How to design a scenario

EDIT:

I found a wonderful guide, written way back in 2003 by Casus Belli. It came with a stupendous amount of resources in this thread. All these mighty tutorials out there and they are simply lying in dusty corners.

This gives you great templates for your pedia entries, with all the right spacings, line numbers, effects on text etc. Nice :cool:

Attachments

• CB_Definitions_Template.doc
    38.7 KB · Views: 351
Rambuchan said:
I found a wonderful guide, written way back in 2003 by Casus Belli.

Cassus Belli seems to have shown up, produced his magnum opus and then disappeared. I wonder what other stuff is out there. Are the Dead Sea Scrolls of CivIII hiding somewhere in the caves of the forum?

This is excellent ...

Came at the right time too as I've been inspired to create a scenario based on Dr. Who, I want to use some of those amazingly crazy units that have been created like the Daleks, Skreech, Space Froggy, Slugs of War and of course those amazing Pandas.

My question is if you use an existing map ... is there a tutorial on how to easily tweek it?

Basically I want to reduce a map back to the terrain and then add resources, roads, cities, etc.

I'm fairly sure there's an option in the Editor somewhere to remove all resources, cities, etc. But if you can't find one, it's just a matter of doing it manually.

Funny you should mention Dr Who. I was thinking only just now that I would like to make such a scenario! Of course it would depend upon being able to find the right scarf prop for the Doctor...

I have downloaded a scenario and I don't know how to start it. I have looked all over the website for help and can't find instructions anywhere.

This isn't really the place to ask that - you should post such questions in the main Creation and Customization forum. Or in the thread of the scenario concerned. But I don't mind - that's how nice I am! Welcome to CFC.

The scenario ought to have installation instructions, either included with the download or in the thread where you downloaded it. But it's pretty much the same procedure for most scenarios and mods. I'm assuming you've got Conquests or Civ III Complete. The scenario should consist of two main elements: a biq file (this contains all the rules, the map etc) and a folder (containing all the custom graphics and so on). So if the scenario is called - say - Rood, then you might have Rood.biq and a folder called Rood. Simply put both of these things into the directory Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios. Then boot up the game and choose Civ Content from the main menu. Then you just find the scenario in the list, and bingo.

If you still have problems, post a question in the scenario's thread.

Some time ago, I created several scenarios with Civ II in which the game starts with certain Civilizations already at war. As I recall the original game has an edit function that enabled this.
When I created a historical scenario for Civ III PTW I could not find this edit function so the scenario starts with all the warring factions in place but not yet at war. This left the player and AI with options other than what history intended.
Does anyone know how to edit a scenario that enables certain Civilizations to be 'at war' from the beginning using Civ3ConquestEdit or Civ3XEdit?

You can put civs into locked wars from the start (I think this requires Conquests). However, these wars will last the entire game, and you can have only up to four "factions" in such a system. As far as I know, there is no way to have a scenario start with two civs in an ordinary war.

Thanks for that. It was the nudge in the right direction. You are quite right. I have just been looking at the two editors. PTW edit only has two tags (Scenario and Players) under ‘Scenario Properties’ so the diplomatic status of the Civilizations cannot be changed.
Conquest editor ‘Scenario Properties’ has four tags including the ‘Locked Alliances’ that you mentioned. I can’t think of there being any historical conflict that had only had two protagonists (without some allied or neutral support), so having a purely two-player historical scenario seems unlikely.

I have a great PTW historical scenario that has seven players and starts at the correct time but it starts on the eve of the conflict war. Now that I know about the Conquest options, I would like to convert the scenario. But, I don’t think that it is possible to convert the PTW map so it looks as if I will have to recreate everything again using CivConquestsEdit?
If they are not already mentioned in your 'How to design a scenario' article, possibly you could add a chapter on how to have the scenario start with a conflict?

I've since discovered that a PTW scenario can be imported into Civ3ConquestsEdit and then saved as a Conquest scenario. I've since aligned the warring parties and am busy modifying my original scenario, adding a few new units that I created that better suit the period. Thanks.

rhodie said:
I've since discovered that a PTW scenario can be imported into Civ3ConquestsEdit and then saved as a Conquest scenario. I've since aligned the warring parties and am busy modifying my original scenario, adding a few new units that I created that better suit the period. Thanks.

Hi rhodie, your 'Defeat into Victory' was a very good scenario for its time. I liked the mosquito and thunderstorm units and used them for my own mod. I attache a link what I did with your thunderstorm unit. Good luck for the revival.:)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3781385 (post 13)

Thank you Civinator. It’s nice to hear from someone else who liked the scenario. That was an innovative idea using the monsoon unit graphics for the volcanoes.

It may be a while before I manage to rejuvenate the original scenario, as apart from various improvements, I still have to create the 3D model and animations for at least one new unit. To make the scenario more historically correct, I will be replacing a few incorrect units (like the pre-war one-man Carden-Loyd tankette) with a few WW2 British and Japanese armoured units that were scale modelled on authentic designs.

Apologise to Plotinus for using this thread for scenario chatter.

I got a question about adding techs
I am currently making a War on Terrorism scenario and i want to add in an end global warming tech. Is there a way i can make it to where when you discovered the tech you science will increase?

I've looked all threw here for the help i need but most things here are beyond my problem, any way I need help

I started by generating a pangea map and filled in the balance of the water with land. I choose to modify a few of the units bambardment ranges and added a bombardment range=1 to the "Army" to represent throwing a grenade

I intend to use this as a 2 player vs 8 AIs so I placed 2 human cities in the center of the map and random starting locations around the outer portion of the map. I then assigned the human player cities to Rome and Carthage, placed a few units including an Army unit in each city. I then went to the alliance screen and put both humans in 1 and the balance of the playable leaders in the other 3 alliance slots and saved it.

When i opened it as a pbem game I immediately won so I have no idea what went wrong.

I hope someone ran into this before
Please help

That's possible. Or perhaps the population/territory of the players' civs is sufficiently larger than their opponents' to generate an instant victory. Try turning off Conquest victories and seeing how the map looks when you play it and you might see what the problem is.

Top Bottom