How to Salvage this game as Assyria?

Selereth

Warlord
So I'm currently playing a King game on Continents with 10 Civs and I'm in a long, protracted war with Alexander of all people. This has proven to be a huge problem mainly because I'm having financial issues, and what makes it even worse is the fact that he has bought up all of the city states which means I don't have very many to trade with. The only other Civ I've met is Genghis, who declared war on me even though I'm on the other side of the world.

As if that wasn't bad enough, rough terrain makes it very difficult for me to attack Greece's cities, not to mention his army is about the same size as mine plus he's getting ahead in tech.

So I'd like any tips that anyone can provide, if this game is even worth it at this point.

Attachments

• 2014-06-08_00001.jpg
    2014-06-08_00001.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 362
Looks like you've had a big diplo penalty for conquering both Arabia and The Aztecs. Try making some XBows. This should be enough to kill some of his units. Then, his will to make peace should increase, and you would be able to make peace with the CSs.

If you want to take Sparta line up your troops like this:
Longswordsmen
Crossbowmen
Siege Units
And for the Knights just pillage their resources and distract their troops.
You might have trouble setting up your forces though in the war.
Good luck

Looks like you've had a big diplo penalty for conquering both Arabia and The Aztecs. Try making some XBows. This should be enough to kill some of his units. Then, his will to make peace should increase, and you would be able to make peace with the CSs.

The only problem with that is he'll most likely declare war on me again once the peace treaty has expired, he's already done it once. In the long run, it's only a temporary solution. I really need to deliver some sort of killing blow to him.

Very much winnable game. Go after Lhasa first, then you've got Sparta's southern flank wide open. You already have all you need to take on Lhasa now, lossless; but after that, you will need more ranged to take on Sparta. Your knights should pillage Vilnius in the process of taking Lhasa.

As most people have said, your unit lineup looks decent with maybe some need of ranged units. But in your OP you said you were having financial issues. You've got 3 unused trade routes, and even if you only have 1 city state that is friendly, I would build the caravans/cargo ships and send them to available city states and boost your GPT.

Very much winnable game. Go after Lhasa first, then you've got Sparta's southern flank wide open. You already have all you need to take on Lhasa now, lossless; but after that, you will need more ranged to take on Sparta. Your knights should pillage Vilnius in the process of taking Lhasa.

Yeah, I think you are wasting your time slogging through rough terrain near Sparta.

I would also work my way through the south of Sparta.

You may also want to BUILD some Trebuchets (keep the Siege Towers as they are but create new siege units, which you will need if you want to take Athens).

Why are you researching navigation? You have one coastal city and Greece has none. Go get chemistry and wreck Greece.

you should've razed the non-capital cities from aztec and arabia. the happiness is better spent on growing your main cities at this point.
you also should send more food routes to your capital. even if the seas are filled with enemies, land routes are better than nothing.

right now just play defensive. settle your great general on that 2 tiles west of sparta, or on the north truffle. set your crossbows to defend, and wait until you have cannons.

Researching nav doesnt bother me. Its possible your goal is to fill out the remaining trade routes with cargo ships. You can build frigates to protect them--and to bombard alex's land units. You can take on sparta with trebs just fine. And then go explore the world after athens learns to speak assyrian.

Researching nav doesnt bother me. Its possible your goal is to fill out the remaining trade routes with cargo ships. You can build frigates to protect them--and to bombard alex's land units. You can take on sparta with trebs just fine. And then go explore the world after athens learns to speak assyrian.

It's not just navigation, but also optics. A big science cost for little or no gain, especially when you're in a ground war.

As notyourtypical said, og for Chemistry. Pretty much all the ground wars are own by ranged or diego units. The XBows are some kind of a permanent solution, as I assume you will DOW him before he does so. Attacking Lhasa is a good idea too, but I would stay with the City just for the time needed. You sure have problems with happiness.

Well I ended up going for the cannons of course (have to keep up with him in terms of military tech) but as I already mentioned in my OP, there's a lot of rough terrain so if I try to march in there with cannons and everything else, I'm going to lose most of my army with no guarantee that I will be able to take Sparta.

Unfortunately the World Congress has been founded so everyone will now know of my warmongering. At this point I'm debating whether I should get Dynamite and Flight and try to shoot his city with Artillery or should I take the Diplomacy hit and invade Lhasa?

I'm friends with Napoleon and Pedro so they shouldn't care too much about the whole situation.

Attachments

• 2014-06-09_00001.jpg
    2014-06-09_00001.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 128
Never mind anymore, I deleted the game because it was a huge waste of my time. I was getting tired of fending off Greece. He can go **** himself.

Top Bottom