how to solve runtime error?

only sky

Chieftain
I added the VD for DoC to DoCv1.10 , now I can choose civs, but when the game start initiating and loading the graphics, I got the runtime error. ( I use windows 7, and I downloaded the packed DoC and VD, not svn. I reinstalled the C++ from microsoft offical site)

and I really don't know how to solve it.:crazyeye:

Without additional information, that could be anything. I still have no idea what's been changed in the version of DoC you're using so I can't really can't help you there.

Bugfixing things you've implemented yourself is already hard enough but finding the problem in someone else's implementation without any information is basically impossible.

Thank you, leoreth, I guess many people sent you posts, while you use your limited time to read my post.

the day before yesterday in order to play DoC with VD, I changed my system from winXP to win 7. my computer can play DoC (the packed one I downloaded here, not the svn one.) but when I installed the VD, I got the tuntime error . I guess if I reinstalled the BTS ,doC and VD totally, I can solve the problems?

Crashing when loading sometimes means that the game can't find the graphic definition. (like you told the game in unitinfo.xml to use the artdefine_blahblahblah, but there's no artdefine_blahblahblah in artdefines.xml).

Or it could be just memory, what's with 1.10 already being a beast of dll, python, graphics and many civs. But I doubt it.

Oh, sorry, for some reason I assumed you were using the Chinese version of DoC.

If DoC works and VD doesn't, I think memory is your problem. If it was just a problem with XML definitions or a Python error, you wouldn't just get a runtime error but instead a Python exception or an XML load error.

Errors with graphic XML often don't actually show up, but result in strange terminations. I've had some experience with it. But yeah, memory can be also a problem.

You're right, if the graphic XML doesn't reference the right files (or references files that don't exist), the game can crash without further warning. But that usually only comes up when the game actually tries to draw a unit, i.e. it should be possible to reach the main menu.

my computer memory is 4G, a quite new one. i can play rise of mankind in my computer. if the problem is in the memory, I should change the memory in my laptop?

or I should simply reinstall bts and all other mods?

You're right, if the graphic XML doesn't reference the right files (or references files that don't exist), the game can crash without further warning. But that usually only comes up when the game actually tries to draw a unit, i.e. it should be possible to reach the main menu.
I've seen it happen directly on loading when I referred a non-existing graphics in FFH once, so it's not completely predictable here. If the OP has a lot of memory, then messed-up xml is a possibility. If only sky really wants to play with VD, he probably does need to reinstall RFC-DoC and VD. I don't think that reinstalling BTS is necessary, that is, if BTS itself loads fine.

Top Bottom