How to Export a Spore Creation

Voyhkah

Undead
This is a tutorial I found on the Spore forum, it tells how to turn a Spore Creation into a Collada file.

If you don't have spore, get it. It's one of the greatest games ever made, and it canbe used to make vehicles, creatures, and buildings. And, as if that weren't enough, there is an in-game gameplay where you progress from a cell to a space captain!

Sadly, Blender has problems with Collada, but this is still really cool!

Here's the tutorial: http://www.spore.com/comm/tutorials/export_creatures.

See a tutorial to import a spore collada into blender: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/38779.page

Enjoy!

1) Spore is ruined by the stages
2) Using spore as a 3D modeller is a stupid idea
3) You have a mod website when you haven't even released one version yet!

I can think of bigger problems with spore than just the stages (personally, i liked the last three).

Overall, using spore as a 3D modeller isn't really a stupid idea. It certainly is easier to do than making a model completely from scratch, although making a good model is still fairly difficult.

However, the spore website has plenty of files made by people with too much time on their hands that would be rather useful to export. Overall, now having access to this repository of files is quite interesting.

Yes but all you can create is creatures, creating any unit like thing for civ 4 isn't going to work very well. Also you can't change size thus having huge units intetionally small etc.

You can also create buildings and vehicles, and you can change size.

But like I said, i think the bigger benefit here is convert stuff from the Spore repository of files, where there actually are some decent things, rather than use it to make entirely new models.

@PizzaPlatypus - not to get offensive or anything, but you did get offensive in your first post.
Stating your opinion on something (even if it's negative) is one thing, trashing like you did is a whole different thing.

@Voyhkah - doing units art work is definitely not my thing, but I see a great potential in this :goodjob:

@PizzaPlatypus - not to get offensive or anything, but you did get offensive in your first post.
Stating your opinion on something (even if it's negative) is one thing, trashing like you did is a whole different thing.

@Voyhkah - doing units art work is definitely not my thing, but I see a great potential in this :goodjob:

Thanks for backing me up.

Anyway, Spore's ability to create creatures will be really useful for modders who want to make mods with things other than just people, for example me (Total conversion alien mod) and Androc The Orc (Evolution Mod).

It has now officially BEEN DONE! Blender can't handle .obj files, so I used a .3ds, and IT WORKED!

Not that I hadn't expected it to.

I read this thread awhile ago before I started doing stuff with unit art. After finding it again and seeing that no one seemed to make any spore units for civ 4 I decided to go ahead and give it a try to see if it was even possible.

It was indeed possible and not overly complicated, mainly because I already had experience with blender/nifskope.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the texture files to appropriately in civ4 so I had to take the diffuse texture into GIMP and virtually remove the alpha opacity. After that there were still some holes in the texture so I just manually filled them in and then just used TeamColor to take care of the rest.

Here is what I ended up with:

It looks almost exactly like it did in spore which is good :D

A few things I have learned from doing all of this is that spore is not really a good game to get models for civ4 from. While it is indeed possible to use spore models using the tutorial; the texturing issues and the amount of Vertices, it has over 4 times as many as a normal civ4 unit, might make it difficult to do much with the models in civ4 without decimating which would render their textures useless.

Top Bottom