i cannot decide ...

jatibi

Warlord
i am doing a scenario now for almost two and half years, clicking around whenever i'm bored.

questions: as it is a world map, depicting the time around the invasion of iraq, unit movement is a very big question.

helicopters are the particular problem i can't solve.

there are two answers, under following conditions:
a) there are no functioning airports like in civ3. no boing 747 carries bags full of coal from australia to iceland.
b) there are transport planes of various sizes that work like the helicopter in civ3c.

answers:
1) i will use helicopters as they are used in original civ3c: dropping earmarked units in a short range. negative effect: they can't be loaded on planes, and withdrawal of forces, that were flown in by helis proves difficult. armed helicopters than have to be air units, used like bombers.

2) air assault units. as there are armoured infantry vehicles, like bradley, m-113 and similar units, that carry infantry, i will do a mixed unit with helis. the air assault infantry. i use infantry attack animations, and helicopter move animation, a very fast ground unit. negative effect: helicopters can't carry other things, like artillery, settlers, workers. attack helicopters than are ground units, too.

i favour the second answer. what do you think?

Maybe both? And more?
- air assault infantry, as ground unit with fast movement and some capability for attack and defence
- transport helis, which are quite bigger and so can carry and drop artillery (ever tried to put a howitzer in a gunship?)
- attack helis as ground unit with high attack and low def

just a thought, i hope it can be used as inspiration :)

Edit: Sieht übrigens nicht übel aus :)

I usually set attack choppers as ground units with both paradrop and amphib capabilities as well as all terrain as roads. Given that -- all things being equal -- the AI will tend to build only the highest AF unit for Attack strategy, you might want helis to require an extra resource as well.

-Oz

Wow your scenario looks really big! (Hope turntimes won't kill the gamefun)
well i would like to see transporthelis to drop infanery land attack helis Apache style) used as leathal artillery with range 1 and all terrain as roads and some movement bigger than 1 (so go there fight there and fly back cause of low def...)

thank you for your responses.

the solution is:

unit: air assault infantry (using hh-60, uh-1 .. animation)

ground
blitzattack
move: 3, bonus on all terrain (armoured troops have just 1, so helis can withdraw from combat)
amphibic

attack helicopters (ah-64, ah-1 ...)
same as above, higher attack, air defense capability

transport helicopters: (like ch-46/47, ch-53 ... )
work like civ3 helicopters, carry only foot-units (so the ch-53 will not be able to carry air-assault units...) so these big helicopters are able to carry non-,mechanized infantry (and they're equipment)

(there are transport airplanes as well)

i'm not quite sure if i add another heli unit, ground-based, with arty .. called the recce/scout/Anti Tank helicopter (like oh-58 kiowa or bo 105)

about gameplay: by the time i'm finished, our scientists will have mastered future technology 13, and by that time, no one will have a problem playing this scenario ;)

My solution:

2) air assault units. as there are armoured infantry vehicles, like bradley, m-113 and similar units, that carry infantry, i will do a mixed unit with helis. the air assault infantry. i use infantry attack animations, and helicopter move animation, a very fast ground unit. negative effect: helicopters can't carry other things, like artillery, settlers, workers. attack helicopters than are ground units, too.

And then make the helicopter unit have low defense, and it has a transport foot unit box checked (land transport), and simply check whatever you want it to be able to transport as a foot unit.

Top Bottom