How to start in Industrial age?

Mordachai

Warlord
Okay - I must be doing something wrong?!

If I start a game (custom) at Industrial age, if I choose normal speed, I start a reasonable 1900 ish, but technology (steam engine) start requiring 65,000 turns. (Having played all day, with 10 fully fledged cities, I've whittled that down to about 550 turns remaining having played 50% of the game according to the game ~ 300/600 turns).

So, zero new techs researched. Hell, I'll never get even one accomplished in the arc of the game.

If I start on blitz, I start at 7694AD, and steam engine will require 1.3 MILLION turns!@#$!@#

If I start on Eternity (thinking somehow you've got the maths backwards), I still start on 7694AD and steam engine will require 650,000 turns.

WHAT?!!!!

Eternity then shows up at 10x slower than normal, but 2x faster than Blitz. Unit / building construction is insanely slow on Eternity (which makes sense), and relatively faster on Blitz (makes sense).

But there is no setting where technology - any technology - can be completed with the entire game...

---

I love this mod, but I keep wanting to play around the industrial age - which takes !@@$#!@#$!@# to get to starting from the beginning of time - and by the time I get there - even on monarch or higher - I've defeated all the real challenges in the game. I never seem to be able to have an AI opponent that's viable that late in the game.

Also, the flow of techs & buildings becomes a slog. Endless more to do without substantively making any difference to the story-arc. After getting the ability to sail the deep ocean, it's all just kind of rote.

Until we finally get tanks and aircraft etc., but ... well, I can't seem to get there and still have an AI worth fighting. They're all too back in tech or too small or both.

I tend to gift all my techs to the AIs hoping they'll catch up - but never works (too many buildings to upgrade - and they don't tend to make decisions that lead to high tech cities - not sure what the build, but it's not that competitive with my civs).

Not trying to complain about the mod - the mod is great. Just trying to explain that I can't seem to create the situation I want to play - the scenarios of WWI/WWII (very roughly).

Any ideas?

The game isn't built for starting from eras other than Ancient unfortunately, and getting it to work properly hasn't been a priority :(

If you're playing with Flex.Difficulty (For both you and the AI) that tends to help.... A bit... With the challenge playing, but things like Great Commanders, Revolutions, Raging Barbarians, Ruthless AI, and so on tend to hinder the AI more than it does you. Having any or all of those on will almost guarantee the AI will be crippled from an early time onwards.

Thanks - I'll try those things.
I do tend to play with raging barbarians, revolutions. I haven't noticed the realistic timescale.
Again, thanks :D

Thanks - I'll try those things.
I do tend to play with raging barbarians, revolutions. I haven't noticed the realistic timescale.
Again, thanks :D
Bug options, A New Dawn tab, bottom of the third column.

Top Bottom