If only most games still needed these civilization specs to play

Zombie Horde

ZEDorDEAD
Was just browsing the site and checked in on Civ 2 for old times sake and noticed the min specs for playing it.

Minimum System Requirements:​

PC:​

• System: 486/33
  • RAM: 8 MB
  • CD-ROM speed: 2X
  • Video Mode: SVGA
  • Sound Board: Yes
  • Operating System: Windows 3.1, Windows 95
8mb of ram though ...happy days

Was just browsing the site and checked in on Civ 2 for old times sake and noticed the min specs for playing it.

Minimum System Requirements:​

PC:​

• System: 486/33
  • RAM: 8 MB
  • CD-ROM speed: 2X
  • Video Mode: SVGA
  • Sound Board: Yes
  • Operating System: Windows 3.1, Windows 95
8mb of ram though ...happy days
I'm a devout Civ2 player to this day, myself. The only big issue has been getting it to actually work on Windows 7 or later, but a few tech mods that came up fairly quickly has largely addressed that issue.

I'm a devout Civ2 player to this day, myself. The only big issue has been getting it to actually work on Windows 7 or later, but a few tech mods that came up fairly quickly has largely addressed that issue.
I loved the game back in the day but it has limitations for my busy mind these days, i'm guessing it's popular kinda due to it's chess like nature which will keep it going for years.

Can i ask why do you still play it today?

I played it mainly on a playstation and on a big TV so it aged badly viewing it on that.

Are there any good mods that make it look better?

I loved the game back in the day but it has limitations for my busy mind these days, i'm guessing it's popular kinda due to it's chess like nature which will keep it going for years.

Can i ask why do you still play it today?

I played it mainly on a playstation and on a big TV so it aged badly viewing it on that.

Are there any good mods that make it look better?
It's ridiculously easy to make mods and custom scenarios for. I mean, you're editing bitmaps and text files instead of needing to be a programmer and 3D graphics designer, or rely on the largess of one or more of such. Plus, the relatively recent Test of Time Patch Project has partially broken the code and allowed massive expansions to such editing capabilities.

It's ridiculously easy to make mods and custom scenarios for. I mean, you're editing bitmaps and text files instead of needing to be a programmer and 3D graphics designer, or rely on the largess of one or more of such. Plus, the relatively recent Test of Time Patch Project has partially broken the code and allowed massive expansions to such editing capabilities.
Hmmmm interesting, i am a novice coder so it sounds in my area doing text editing, i'm also a professional graphic artist and print/web designer so the bitmaps part i can do very easily so it could lead to some interesting game graphics (my forum name may give you a clue) so i may have to re visit civ2 soon then, i'll pop by the modding forum for it later.

Just trying to get civ4 CD version working and it's a real *****, tried everything and still keep getting the "need admin permissions" error, compatibility modes been done etc etc no joy.
I have civ4 installed on steam already but im having issues with real invictus working correctly so dusted off my old civ4 cd (for background info)

Hmmmm interesting, i am a novice coder so it sounds in my area doing text editing, i'm also a professional graphic artist and print/web designer so the bitmaps part i can do very easily so it could lead to some interesting game graphics (my forum name may give you a clue) so i may have to re visit civ2 soon then, i'll pop by the modding forum for it later.

Just trying to get civ4 CD version working and it's a real *****, tried everything and still keep getting the "need admin permissions" error, compatibility modes been done etc etc no joy.
I have civ4 installed on steam already but im having issues with real invictus working correctly so dusted off my old civ4 cd (for background info)

Are you having issues with "black tiles" or is it simply not loading at all?

Are you having issues with "black tiles" or is it simply not loading at all?
On the steam version i have it loads up nearly all mods perfectly bar a couple of low interest to me so i can live with that, real invictus loads up correctly and lets me start a map but the map is all black apart from the troops etc, i can see water on the coast too but total blackness otherwise and i can open menus etc still, i then decided to get the old civ 4 cd out from 2007 era and it installed as it should and i get to the play now screen but then the admin error appears, not sure if it's a windows 10 issue because this laptop is old enough to still be friendly with old cd games and i have the disc drive built in still so ...

On the steam version i have it loads up nearly all mods perfectly bar a couple of low interest to me so i can live with that, real invictus loads up correctly and lets me start a map but the map is all black apart from the troops etc, i can see water on the coast too but total blackness otherwise and i can open menus etc still, i then decided to get the old civ 4 cd out from 2007 era and it installed as it should and i get to the play now screen but then the admin error appears, not sure if it's a windows 10 issue because this laptop is old enough to still be friendly with old cd games and i have the disc drive built in still so ...

That's a longstanding issue. I don't play the base game from Steam, and I think that has been an issue for some. I had that problem for a long time but since maybe 3 months ago, not a once. Did you say you were playing on the current SVN? I think it's been "fixed," but if not in spite of that, check out this thread.

Top Bottom