Howto play NextWar with BUG

Woodreaux

Prince
Sorry it took so long to post about this, but I got hold to Galactic Civ and had to play that for a bit, but now I'm back playing Civ again.

Following the advice of Emperor Fool, I got Next War to run with BUG. Here's how I did it.

• Installed BUG 3.5.1 using the installer. Opted to install in the Mods directory
  • Made a copy of the NextWar folder within the BTS/Mods folder. I renamed this directory (as well as the .ini & saves files bearing the name "NextWar") "NextWar BUG", for clarity. The file system only requires the top level directory (copy of NextWar) be have a different name.
  • From Mods/BUG directory into the NextWarBUG directory, I recursively copied everything that BUG has that NextWar lacks. Meaning, each branch & leaf of the BUG directory tree which doesn't appear in the corresponding branch of the NextWar tree gets copied in.
  • For each file which appears in both BUG & NextWar, I manually copied the applicable BUG content into the NextWar copy.

The directory merge is pretty easy. I did it manually, but a simple Perl script can do it real easy like.

The last step is the only one you really have to really be mindful of. There are only 2-4 shared files. A couple are XML files dealing with the 'pedia content. Those are really easy. Apply the same logic: copy the XML elements which appear in the BUG file that don't appear in the NextWar version. The xsd is pretty simple, and the doc is shallow so it's hard to get lost.

Finally, the money shot is the Python files. If forget if it was one or two. The good news is: you only need to copy over the BUG specific code. These sections are really easy to pick out because they have leading and trailing BUG and end BUG comments. You can't miss it.

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll look up the specific files and relevant sections and post the details. (After BSG, of course).

A couple of caveats.

Unless you modify your NextWar installation directory, saves from NextWar games will use the stock NextWar installation: no BUG, the spice will not flow.

I haven't tested this fully. I started a game (MOD version, not the 2100 Earth scenario), and things are going smoothly so far, but haven't reached to era of mechs and clones yet. So I cannot definitively say this totally works. But the 'pedia implies it will.

This modification is probably rather fragile, as in updates from SVN will likely require manual intervention to negotiate the changes if they affect shared resources.​

Anyway, great job on the new Military advisor and thanks for hard work yall put into the BUG project. It makes Civ IV that much better!

Thanks for the post, Woodreaux. My hope is that community members will continue doing this with other mods they want to merge with BUG and post the procedures. I specifically rewrote a lot of the BUG code for 3.0 to make this easier, minimizing the number of files that will be in common.

If you want to get really crazy, you could try checking out BUG from SVN using TortoiseSVN into a new Mods folder, copy the Next War files into BUG (can't you say "don't overwrite existing files, but copy all the new ones only" using Windows Explorer?), then manually do the two merges you did above. When you do SVN Update later and get new BUG files, the SVN client will do an intelligent merge.

SIMPLIFIED INSTRUCTIONS

[1] Install BUG in the Mods folder
[2] Copy "Next War" folder from the 'install Mods folder'(usually ...\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods) to the 'MyGames Mods folder' (usually ...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods)
[3] rename it into "BUG Next War"
[4] copy all the content of the "BUG Mod" folder (...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod) inside the "BUG Next War" folder (...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Next War). You can replace or not replace the 4 common files.
[5] Unzip the attached file inside the 'MyGames Mods folder' (...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods) keeping the paths of the zip file and replacing the 4 original files.

NOTE:
I've quickly tested the 4 merged files and this procedure and it seems OK, but a deeper test is needed, so if you have some problem please let us know.

Attachments

• BUG Next War.zip
    59.3 KB · Views: 107
SIMPLIFIED INSTRUCTIONS
NOTE:
I've quickly tested the 4 merged files and this procedure and it seems OK, but a deeper test is needed, so if you have some problem please let us know.

I've uploaded a modified version which should fix a Pyt error (Thanks to EF for this).

Please remember to set
NoCustomAssets = 1
inside your BUG Next War.ini file
if you have some mod (maybe plain BUG Mod) installed there.

SIMPLIFIED INSTRUCTIONS

[1] Install BUG in the Mods folder
[2] Copy "Next War" folder from the 'install Mods folder'(usually ...\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods) to the 'MyGames Mods folder' (usually ...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods)
[3] rename it into "BUG Next War"
[4] copy all the content of the "BUG Mod" folder (...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod) inside the "BUG Next War" folder (...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Next War). You can replace or not replace the 4 common files.
[5] Unzip the attached file inside the 'MyGames Mods folder' (...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods) keeping the paths of the zip file and replacing the 4 original files.

NOTE:
I have searched all over the forums for a discussion on how to merge Bug with Next War, and I found your post. I have discovered, being new to the forums, that BAT is a combination on BUG 4.2 and Bull 1.0? Thus, should I only be downloading BAT? and if so, how can I make all of this work with Next War given that all of this is new compared to the original post on January 27.

Amazing interfaces and gameply - love it and would like it to work with Next War if possible - my first installation resulted in the same as above - no interface whatsoever?

Any help would be great!

I was wondering if there were any changes to Cammagno's process for merging BUG with Next War? My mod is based on Next War and I haven't made any python changes, the only XML changes I have made so far are adding a couple civs, and flavored graphics for citystyles and units.

That's exactly it: the process hasn't changed--only the files in BUG. So you can't just use the files from that thread exactly as they are, but you can follow the same process he used to merge it. You might try posting to that thread or sending him a PM.

I just put Bug and BUll into next war mod, everything seems to work well except i can't access the Domestic and Financial adviser screens.I can get them with Dull/BUG in a normal game, just not in Next War. any help?

How do i post a log? where do i find it? Sorry, i have never done it before, i have never really tried any mods before so i have never had any problems.

Logs are created in My Games \ Beyond the Sword \ Logs. You can ZIP the two I mentioned (Err and Dbg) and attach that to a new post in this thread.

Follow the instructions on the Troubleshooting page to enable logging. This will create those two log files.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugInit", line 98, in callInits
  File "CvScreensInterface", line 1174, in init
  File "CvScreensInterface", line 150, in createDomesticAdvisor
  File "BugCore", line 139, in __getattr__
AttributeError: isCustDomAdv

It looks like your "Assets/Config/BUG Advisors.xml" from BUG is incomplete. The first option that gets created is BugFinanceAdvisor; it is missing all of the Customizable Domestic Advisor options. Did you merge a complete, current version of BUG? CDA was added to BUG long before the Finance Advisor.

Thanks for the help. I figured out what i did. I put the file downloaded from this Forum in the wrong folder. I redid the whole set up and it works now.

Top Bottom