Idea's for making civ5 a better game

CivFanaticMan

Warlord
Ok we all know by now that the Fraxis sold a buch of people an unfinished game, and something no one really asked for. What I wanted was a game that improved upon its predecesor (not civ rev; Civ4) But I see that Fraxis decided to take steps back and rework something that was already working. In my opinion the new features in civ5 would have been a step in the right direction if the game designers had kept some of the good features of civ4. So here is a short list of what I think Fraxis could have done better:

1. Social Policies- SP's are a step in the right direction, but... taking away Civics in the process was big mistake. I think if SP's had been combined with Civics it would have added depth and kept the longterm decision making process alive, while not sacrificing flexibility. For instance in previos civ games culture was not very important and too easy to build up. Cultures only use was for a cultural victory and fighting border wars. Turning culture into a currency so you could buy certain cultural bonus and work your way down certain culture trees (Social Policies) that you couldn't change, while keeping Civics in the game for short term decision making. A balance between the two could have kept the player engaged in thinking about the longterm game, while still being able to focus and be flexible about the current situation.

2. 1UPT- 1UPT was something people were excited about pre release. No more stacks of doom, making for a more strategic way to have war while making war more exciting by taking battles "outside of cities". I loved the idea of no more SOD's. It should have made a more interesting game where combat wasn't decided by luck and how many units you had in a stack, but by tactical thought. Sadly this causes a major problem: 1UPT creates major traffic jams. Sure this problem is supposed to be fix by giving infantry units 2 movement points so they can pass by any unit already in the tile, but what if that unit blocking is on a hill or in a forest? What if you get your unit stuck? or you can't pass by a choke point? 2UPT would be much more efficient, keeping tactical gameplay alive while reducing traffic.

3. City-states- City-states are an excellent idea in my opinion, but how that idea was executed was rather poor. City-states feel more like a liability than an asset. I have no ideas on how to improve on them as of now.

4. Happiness- Happiness in civ5 has been completely changed. Now instead of each city having a certain level of happiness, you have empire wide happiness. If one city is unhappy then your whole empire suffers. This has become a problem that many people complain about. If you conquer a enemy city, the city doesn't revolt, but you suffer a happiness penalty throughout your empire. My idea to fix this is keeping the empire wide happiness but balance it out with local happiness, so that a city in your empire can still revolt and have unhappiness. A city that is unhappy receives a production and growth penalty, while a revolting city produces nothing and can't grow. Global happiness would be less affected by 1 unhappy city, but a lot of unhappy cities could start affecting it, giving a major loss of science. I would also like to see the return of sliders in some way or another.

Feel free to discuss.

3. City-states- City-states are an excellent idea in my opinion, but how that idea was executed was rather poor. City-states feel more like a liability than an asset. I have no ideas on how to improve on them as of now.
There is a mod which makes the City State concept more interesting. You can find it HERE. Firaxis can take some help from that mod to make the CS concept less gamey.

1. I see what you're getting at, and I like the idea of combining the two to an extent. But I'm not sure how you'd go about doing this.

2. I don't agree that warfare should be made more tactical, and I don't agree a hard limit should be placed on the number of units in a tile. I do agree that going to the opposite extreme of SoDs was too drastic, but I think the better solution would be to simply disadvantage stacks whilst allowing for them to be in play.

4. The idea of having a hybrid of local and global happiness seems a good one to me.

1. I see what you're getting at, and I like the idea of combining the two to an extent. But I'm not sure how you'd go about doing this.

I've kinda been thinking independently about this (as well as gather inspiration here and there from the forums), and I think separating civics and "policies" is a really good idea. Civics should effect the rules of the game (and are unlocked by tech), where as policies represent cultural bonuses your civ gets (and are unlocked by spending culture points).

For example a feudalism civic could allow for local happiness (as it is a very decentralized system), or a "free trade" civic allows for civilization-wide food (because people are allowed to trade freely, or an autocracy civic prevents people from migration. (These are all examples from ideas floating around the forums which aren't implemented in vanilla CivV - it's hard to draw examples from the current game because it's so stripped down).

Policies would be branches that give bonuses, similar to now. However, some of these (like meritocracy) are just way too overpowered - especially combined with civics, so I would par those down. I'd also like to see national wonders moved over to the policy tree - adopting one unlocks building it (rather than completing all the relevant buildings in each of your cities). For example the military policy branch could include: a GG, the heroic epic, 15% bonus on defense, 15% bonus on offence, movement bonuses in home territory, reduced maintenance. None of these effect the rules, but give bonuses.

@CGG1066- that type of combination of the two concepts sounds quite an interesting way to go about it. My main concern would be that if different civics allowed for different mechanics in the game, then you'd be locking out mechanics each time you choose a new civic, and in a somewhat arbitrary manner.

Well, just like Civ IV, civics are something you could change and are more flexible than policies.

When I think about mechanics of the game - I'm mainly thinking of economic management/diplomatic abilities, etc. - things which are largely absent anyway.

We call stacks of doom, armies and there is a sound historic basis for them.

1UPT is pretty silly when the largest city in the world can hold more people than there are in the largest military in the world.

Well, just like Civ IV, civics are something you could change and are more flexible than policies.

When I think about mechanics of the game - I'm mainly thinking of economic management/diplomatic abilities, etc. - things which are largely absent anyway.

Well I guess if it's the only way to get some mechanics in the game, then that's good. :lol:

Again, I do like the idea of combining the two to allow for more control. It just depends whether or not this added flexibility is actually restrictive or not.

Bringing back civics is a great idea and should never have been taken out. All you'd have to do is modify them/civicswonders to make sure combos don't become overpowered like the designers did with cutlre and wonder combos.

For religion civic have it affect the whole empire just if you every city have your religion.

you can think of policy trees as civics and of particular policies as of civic upgrades. adoption should cost less culture and give bigger bonuses. more exclusive trees there should be:
e.g. liberty can not be run with order, autocracy,
order can not be run with commerce, freedom
etc.

I agree with the Civics thing.

After all SP (a good thing IMO) doesn't replace Civics, instead are like techs that give achievements.

Top Bottom