Ideas on How to add Religion to Civ 3

Nothing against Plot - his work is fantastic and always appreciated, but personally I actually liked the monks prior to the new attack. I'd always imagined religious units as converting other civs units to my side via indoctrination; ie, religion. Not shooting magical balls at the opponent (which has a very Tim feeling to it).

Will the final units have both flics available to use?
Well, the problem is I don't have a Jewish star, Islamic crescent, Hindu symbol, Shinto symbol etc prop.

Well, the problem is I don't have a Jewish star, Islamic crescent, or Shinto symbol prop.

Aaaaaaaahhh... well, I've been put in my place. :blush: (As seems to be happening a lot in this thread... :shifty:)
I know for sure your units will be used one way or another - you'd just gotten my hopes up with the spinning Dharmacakra attack :lol:

Shiro, I only just replied to your PM, but it looks like you've been doing fine anyway. These units look great. I especially like the pagan.

Nothing against Plot - his work is fantastic and always appreciated, but personally I actually liked the monks prior to the new attack. I'd always imagined religious units as converting other civs units to my side via indoctrination; ie, religion. Not shooting magical balls at the opponent (which has a very Tim feeling to it).

I originally made them for a never-completed medieval fantasy mod, hence the magical attacks - but I did include non-magical "preaching" attacks as well, so that they could be used more realistically as well. Hopefully Shiro can do the same with his. A preaching attack is very easy - you just have him wave his arms around! The hard part is finding a good sound effect.

I love the magical attacks, means they can be used in fantasy as well. Though I can see people's point that non-magical preaching type attack fits better in an Epic game. It wouldn't look that pretty but if you didn't want to use the magical attack you could change the INI file and just use a default or fidget flic for the attack.

Of course if Shiro has the time to make both kinds of attack that would be the best option as Plotinus said.

Whatever you decide Shiro I'll be using some or all of these units both in epic and fantasy mods I suspect.

Cheers

Nick

I love the magical attacks, means they can be used in fantasy as well. Though I can see people's point that non-magical preaching type attack fits better in an Epic game. It would look that pretty but if you didn't want to use the magical attack you could change the INI file and just use a default or fidget flic for the attack.

Of course if Shiro has the time to make both kinds of attack that would be the best option as Plotinus said.

Whatever you decide Shiro I'll be using some or all of these units both in epic and fantasy mods I suspect.

Cheers

Nick

I would go with an attack A and Attack B and let the modder adjust the ini file and select the attack he wants. That way you only have to make one unit and it can be used in both epic games and fantasy games. Attack A could be like the industrial leaders arm motion and B could be the magical attack.

It'd be nice to have both the magic attacks and the non-magic "conversion" attacks.

That makes them even more versatile.

I could use the Shinto Kannushi as an Onmyouji and the Zen Monk as the Xian for the long-on-hold "Annals of Seven Kingdoms" wuxia fantasy mod. :D

I wonder if you could be persuaded to have a Korean shaman too... :mischief:

Ogedei, that's funny because I actually made my Kannushi's attack more like a Onmyouji.

Well, no promiseses. But if the Shaman looks interesting enough, I might make it. Do you have a picture?

Right now I am planning on making a,
Jewish Rabi
Islamic Imam
Shinto Kannushi
Zen Monk
Buddhist Monk
Hindu Sadhu
Zoroastrian Athornan
North American Shaman
Meso American Shaman
African Shaman
Bishop/Pope

Other than that I don't know

That's a typical costume of Korean shamans and what most people would think if you say "mudang" in Korea. :) Most Korean shamans are female although there is a notable percentage of male shamans, particularly in Jeju Island. Korean shamans also typically carry divination knives and a trident; the trident becomes associated with the Korean shaman when his/her patron deity is militaristic.

They also appear like this:

Spoiler :

Note the Buddhist aspects in that image; Korean shamanism may also fuse with Buddhism with mansin (the proper term for Korean shaman since "mudang" is occasionally derrogatory) calling upon Buddhist deities or bodhisattvas. I saw one on Jeju Island and the fusion of religions is quite interesting. :)

...not to mention that we don't have a Bishop, Cardinal, Pope, or even modern parish priest.

The list of possible priest units is probably endless I guess. Have to draw the line somewhere but the more we get the better. And not to sound too greedy, thank you so much for the ones you are already making Shiro any further units will be a bonus.

Cheers

Nick

Ogedei, that's funny because I actually made my Kannushi's attack more like a Onmyouji.

Well, no promiseses. But if the Shaman looks interesting enough, I might make it. Do you have a picture?

Right now I am planning on making a,
Jewish Rabi
Islamic Imam
Shinto Kannushi
Zen Monk
Buddhist Monk
Hindu Sadhu
Zoroastrian Athornan
North American Shaman
Meso American Shaman
African Shaman
Bishop/Pope

Other than that I don't know

I would be ever so pleased if you made an Andean Shaman as well. :please:

I just went back & looked at the attacks in post #59. Another possibility for the saddhu would be like the buddhist monk, but with the energy emanating from the heart rather than the head. The arching back attack looks very awkward for a yoga master.

Top Bottom