I don't like the Civ 5 rivers ... the Civ 4 rivers flowed

kiwitt

Road to War Modder
In Civ 4 they flowed to the sea. In Civ 5 the appear to simply be an extension of the sea graphics and appear quite static.

Hi -Res Screen shots
Spoiler :

What to you think ? ... Am I being picky ? ... will this be fixed before release ?

I agree with you, they are the only part of the new graphics that I don't like, however, they have gotten better over the course of the released screenshots, so hopefully that means that they are being worked on

I would guess they will be improved before release, they have already improved them from the first screen shots. And it is very possible that they will look better when you play

You're essentially looking upon a work in progress, Kiw. I would say the graphics will probably be upgraded (if not much then a little) before release.

Aye the only part of the new graphics that looks ugly is the rivers, but I guess they are not finished, it's very unlikely the game will be shipped with this bad graphics for rivers.

In Civ 4 they flowed to the sea. In Civ 5 the appear to simply be an extension of the sea graphics and appear quite static.

Hi -Res Screen shots
Spoiler :

What to you think ? ... Am I being picky ? ... will this be fixed before release ?

What?!?!!? The rivers look like water just like the sea this is outrageous!!!

(Far more realistic than civ 4)

All graphics will be improved as close as to perfection as they can get before release, these are professionals we are talking about. Take GT5 for example, they have spent nigh 2 years tweaking its graphics o.0, Civ5 developers are quicker :p, nice spot though, I didnt even notice the rivers lol, they should improove.

Yep, at the moment, it almost looks as if they are actually hand drawing the rivers like you would in simcity, where anywhere below sea level is covered with water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but notice that no rivers so far have looked like they flow from mountains. And I wonder if rivers are even functional gameplay-wise in any of the screenshots or videos so far. In other words, are they purely cosmetic at this point? I suspect the answer to the last question is no, but I'm curious.

Have rivers always given a commerce bonus in Civ? They do in Civ4 atleast and I dont see why they would remove thier functionality in that as well as thier importance for defensive positioning, all of this surely adds to gameplay and will probably be in the game.

wait, they dont appear to flow on a screenshot?

Well aren't we only seeing older pictures at this point? I remeber they had released some, and the cities looked like crap, but a week or so later at e3 we saw much better city graphics. Hopefully everything is getting polished up. I personally like how iv had turns and rapids, I hope they atleast bring back rapids.

Yep, at the moment, it almost looks as if they are actually hand drawing the rivers like you would in simcity, where anywhere below sea level is covered with water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but notice that no rivers so far have looked like they flow from mountains. And I wonder if rivers are even functional gameplay-wise in any of the screenshots or videos so far. In other words, are they purely cosmetic at this point? I suspect the answer to the last question is no, but I'm curious.
Both pictures seem to be at least one tile away from a mountain or a hill. Also, the rivers look good for this stage, but can definitely be improved greatly. They need to look more naturaly shaped and instead of just hitting the sea it needs to make a delta (or maybe they went so far as to have those appear over time:lol:)

I've noticed there have been no rivers merging anywhere. Hopefully such a feature isn't simply lost in CiV

Yep, at the moment, it almost looks as if they are actually hand drawing the rivers like you would in simcity, where anywhere below sea level is covered with water.

Hm, kind of... to me they look like cutted into the ground and using the same texture (+ effects) like ocean tiles. I really hope Firaxis will improve this before release.

Both pictures seem to be at least one tile away from a mountain or a hill. Also, the rivers look good for this stage, but can definitely be improved greatly. They need to look more naturaly shaped and instead of just hitting the sea it needs to make a delta (or maybe they went so far as to have those appear over time:lol:)

on the 3 different screenshots showing new castle and the fair type thingy, all 3 rivers start basically inside the city, can you say sewer?

Pretty sure that's unfinished. The AA on coast of the river looks unfinished as well, hopefully because they still plan on adding new art.

Hm, kind of... to me they look like cutted into the ground and using the same texture (+ effects) like ocean tiles. I really hope Firaxis will improve this before release.

That's pretty much what I meant. It's how it works in simcity games - cut into the ground and it makes water the same height as the sea. By hand drawn, I don't mean literally just drawing it using paintshop but more something like a height-map editor.

Top Bottom