Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

I like playing the agnostic so I don't have to pick any of the religion technology, due to how poor the AI is on advancement and also not starting wars or anything towards one other (even in some of my deity games, half of the civilizations have been DESTROYED by savages). I don't like adapting religions alot because I will end up getting all of the religion's into my civ, when I specifically want 1 civ.

So I like playing Agnostic so I won't be able to get any religion's, nor do I need one anyways.

Well... Seeing as Margalard and Gurid are both male....... :eek:

I had no idea. I never even knew that their gender was specified. I just think it would be fun to get some sort of bonus or effect when they are together. Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it one way or another.

Apologies if this has been done and I'm just slow, but can we give Mechanos a way to "downgrade" terrain?

Techpriests with Vitalize are nice, but there are times when Plains are a little better than Grassland. Plus it can make particularly nasty methods for fighting wars of attrition.

I'm thinking maybe give their flamethrower units Scorch?

I'm not really in favour of the mechanos being able to terraform - why should they be able to if they can't use magic? I think it's even a push to allow magic to do as much as it does, it takes uniqueness from the current terraformers if everyone can make the ideal city conditions by the second tier of magic techs.
I'd actually like to see the mechanos have an improvement type that comes mid-late game that can only be built on 'useless' tiles like tundra or desert. Again, more clutter but I personally think it's more appropriate that they create a way of adapting in certain environments than being able to change it.

I'm not really in favour of the mechanos being able to terraform - why should they be able to if they can't use magic? I think it's even a push to allow magic to do as much as it does, it takes uniqueness from the current terraformers if everyone can make the ideal city conditions by the second tier of magic techs.
I'd actually like to see the mechanos have an improvement type that comes mid-late game that can only be built on 'useless' tiles like tundra or desert. Again, more clutter but I personally think it's more appropriate that they create a way of adapting in certain environments than being able to change it.

It's steampunk terraforming. Spring involves water valves and excessive irrigation, for example. Sun might involve steaming the land, but using hydrogathering assemblies to steal away the moisture, leaving only the heat.

"Current terraformers" pretty much all use mechanics outside of the Spring/Scorch/Vitalize trio, usually with unique terrain types and things like Haunted Lands. Ordinary civs picking up those techs are pursuing a common economic strategy that doesn't really impinge on the uniqueness of the standouts.

Was it really necessary to have so many leaders/civs with the agnostic trait and so many civs that restrict the use of magic?

I can understand that there is a clear attempt to create specific strategies that go with specific civs but I really wish there was more freedom. I usually end up playing the Amurites because they don't have a lot of restrictions. I find myself looking through the Civilopedia for new civs to try, and when I find one I'm interested in "Oh...wait, they can't adopt any religion..." or "Oh, they can't use any advanced magic...."

I'm sure this is a common complaint.

There aren't too many agnostics who don't have a religion of some kind, and in any case, wait for a future feature.

As for magic.... That would be Khazad, and Mechanos. I believe that is it.

If a civ is lacking one mechanic, it generally makes up for it in other ways. The civilizations in RifE (and all FfH) are not carbon copies of each other... They are very different.

oups, my bad...
i didn't check and really count the religions before writting.. next time I will :D
While white hand is a religion in mechanism.. but is it really a religion interesting for anyone save the illians ? (sorry, never really played with it)

I thought the dural were agnostic.. I will check it.
Them having replacement for any temples (schools) and acolyte/thane sounds as agnostic...

EDIT: I checked. They are not agnostic per se :
-they can adopt a religion, use the hero, the religion's UU, civics ..Etc
-they can't build temples nor priests (thus no high priest) nor beast of agares, paramender, crusader nor the sacrificial altar
so all in all, maybe I should'nt really count them as agnostic, but they feel like it.

Well it looks like a "laïcité à la française"... meaning : religions do exist and are acknoledged by the governement.. but no priest will become invested in war / politics and all religions are worth the same.

White Hand is a very good religion... If you're being assaulted by hell/demons. Your terrain will convert to Glacial terrain, providing food and commerce, unlike Hell.

The Dural also have a College for each religion... They have very good reasons to follow them. They just treat them differently.

I don't think so. Just to see what happened I built the ritual that brings Drifta (I was playing the Amurites with ROK).

However, he came and left me the same turn. :cry:

Drifa requires the White Hand. Only buildable otherwise as the pyreq was messed up, it's been fixed.

Apologies if this has been done and I'm just slow, but can we give Mechanos a way to "downgrade" terrain?

Techpriests with Vitalize are nice, but there are times when Plains are a little better than Grassland. Plus it can make particularly nasty methods for fighting wars of attrition.

I'm thinking maybe give their flamethrower units Scorch?

Scorch is available on the Adeptus units after Elementalism has been researched.

They will likely lose it after 1.4 anyway.... I have some ideas, that in fact do involve improvements. And climate. And area effects. Will be nifty. :p

Could high Perception units be made to ignore first Hidden Nationality and then various categories of stealth?

Oh, and Gerk, try using scorch on grasslands. Adeptus get it at elementalism.
Scorch is available on the Adeptus units after Elementalism has been researched.
Really? I'm an idiot. ^^*
...I just sort of avoided the magic-school techs since it seemed their inclusion in the research tree was an oversight of sorts (just like how Mechanos can still build Mage Guilds, and probably the C.Librarius as well.)

A suggestion for events:
If there's only one available option, preselect it and allow [Enter] to accept it.
If it doesn't do anything, don't bother with a pop-up at all.

I want the launcher to be able to detect if there is a new patch or brand new version available if I am not to date. This will be very useful to those who don't stay attach to the forum's and go though most of them. It will also be useful too if the modules that I used are also checked to see if they too are out of date or merge.

Since you made a simple launcher, try to go all the way and add something similar to an online game launcher (minus DRM and CD-Check).

They will likely lose it after 1.4 anyway.... I have some ideas, that in fact do involve improvements. And climate. And area effects. Will be nifty. :p

Sweet, I'm expecting the mechano be able to terraform using not magic but with technology. They are anti-magic people, so why not add in anti-magic technology along with mechanical improvements and steampunk-ish elements.

Also I wish there was some relationship deteration on nature folks if I continue to "stealing the lifeforce of mana" by building too many refineries. magic people don't like anti-magic stuff, and nature don't like technology as they stick to there bows and trees as we harvest them.

actually, terraforming is really hard to do (save transforming a plain into a desert : pour salt on it and it becomes a desert).
I really think only magic could do it.
the mechanos don't use magic, ergo they should be able to terraform.
BUT : maybe they can build improvement in desert as they might find some steam-punk way the other civ don't know of..

How about drilling really deep and create a desert well//oasis? :p Besides there might be ways to do it with refined mana if nothing else anyways heh... As for agnostic civs(Or rather civs with their own religions) I like it, slightly less choice, but normally I only see a civ as having 1 or 2 choices that makes sense with their lore/what I want to achieve anyways. So having civs with other religions is great and creates a more diverse and flavourful game.

A suggestion for events:
If there's only one available option, preselect it and allow [Enter] to accept it.
If it doesn't do anything, don't bother with a pop-up at all.

No idea how to do that, or if it's even possible.

I want the launcher to be able to detect if there is a new patch or brand new version available if I am not to date. This will be very useful to those who don't stay attach to the forum's and go though most of them. It will also be useful too if the modules that I used are also checked to see if they too are out of date or merge.

Since you made a simple launcher, try to go all the way and add something similar to an online game launcher (minus DRM and CD-Check).

For the first: Check the blog posts on the side when you use the launcher. Any new patch or new version will have a blog post.

For the second, not sure what you mean.

actually, terraforming is really hard to do (save transforming a plain into a desert : pour salt on it and it becomes a desert).
I really think only magic could do it.
the mechanos don't use magic, ergo they should be able to terraform.
BUT : maybe they can build improvement in desert as they might find some steam-punk way the other civ don't know of..

Uh.... No, no it's not. :p

Humans have been terraforming for thousands of years. The sahara? Our herds have made it bigger. Washington DC? Built on a former swamp. The Great Plains? Large parts are only viable as farmland due to irrigation.

Uh.... No, no it's not. :p

Humans have been terraforming for thousands of years. The sahara? Our herds have made it bigger. Washington DC? Built on a former swamp. The Great Plains? Large parts are only viable as farmland due to irrigation.
actually I've said that creating desert is something we are able to do.
As fr the great plain, I only view it as farm improvement with many upgrade (as in vanilla civ : last farm improvement + +1:food: from "?? tech, same as sanitation."
but it is still not terraforming. If you stop the machinery, it reverts to desert.
same in israel : last level farm improvement.

by definition (for me), if you need machinery to maintain it, it is only equivalent to a civ improvement.

As for deserts (sahara), if you remove human life, it'll still be a desert. :D

(for swamps.... I'm not used to civ having swamps.)
But really, the only terraforming we (human) can do is :
-removing swamps
-gaining a bit of land (see Netherland)
-creating desert
-jungle deforestation creating tundra-like terrain...
all of that is making things "less wet". (making terrain wetter (or colder) seems to be out of our possibilities)
plus we also can create a barrage (artificial lake)

IMO, creating grassland and tundra and plain (out of desert or tundra) is a bit too difficult save for really High-tech civ or magic. a steam-punk shouldn't be able to do it.

But that's how I see the world :D

by definition (for me), if you need machinery to maintain it, it is only equivalent to a civ improvement.

By that definition you will have no problem in 1.4, since all terraforming will require upkeep.

By that definition you will have no problem in 1.4, since all terraforming will require upkeep.
BUt I have no problem with magic being able to do some terraforming.. magic is magic.
I can conceive that an archmage or druid with vitalize can recreate a stable ecosystem + not kill the former one, just adapting all the plants and anmals to fit the new ecosystem..

So I was thinking about the White Hand Religion today and I had an idea. What if, upon completing the draw, there was an x% chance for cities with the white hand to stage an Illians(or Frozen I suppose) rebellion. Thematically it makes sense, since these cities contain followers of Auric. They shouldn't have any problem with him ascending to Godhood.

Top Bottom