIV5Civilization_Mongol.xml (which can be found in "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_01\Gameplay\XML"); however, its PortraitIndex is 0 there;

I repost Mentos' civ list since it may be more correct than my theories after all :lol:
0 Washington - America; 1 Harun al-Rashid - Arabia; 2 Montezuma - The Aztecs; 3 Wu Zetian - China; 4 Ramesses II - Egypt; 5 Elizabeth - England; 6 Napoleon - France; 7 Bismarck - Germany; 8 Alexander - Greece; 9 Gandhi - India; 10 Hiawatha - The Iroquois; 11 Oda Nobunaga - Japan; 12 Suleiman - The Ottomans; 13 Darius I - Persia; 14 Augustus Caesar - Rome; 15 Chatherine - Russia; 16 Ramkhamhaeng - Siam; 17 Askia - Songhai; 18 - ; 19 - ; 20 Pachacuti - The Inca; 21 Isabella - Spain; 22 Nebuchadnezzar II - Babylon; 23 Genghis Khan - Mongolia

; The rest of these are self-explanatory. Just remember that the lowest setting starts with 0 not 1.
; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Last Game Speed Played
LastSpeed = 2

; Last Map Type Played
LastMapScript = Assets\Maps\Pangaea.lua

; Last Map Script Was Random
LastMapScriptRandom = 0

; Last Map Size Played
LastMapSize = 0

; Last Map Size Was Random
LastMapSizeRandom = 0

; Last Map Type Was Earth
LastMapWasEarth = 0

; Last Game Difficulty Played
LastDifficulty = 0

· Kane65 posted the partial solution a year ago, and the patches changed these files so that part of his solution doesn't work as he said anymore (I didn't get it to work his way, I can't be completely sure if it's because of a mistake I made). The following solution was given by Zyxpsilon (which worked for me):

The Advanced Settings options of check/uncheck are found in the file CIV5GameOptions, which can be found here "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo". To get checked by default the options you want add <Default>1</Default> right under it.

· I've found out how to set by default the world's age, the temperature, the rainfall, the sea level and the resources distribution. Go to "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\Lua" and open MapGenerator.lua; scroll down a bit and you'll easily identify the lines.

· This is so frustrating! I've been several hours now looking for the way of chosing the default number of city-states on each map size but nothing seems to work. The most absurd thing is that in "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo" there's a file called CIV5Worlds.xml which actually looks like the one being responsible for the default number of players and city-states on every map size (among other functions, of course), but setting to 0 the number on the line <DefaultMinorCivs>#</DefaultMinorCivs> will apparently do nothing! I seem unable to find another file with such city-state data.

EDIT: In CIV5Worlds.xml, however, the default number of city-states (called "minorcivs" or "minorcivilizations" in the files I've been working on) on each map size is the one you can see in the normal setup. That is, when I go into advanced setup with huge map size selected the default number of city-states is 18, not 24, which might mean it's not the CIV5Worlds.xml file which should be studied. Maybe the files which should be studied are AdvancedSetup.lua, AdvancedSetup.xml (which can be found in "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\UI\FrontEnd\GameSetup"). I think so because it's about UI (buttons, boxes and all that stuff), and it is possible (to me) that the number of city-states bar is in a certain position by default because of what is said in these files. I know almost nothing about the file CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll (which can be found in "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v"), but using Windows Grep (go here to know what it is and to download it) and looking for "minorciv" in "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v" gave me CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll as the only result. Something is something, I guess. I hope someone with much more knowledge about this than I have can help me soon.

· I haven't found out how to get unchecked as default the victory conditions I don't want to play with.

I hope someone can soon help me find the missing parts of the complete solution to this great lack of the game!

I wouldn't try it myself, but thanks for your effort. :)

Btw, check out the mod-forum...ppl like Bhaev and kael knows a lot of stuff.

Can someone confirm that this works?

If so, we'll sticky this thread...er...where...um...in Civ5 tech support (fits more, and we have too many stickies in GD).

The last advanced settings's default options I changed showed up correctly in the advanced settings screen, but I think I actually didn't try playing. Now, whenever I try to play the screen freezes when I close the welcome message (I can see the settler and the warrior but the game freezes there and I have to CTRL+ALT+SUPR and end it.

However, I've deleted the modified Assets and replaced it with the semi-original one, which I modified a few things in but worked. Now I'm going to try playing a map with just 2 civs I usually played lately and see if it's completely broken or if it's because of me including some civs I didn't use to play with in the game. If it doesn't work, I will reinstall the game and try playing. Of course, if it works fine I'll make the changes I talk about in this thread and retry it with no fear, since right now I believe the problem is not with those changes, but with something else out of the Assets folder (which is wierd, since I can't remember changing anything out of Assets between the working and the non working game).

I really don't care where this thread is stickied, what's important is people interested in this or who may help us find the complete solution not missing it :goodjob:

EDIT: I've reinstalled it and now it works with all the changes mentioned in this thread!

You should post this in the modding section. Personnally, i don't really understand what you are explaining in the op. I have too much bad english and bad programming knowledge i guess. But when something will be finally done and easy to use, i will gladly use this trick for some HoF games.

You should post this in the modding section. Personnally, i don't really understand what you are explaining in the op. I have too much bad english and bad programming knowledge i guess. But when something will be finally done and easy to use, i will gladly use this trick for some HoF games.

HoF = Hall of Fame ??? or what?

Anyway, it's not complicated, if you can't understand what I'm saying on the OP, you wouldn't understand it simplified either :S

he is a foreigner and his english isn't great. it isnt about how complicated it is, just a language barrier.

i might try this later when i have some time. the only "always on" adv. setting i want is quick combat anyway. it sucks that this game didnt come with a feature to allow them to be "always on." maybe in a future civ?

also, that lime/neon green text color is really hard to see against a white background. colored text is fine, but that one is hard on the eyes.

HoF = Hall of Fame ??? or what?

Anyway, it's not complicated, if you can't understand what I'm saying on the OP, you wouldn't understand it simplified either :S

HoF=Hall of fame yes.

It would be nice if this trick can be made under a mod that you can download and install(like getting an extra menu or something), if possible.

Top Bottom