I Can't Take it ANYMORE!

HannibalBarca

Chieftain
Okay...I bought Civilization IV about a week ago, using some $ I had got for my birthday. After reading all the reviews, I was sure that this was a pretty good game... :cry:

It didn't work the first time, taking upwards to 15 minutes to load a new game and having black terrain when it started (instead of a typical crash to the desktop) I took this to mean I needed a new video card, so I sprang for a GeForce 6600X. After installing this, the game worked wonderfully until about 30 minutes into the game, I get a CtD. (I cannot load saves auto or otherwise...after loading finishes half the screen truns black, the other half white and locks up) Ok, so I need more RAM, right?

I get a Gig of RAM, install that and the game works wonderfully, without any CtDs until I had to leave, whereupon I shut the game down, fully expecting it to work when I got back... :(

After installing another game (Blitzkrieg 2) I play it for a while, get bored, and pop in Civ 4. Once again, the game runs wonderfully...until....I build Stonehenge. Boom. Blue Screen of Death. Many obsceneties. I download the patch, expecting it to fix everything...how naive of me.

The patch causes another 15+ minute load time, whereupon the terrain is a sickening quilt of purple, blue and green. Sigh.... I uninstall the game and reinstall it, whereupon the game starts up after much grumbling. I disabled wonder movies to see if that would help. Instead, I am greeted with open arms by a horribly sluggish game. (ON LOW GRAPHICS FOR GOD'S SAKE) Oh yeah, and when the terrain isn't the sickening quilt, it has black spotches where my settler and scout/warrior spawn. Joy.

So I am right back where I started, and barring some miraculous fix that someone can produce :mischief: I wil consider returning this game. I have been a Civ fan since finding ToT at a flea market, and I am SICKENED. SEE IF I BUY CIV 5 JERKS!

Ive had it since release, and havent got a clean game yet. Im afaird to even install it again after hearing about BSODs, security vunerablites, over heating, and the burning out of various hardware. Its good to see tech support is so active. Its nice that they come in here and try and ease the fears, or have enough guts to admit there misstakes...either way...alot of issues being talked about on these boards shouldnt be ignored they SHOULD BE RESPONDED by a tech support mebber. I wouldnt imagen why they would let people say these things, or speculate about these issues without defending the product it was WRONG or FALSE...which makes me believe even more its true, and rather then man up they dug themselves a hole that they havent crawled out of since the first couple of days of release.

Top Bottom