How to get a job (or not)

1. If I tell someone not to wear a suit and they do, I disqualify the candidate for not being able to follow simple instructions.

2. The best way to ask about when a decision may be made is to phrase it similar to 'I'd be interested to know what is the norm for a decision to be made since I'm going on other interviews and may receive offers. Since this position is my preference I would prefer not to take any other position unless I'm am sure that this one will not be offered.?

Well they started the interview off describing their hiring process and they're interviewing people next 2 weeks before offers so guess that aspect sorted itself out

Good luck!!

Anyone know any job websites that focus on more professional jobs, legal in particular (but not exclusively)? Monster is nice and all but it kind of caters to more low skill and tech jobs.

Have you tried these guys?

http://www.theladders.com

I do not know how they do with legal though.

Indeed.com gets lots of traffic these days.

I've been working in the equivalent of a middle-management role at a tiny startup for 3 months, the highest-level role I've had so far. Due to financial issues, the company is winding up after May.

Would the 4 months of experience in this role really count in prospective employers' eyes? Or is it too short to prove that I can work in similar-level roles in larger companies?

It all depends.
It's all about the salesmanship. If you can sell it, they'll know that you can do it.

And of course assuming that your middle-management role there wasn't in finance. ;)

How many do you manage?
How big is your budget?
How much discretion do you have?

If your experience lines up a new role it will count.

You actually have a lot of wiggle room there since there is only so much they can verify, (if anything more than length of employment)

I've been working in the equivalent of a middle-management role at a tiny startup for 3 months, the highest-level role I've had so far. Due to financial issues, the company is winding up after May.

Would the 4 months of experience in this role really count in prospective employers' eyes? Or is it too short to prove that I can work in similar-level roles in larger companies?

Depends, some interviewers may be super inquisitive and for whatever reason (they shouldn't be) will ask what you could have done better to save the company. It shouldn't have to come don't to salesmanship as everyone is unique, but yes you are gonna have to sell yourself.

It would count here in startupland.

And would you really decide to act as if it didn't count?

Thanks for the replies.

It all depends.
It's all about the salesmanship. If you can sell it, they'll know that you can do it.

And of course assuming that your middle-management role there wasn't in finance. ;)

Nope, it wasn't.

How many do you manage?
How big is your budget?
How much discretion do you have?

If your experience lines up a new role it will count.

It probably won't. It's a tiny startup with minuscule budget. I had a large amount of latitude and creative freedom, though.

Depends, some interviewers may be super inquisitive and for whatever reason (they shouldn't be) will ask what you could have done better to save the company. It shouldn't have to come don't to salesmanship as everyone is unique, but yes you are gonna have to sell yourself.

When I sell the experience, it wouldn't be about how the company could have been saved, given that the new team has not had the opportunity to do very much. We managed to double our 'client base' in the short time, but that wasn't going to turn things around within 3 months. Maybe we could save it if we had 1 year.

And would you really decide to act as if it didn't count?

No, but if the 4 months would help land me a better job of course that would be awesome.

No, but if the 4 months would help land me a better job of course that would be awesome.

There you go, baby. You've done the thing so be the thing.

Perception becomes reality. Good luck.

Aelf, if the company has folded then take some time to line up references from your past managers and directors. They can help to represent you as a skilled manager to other employers.

Sometimes having the management team that ran a company into failure as a reference may lack a certain credibility.
But really, unless they're offering it without any effort on your part, don't waste your time.

It how they perceive you that's important. What others say can be manufactured so usually marginalized.

You're right, it rarely hurts. Especially if they're willing without much effort required on your part.

Managers of a shop that folded are probably more likely to offer references. For aelfs situation, a good reference can help to diminish the experience gap.

Top Bottom