How to take down big cities?

MeteorPunch

#WINNING
I'm playing my first game on Prince, after moving up the ladder from Warlord->Noble. Everything has been going good. I'm at war with the Mongols using riflemen and catapults. So far I've taken 3 12+ size cities from them. These were defended by 3-4 units, generally 1 rifle and 2-3 longbows. Cakewalk.

Now I'm in the process of unloading about 12 units of mine to take their capital. I figured this would be overkill - wrong. By looking at their city I think I'll need 20+ units. There is no way I'll be able to capture it anytime soon. Maybe they should have spread their defenses around and they wouldn't lose so many cities so fast.

What is the green bar across the top of the stack and the city? And how do you get it?

As far as the city goes...there are only 11 units in there that can defend! But you are right...it will take a bit to get them out of there!

The bar is the hit points bar, you can turn it on in the options somewhere.

Basically you will have to sacrifice lots of catapults/artillery versus that city, counting on lots of collatoral damage to make taking that city a reality... of course bombard the city with catapults/artillery/boats/bombers until it's defense is at 0, then start in with the actual attacks with catapults/artillery/bombers to do the collatoral damage. Then you'll just have to have a stack of attackers to take out the debilated army.

That's right - lots of siege weapons with collateral damage promotions. Pound down his defense bonus first, then make sure that you are not attacking across the river group the stack together. See if cannons will attach first if so go ahead (doing a stack attack I noticed that artillery always retreats (maybe just luck - someone confirm the opposite please if it isn't so) - if it will plan to attack with other unit - ungroup and attack with cannons - chances are you'll lose most of them but after 2-4 attacks the defenders will be softened enough to be taken on by your troops. I also have some cavalry with Flanking II promo so they have a high chance of retreat - I use them to soften the defence even more and then my Combat upgraded units move it for a kill

With that many upgraded riflemen, I'll ask just one question. How long until you can get tanks? :)

oddroot said:
The bar is the hit points bar, you can turn it on in the options somewhere.

Basically you will have to sacrifice lots of catapults/artillery versus that city, counting on lots of collatoral damage to make taking that city a reality... of course bombard the city with catapults/artillery/boats/bombers until it's defense is at 0, then start in with the actual attacks with catapults/artillery/bombers to do the collatoral damage. Then you'll just have to have a stack of attackers to take out the debilated army.

Collateral damage is something I'm not seeing a lot of players do with their catas. Lowering city defense is a very good idea, but make sure you're punishing the city stack with arty damage! City defenders have the disadvantage of ALWAYS being stacked, it's just asking to take collateral damage. Use this to your advantage. Build experienced units with buildings and civics upgrades to get the city raider upgrade to help out as well.

I prefer the +collateral damage bonus to the city raider on catapults. Thats what i'm actually using them for anyways.

If a stronger unit (read tank) won't be available for a bit then sack everything around their city to deprive them of money and starve them down so they won't get any stronger. Then you can wait it out know your units will improve while their stay the same, or eventually are disbanded.

If the enemy civ is on the verge of destruction and either you have no outstanding or potentially potent enemies, or if your other cities are defended decently enough, just use your sieges first for the collateral damage, and if necessary, sacrifice a few of your units to soften up their defenses further, especially if you feel you can take that city by the next turn. I've lost 3+ units for the sake of one city, and I did it freely to end the war quickly, destroy the enemy civ, and move on to the next issues. Be quick and efficient. A wise ruler must know when to send key units on suicide missions (and obviously, when not to!).

Thanks for the advices. Time to pillage the countryside. :D

I don't have enough attackers to take them down yet. I'll leave 2 stacks each with 2 defenders and my catapults who will bombard on every turn. The rest of my units will pillage until reinforcements arrive.

I suggest pillaging their countryside so they can't build more units.
Why pillage? It will be YOUR city soon enough so why spoil the goods? Just blockade the tiles around the city. It helps to spread your troops anyway to minimize the effect of siege weapons counter attacks which I experienced several times. Not that it helped the AI much...

Definitely pillage. If you can take out their source of iron or copper, you can reduce the threat that reinforcements will make your life difficult later. You can always rebuild those mines later, or just not worry about it if you have your own source. Bust up those cottages and mines. You'll be stuck dealing with this city for many turns, and you might not end up winning anyway...this way, you can slow down their economy and take some advantage in the long run.

Question: Is it worthwhile to try to win anything militarily once the AI gets Walls + Longbowman/better until you get tanks?

lastchance said:
Question: Is it worthwhile to try to win anything militarily once the AI gets Walls + Longbowman/better until you get tanks?

Just go for the best offensive units you can, plus siege units to break down defense percentages.

And it's best to pillage those key resources, like Hrothgar mentioned. Copper, Iron, even elephant and horse camps. Make sure they can't make horseback units, axemen, swordsmen, war elephants, etc.

Yes.

Learn how to use flanking. Cannons and Cavs both have it. Alternatively, I've had good success with well-promoted Grenadiers.

I'm getting great results by pillaging the roads to crucial military resources. For example you could send one unit up to those horses and bust down the road to them.

Pillaging key resources (the ones you already have anyway) is one thing and to that I agree - making all tiles around the city void is another. If you occupy the tile he can't work it anyway. So why?

Top Bottom