Idea:Mission chains

tour86rocker

Warlord
I was thinking of ways to play the game in a fashion that rewards loyalty to the king that kind of ties together some other ideas I had.

I'm not sure if there's currently a way to have relations with the King that are greater than +1, so the mission chain would begin randomly when you have +1 with your King and perhaps have one unit with 5 experience.

The quest's text would state that The King observes your military prowess in the New World and believes that he might be able to trust you with greater military responsibilities if you first prove yourself in a smaller errand.

A black colony (like barbarian tribes in Civ4, etc) would spawn, named New Sweden or some other name from a list, and the king would ask you to conquer it in order to keep that country's influence from spreading. Perhaps it would be cool if an island actually spawned as well, due to some earlier cartographical/navigational error that somehow missed it.

The reward could be Veteran Soldiers or UU's from the Expeditionary Force, now under YOUR command and a promise of future quests to conquer entire native civilizations (or gain a certain positive level of diplomacy with them), etc.

Any thoughts?

This sounds like an intriguing idea but it may change the underlying dynamics of the game too much.... Something simpler would simply be the king demanding that you declare war on the colonies of a rival nation, b/c of a European war. If you don't declare war, you suffer a hit in relations with the king (or an REF increase), if you do, you get a small boost but larger boosts if you actually capture settlements etc etc...

...Or the king just declares war (why would he ask you, his subject?) and then your enemies starts attacking you; His local representative. (governor/viceroy, whatever)

All your soldiers work for the king, as do you. (at least until you just won't anymore)

If you don't declare war, you suffer a hit in relations with the king (or an REF increase), if you do, you get a small boost but larger boosts if you actually capture settlements etc etc...

That REF boost makes no sense. If you refuse to declare war on his enemies, that means he needs to dirvert more military to the war, meaning less available for the REF. Instead, this might work better(and be more realistic):

If you refuse his request, you suffer a -1 relations hit and you get a tax increase(to supposedly pay for his war). The REF growth rate (not it's current size) is reduced slightly because most of his military is being used in the war.

If you grant his request, the REF will actually decrease in size by 1-3 units, which will be transported to your colonies, which become yours. You can then use these units to attack the civilization you declared war on. If you stop fighting and make peace with the new world colony before the King does however, you will suffer a -3 "You tricked us!" deplomatic penalty.

I think spawning a neutral colony for conquering would mettle far less with one's game than having a king ORDER a war with a REAL colonial power.

I agree with Minger. The European nations declare war on each other, as they are want to do, thereby pitting their colonies against each other as well.

Top Bottom