I love coastal cities

GKShaman

Prince
Anyone else feel in BNW that coastal cities got like 30 times better?

Naturally coastal trade routes got like 30 times better. In G&K they added more sea resources so excellent. Moving +1 Food and Production to the lighthouse also helped.

In addition in the exploration tree all coastal cities get +3 production so they start with 4 production. Sea trade routes with your own cities give like 10+Food and or production so ur new cities grow much faster than on on land.

Also Exploration tree gives more gold and happiness. Unlocks the louvre and lets u go mad artifact hunting which to me read FREE TOURISM GO AND GET IT! Also the theming bonuses on top of that are just funny.

Now I actually have had a few coastal wars.... So I dont know how thatd go. I mean I make naval units... lol.

Frigates are fantastic naval units for early (I guess it's mid game?) coastal wars. They're strong and fast, and have good range. Keep a privateer (or Nau if you're portugal) around and you don't even need land troops.

love 'em, except when I get stuck with a coastal city to start with that has no fish :(

I loved even before GNKs, they were (and still are) an integral part of my economy

I prefer games with rather less than more water, however in BNW this view of mine is changing. In the game I'm currently playing I've noticed that the 2x bonus for trade routes applies also to food and production bonuses. I've established two settlements far away from my original continent, bought granaries, transported 2 cargo ships there, and in ever since the initial turn, both of them were getting +10 food bonus. It's 2 freakin' hospitals!

Yes, I strongly desire to have half of my cities (2 of 4, 3 of 6) to be coastal, whereas in G&K I only needed 1. On a continents map, it becomes critical.

yes! this really helps with immersion as historically coastal cities dominate history - for the most part. Finally there is an incentive and a push to found cities on the coast, I love it.

Coastal cities have great advantages. also, if you get Exploration (social policy) Maritime Infrastructure add +3 :c5production: all coastal cities.

lol, before BnW everybody was like: "OMGWAT they are going to take away gold from Ocean tiles, I'll never ever again settle on the coast, Firaxis totally suck!!1!11!". :mischief:

lol, before BnW everybody was like: "OMGWAT they are going to take away gold from Ocean tiles, I'll never ever again settle on the coast, Firaxis totally suck!!1!11!". :mischief:

:lol:

I've gone mad when they took away gold from river tiles. :gripe:
Spoiler :
:p

absolutely. Coastal cities with rivers are awesome for trade routes. Always try to secure at least 1 nice port city.

I've gone mad when they took away gold from river tiles. :gripe:
This one is actually a totall balls-breaker. At least for me. In G&K it was profitable to spam numerous cities on rivers, each of them near one luxury resource. Such approach in BNW gets you both unhappy and broke and what's much worse, scientifically inefficient.

Honestly I almost prefer to roll Civs with a coastal start bias just for the reason of having a capital on the coast! It's almost like a hidden bonus trait nowadays.

Yep I value coastal over river nowadays. Settling on river mind, I still want it close enough to get civil service enhanced farms.

If you don't have a coastal city you're pretty much gimping yourself tremendously. A good coastal city can bring in more than a 100 gpt in the later game. And with food trade from other coastal cities they can grow to incredible sizes. Absolutely amazing cities. So amazing that I have found myself walk my starting settler for 4-5 turns just to get to the coast. It always pays off.

The coastal advantages come with a prize.
Trade vessels are twice as expensive as caravans and you are about three times as likely to loose them to barbarians or enemy AI. Submarines are now almost as powerful as nukes.

Top Bottom