[Vote] (6-17) Allow Humans To Offer Instant Items For Per-Turn Items But Block AI Requests For Them

Include in VP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recursive

Already Looping
Supporter
Original proposal (not sponsored):
Current defaultProposed defaultRationale
Ability to trade instant goods for per-turn goodsDisabled in either directionHuman can trade their instant good for AI's per-turn, but not vice versaDon't forbid a trade deal that's strictly beneficial for the AI if the human wants to take it

It makes total sense to, by default, forbid the player from trading their per-turn goods for an AI's instant goods. You can trivially exploit the AI by making these deals and then reneging, getting something for nothing (well, probably diplo penalties). It can't guard against this.

But the reverse is strictly beneficial for the AI. It's getting its payout instantly and irreversibly, and it's up to the player to curate the relationship to make good on their investment. Most notably the current default constrains tech trading - rarely, if ever, does the AI stockpile enough saved gold to fully pay what it values your tech at.

(To head off a potential criticism: Technically the AI pays you more over time than the raw gold value of the deal, but that's over a huge amount of turns, and gold now is vastly more valuable than gold later).

Note: this is only the default. Players who wish to restrict themselves further have every opportunity to do so in their config.

Spoiler Which items are considered per-turn/temporary? :

Code:
    switch (eItemType)
    {
    case TRADE_ITEM_GOLD_PER_TURN:
    case TRADE_ITEM_RESOURCES:
    case TRADE_ITEM_OPEN_BORDERS:
    case TRADE_ITEM_DEFENSIVE_PACT:
    case TRADE_ITEM_RESEARCH_AGREEMENT:
    case TRADE_ITEM_THIRD_PARTY_WAR:
    case TRADE_ITEM_THIRD_PARTY_PEACE: // Ignored in peace deals
    case TRADE_ITEM_ALLOW_EMBASSY:
    case TRADE_ITEM_VOTE_COMMITMENT:
        bTemporary = true;
        break;
    case TRADE_ITEM_GOLD:
    case TRADE_ITEM_MAPS:
    case TRADE_ITEM_CITIES:
    case TRADE_ITEM_TECHS:
    case TRADE_ITEM_VASSALAGE:
    case TRADE_ITEM_VASSALAGE_REVOKE:
        bTemporary = false;
        break;
    }

Note: If this proposal passes, vote commitments will become an instant item.

My proposal:
The same as the original proposal, except that the AI cannot make offers for e.g., 100 instant Gold for AI's Open Borders.

AI can accept such offers, and if humans press "What will make this deal work?", the AI is allowed to suggest instant items, but they shouldn't make a bunch of offers asking for them. These offers are why I turned off the setting to begin with.

A note for critics of the original proposal, the prohibition on trading one type of item for another isn't applicable between humans, between teammates, or if war is disabled in RAS. It's simply the AI choosing not to accept any trades like this, for fear of the deal being broken by a declaration of war. Receiving instant items immediately is purely beneficial to the AI, so I don't see why they should be rejected.

Last edited:
and if humans press "What will make this deal work?", the AI is allowed to suggest instant items
And how do I turn that off so I don't have to manually change the instant items back to non-instant ones?

And how do I turn that off so I don't have to manually change the instant items back to non-instant ones?
You can revert the setting back in DiploAIOptions.sql.

I don't think the AI should say "there is no way this can work" when there in fact is a way it can work.

I don't think the AI should say "there is no way this can work" when there in fact is a way it can work.
They don't do that anymore.

They don't do that anymore.
And I don't want them to start again. If there is human instant Gold available and they're legally allowed to accept it, it's fine to suggest it. I still think they should try to equalize with GPT first if possible, however.

The issue with having it be part of initial AI offers is that they'd be suggesting offers that a lot of humans would want to modify.

I think axatin (?) has made the acceptance threshold equal to 1gpt so there's no way a deal can't work.

Sponsored.

arriving a little late to discussion here -- rationale makes sense, i'd prefer to have things more symmetrically in use by AI/human, but some things are just not possible

if implemented, i wonder if this can be done as a toggle-able option in advanced setup? for those that want purely symmetrical features, can leave it off. There are also problems with these type of deals when playing with the hex conquer and release mods -- there, tiles change hands much more often, and inadvertently broken deals much more common. Even as human there's no way to predict these, and I'd just leave this option disabled when using that mod (ie most games).

If it ONLY appears when you click the equalize button and ONLY gives flat gold for the remainder that can't be converted into GPT, it's just a single button click to remove and I'm fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom