How to run Final Frontier Plus in Windows 10

vktj

Warlord
I have gotten Final Frontier Plus (FF+) to run in Windows 10 without having to run the Civilization IV binary as an administrator (which, quite frankly, is a really bad idea in 2017). The only special privileges FF+ needs is the ability to write to ${BEYOND_THE_SWORD}/Mods/Final Frontier Plus (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Civilization IV Complete\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword/Mods/Final Frontier Plus/ ) folder.

So, to fix FF+, after installing Final Frontier Plus in that location and applying the patch, update the permissions so that the folder can be written by the user. Go to the folder in Windows Explorer (e.g. Click on "My Computer", Click on "C:" or wherever Civ4 is installed, click on "Program Files (x86)", then "2K Games", and so on until we’re in the Beyond the Sword\Mods folder), and right click on the "Final Frontier Plus" folder. Click on "Properties", then click on the "Security" tab, then click on, in the upper panel marker "user or group names" (or words to that effect), and click on the checkbox giving the user "total control" (or words to that effect) of the folder.

Once this is done, not only should Final Frontier Plus run in Windows 10, there will be no XML error messages nor messages about how Bug can not write configuration files (which happened before I did this change). I have been able to play a game and so far no problems have come up after I did this change.

I use the CD version of Civilization IV Complete without DRM; the GOG version should work the same. The Steam version may work differently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom