How to get SVN working step by step tutorial

code99

Warlord
First of all I apologize for any typos i may have done (english isn't my native tongue) and also if this is the wrong section to post such things (seemed right to me).

I've seen a lot of people that couldn't make SVN work and I always thought of making a short step by step tutorial about it but never got a chance to do it until someone actually asked me to do it so here I am.
It would be great if this got sticked so it would be easy access in the future, instead of digging through the forums.

Feedback is always welcome and please post here if something is unclear or in case I made a mistake or something.

I've wrote this tutorial in the simplest way possible so that anyone with a basic understanding of computer usage will understand, which means that some things might seem obvious to many but please bear with me.
I've included screenshots for most steps, press show button under every step to see them.

Note 1 : This tutorial will only cover how to download files from the repository and how to use them (in our case mods, how to download them and get them to work).

Note 2 : Be aware that I didnt resize all the screenshots so they are in their original resolution which is 1680x1050.

In this tutorial I will use Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn mod as example. The process is pretty much the same for other mods.

Step 1

Download Tortoise SVN from here and install it (it doesn't mather where you install it).

*Be sure to select the right version (32bit or 64bit) in base of your OS.

Step 2

Create a folder somewhere with whatever name you'd like.

*I would advise you to create the folder somewhere with at least 5 GB of free space.

Spoiler :

Step 3

Right click the newly created folder and if you installed TortoiseSVN correctly you should see a button called "SVN Checkout", press it.

Spoiler :

A small window will appear. In the following screenshot i will explain only the most important buttons and features.

Spoiler :

Insert the URL for the repository and press ok to download the whole repository, otherwise press choose items to download only the files you want.

Spoiler :

Now wait for it to finish downloading.
*Note that depending on your internet speed and the amount of data you are downloading, it might take some time so for large downloads i suggest you do it overnight.

Once the download is finished you can proceed to the next step.

Spoiler :

Step 4

Now that you have downloaded the data, create another folder somewhere in your machine (name it as u see fit), then right click the folder containing the downloaded data, go to TortoiseSVN and in the submenu that pops up press Export and choose the folder you just created as destination and finally wait for it to finish exporting.

Spoiler :

Once it finishes you can use the files you just downloaded/exported.

Spoiler :

For those who use this tutorial for other than Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn, you are done, have fun and I hope this tutorial helped you. Feedback is highly appreciated.

For those who are using this tutorial to download the latest beta version for Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn please read on, you are not finished yet :)

As you might have already noticed once you downloaded RAND and looked at the contents you noticed there are other things besides the main mod folder.
Well, Afforess wrote a custom installer for this 2.0 version of the mod and I will show you bellow how to make it work.

Of course this is NOT mandatory, if you just want to play the mod right away you can simply copy the folder called "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" from the export folder to your civ4 btw mod folder and load it in-game but if want to assemble Afforess's custom installer then read on.

Step 1

Download InstallJammer from here.

*Download installjammer-1.3-snapshot.zip. Should do the trick.

Spoiler :

InstallJammer should be in a .zip archive, extract the folder somewhere on your machine and run installjammer.exe from the extracted folder.

Step 2

Once you open InstallJammer, open a new project by going in the File menu and clicking open.

Spoiler :

In the window that just opened, navigate to the files you exported earlier and open "A New Dawn Install Script".

*In case you cant see the file, change the box in the lower right corner from "InstallJammer Project Files" to "All Files".
Note : It might take a few moments to load the file, if InstallJammer appears to be frozen, dont worry its normal.

Spoiler :

Step 3

Once you press Build Install the program will start building the installer.

*InstallJammer might freeze after you press build install and nothing will happen for a few moments, dont panic, its totally normal. Give it a few moments and it will "un-freeze".

Spoiler :

After a few moments it will un-freeze and the program will build the installer. Note that this might take some time.

*I've noticed that if you fiddle with InstallJammer window after it started building the installer it will freeze again and this time for the whole duration of the process but dont panic it will un-freeze when its done.

Spoiler :

Step 4

Once the installer has been built, you can quit InstallJammer and install the mod from the newly built installer.
The mod is located in the folder you extracted the files earlier. Look for a folder called "output", inside should be Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn's installer.

Spoiler :

Install and play and thank Afforess for his fantastic work.

I hope this tutorial was helpful to someone. Feedback and critisim is highly appreciated !

Top Bottom