Huns issue

I just played my first game as the Huns, and got a big surprise. I like using the knights midgame to swoop in and capture, after crossbows and siege units soften things up. But I see with the Keshiks, they can't fight directly, since they have bows. When you play as the Huns, what do you use? Keeping a horseman seems to be the only unit with mobility, although it is weak. The only other real option is a musketman, but no mobility.

Thoughts???

Is this a Mongols question, or a Huns question?

As Mongolia, Make as many Keshiks as possible. As the huns, I have found that 2-3 horse archers are sufficient.

Regardless if it is about the Huns or the Mongols, the basic tactics is the same.

Huns: Use Horse Archers to go in and clear out any units and also perhaps weaken the city and then swoop in with a battering ram or two. Horse Archers and perhaps warriors mainly clears the way.

Mongols: Use Keshiks to "circle the wagon" and weaken the city and the then swoop in with another unit. Horseman are good for this or stray footman soldiers. Stronger cities might need siege machines.

Sorry - at work, and don't have the game with me. The problem is that I upgraded some horsemen, thinking they would be knights, and then I saw I could not use one to catch a city. I kept one as horseman, but not as strong as knight. I also used a musketman, but obviously I lost the mobility, with the ability to keep the unit back, and then swoop in after I knocked out the city's defenses.

Just seems to be a problem that I would not have expected with a UU.

He obviously means Mongolia.

Keshiks are awesome but indeed, they need something else to finish off cities. You have three choices:

1.)FAST - if you insist on having a uniformly mounted group, you need to build at least 1 horseman before chivalry to finish off cities until metallurgy(see option 3.) I'd recommend having a backup as well.

2.)PRACTICAL - keep a non-mounted melee unit (sword/pike/longsword) to take cities out. Yes it will slow down the group's progress, but not as much as you'd think since the Keshiks will be removing all the land forces first and then need to reduce the city's HP to 0 before they're ready for the finishing unit. And Yes, they get bombarded by the city because they can't move from outside of bombardment range to attacking range in a single turn but this is OK because a 1HP unit will always conquer a 0HP city, and it heals faster in the city.

3.)PROGRESSIVE - After Metallurgy, Lancers become the city finishers. Also a good reminder that you're running out of time to build Keshiks.

Top Bottom