How to prevent a culture flip?

BigThumper

Chieftain
In my current game (Prince, standard world) I've captured Tours, the French's second largest city. Their border remained pressed up against the city on three sides when I signed a peace treaty a few turns later. Now French revolts have begun. I've packed the city with cultural improvements, it has my religion, I've dropped a culture bomb, but I can't seem to stop the riots or move the border. Is there anything I can do?

Unless you turned on the option, i dont think captured cities will ever flip, tho they can constantly revolt. If theyre under pressure from an extremely high-culture city (like a capital or cities with a bunch of wonders) the only way to truly relieve the pressure is to capture/burn the offending city.

xxaaaxx said:
Unless you turned on the option, i dont think captured cities will ever flip, tho they can constantly revolt. If theyre under pressure from an extremely high-culture city (like a capital or cities with a bunch of wonders) the only way to truly relieve the pressure is to capture/burn the offending city.

However it seems that the city can flip to some other civilization. At least in one game I captured one city from Japan, which was next to border of Eqypt. It turned out that the Eqyptian cities near the border had very strong culture, and the captured city became totally enveloped by Eqyptian territory. I dropped a culture bomb, but that did not help at all, and eventually the city revolted and flipped to Egypt. I was quite dissapointed and suuprised, because I hadn't take into account possibility to lose the captured city to a third party civilization. In the same game I lost also other captured city to another civilization, and that case was even more dissapointing, because it was a holy city of two religions.

Culture bombs will do next to nothing when you're deep into oposing territory, be it the enemy you were fighting, or their well developed neighbor.

The thing is when you take a city it's culture reverts back to 0 I believe, the bomb only gives 4k, where are depending on your surroundings, most neighboring cities can have upwards of 10-20k culture.

As I understand it, you need to match and/or surpass that to begin to push their borders back.

So generally if you're taking cities that put you in this predicament, you might as well just take the whole nation.

King Jason said:
Culture bombs will do next to nothing when you're deep into oposing territory, be it the enemy you were fighting, or their well developed neighbor.

The thing is when you take a city it's culture reverts back to 0 I believe, the bomb only gives 4k, where are depending on your surroundings, most neighboring cities can have upwards of 10-20k culture.

As I understand it, you need to match and/or surpass that to begin to push their borders back.

So generally if you're taking cities that put you in this predicament, you might as well just take the whole nation.

Ok, but if I capture an enemy city near well developed "friendly" civilization which I don't want to attack ? Is there anything that can be done to prevent it to revolt and flip ?

Well culture bombing will most likely prevent it from flipping... but It won't give you that many tiles back (cit radius) if the neighbor has really well developed culture.

Also you need to keep plenty of units in there.

King Jason said:
Well culture bombing will most likely prevent it from flipping... but It won't give you that many tiles back (cit radius) if the neighbor has really well developed culture.

Also you need to keep plenty of units in there.

At least one culture bomb did not prevent flipping. Unfortunately I did not have more Great Artists. How many units would need to be in the city to help prevent flipping ?

King Jason said:

Bomb gives 15k culture

BigThumper said:
In my current game (Prince, standard world) I've captured Tours, the French's second largest city. Their border remained pressed up against the city on three sides when I signed a peace treaty a few turns later. Now French revolts have begun. I've packed the city with cultural improvements, it has my religion, I've dropped a culture bomb, but I can't seem to stop the riots or move the border. Is there anything I can do?

Ya destroy the city thats engulfing your city, works all the time ;)

absurdly said:
It varies by game speed. 15k sounds about right for Marathon.

Ya I always play Marathon ,sorry I didnt mention that. Thank you for keeping me honest;)

Top Bottom