I don't understand Diplomacy

CalGal

Chieftain
I've new to CIV and don't understand the diplomacy proposal requests that pop up occasionally. On the left side it lists e.g. Theodora's assets; on the right side of the screen it lists mine. What does it mean "42 gold per turn" (for example). What am I doing if I accept the proposal? I get no clarification from that screen as to what the consequences or benefits might be if I accept. Help?? :confused:

The AI wants to trade with you. Sometimes you do a straight trade, 'I'll give you gems, you give me spices'.

Or 'I'll give you 30 gold and you give me spices'.

Or 'I'll give you 2 gold per turn for 30 turns and you give me spices'.

The left side of the screen shows what they have and what they're offering. The right shows what you have.

Play with it, it will make sense soon enough.

Trading is essential, especially early game, to keep your happiness up and your per-turn gold income in the positive, not negative numbers.

Thanks ! Does trading help with relations also?

Yes it does. You get a small diplomatic modifier, "we've traded recently". That, a caravan, embassy and you are almost guaranteed early declaration of friendship. Some AI's are tweaked in a way that makes them less friendly, so, don't expect it to work every time.

The diplomacy in this game is a joke. It is absolutely terrible. It's easy to game the mechanics and hence makes it invalid.

I especially hate everything about it.

Having said that, it absolutely sucks.

Okay, I got that off my chest.

Yes it does. You get a small diplomatic modifier, "we've traded recently". That, a caravan, embassy and you are almost guaranteed early declaration of friendship. Some AI's are tweaked in a way that makes them less friendly, so, don't expect it to work every time.

Two clarifications:

1. You only get the "we've traded recently" modifier if the trade is at less than "full price" -- favoring the AI. So, for example, if "full price" would be 7 gpt for 1 spice, you get no "we've traded" modifier if you do that trade. But drop the AI's contribution from 7 gpt to 6 gpt, and you will get the modifier. The greater the discount, the brighter green the modifier will be.

2. If the AI is grumpy towards you, "full price" for luxuries is reduced by one gpt per level of grumpiness (that's my term -- you won't find it in the game files!). For example, if the AI is at the first tier of grumpiness, "full price" for the spices may only be 6 gpt, so a trade at that price will generate no "we've traded" modifier. If the AI is outright hostile, they may only be willing to pay 3 or 4 gpt for a luxury -- that's "full price" in their eyes.

Two clarifications:...
3. Multiple trades within(is it 30turns) don't stack. So if your plan is to trade your way out of a diplomatic mess it won't work.

The diplomacy in this game is a joke. It is absolutely terrible...
I wouldn't say it's terrible, it needs tweaking yes.

To answer to OP:
Diplomacy is fairly basic, you have positive modifiers and negative modifiers. The total will determine the AI's stance(Friendly(hides negative diplo from you)->Neutral->Hostile). The exception to this is when they are being deceptive and I find almost %100 of the time they are being deceptive in their friendly stance. You will know this when they can no longer tolerate you and denounce you then you see all those negative modifiers. Things get interesting when they Wc is founded as you can never please everyone.....

There are 3 things you must never do and they are:
Denounce/DOW someone you have a DOF with.
DOW within 50 turns after you promised to move your troops from their borders.
Capture a CS that you DOWed, especially early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal View Post
On the left side it lists e.g. Theodora's assets :
Does this jump out at anybody else?

Like before they even read the first sentence?

No?

I need help.

Not at first, but now you mention it... :mischief:

...me neither! If I want it, I take it - that always works and I don't have to renew (I'm rubbish at playing nice!). I only trade until I've built a big enough military.

Top Bottom