I'm done with BNW, I'm going to Vanilla. World Congress ruins the game for me.

CivAddict2013

Warlord
I'm done with Brave New World. Seriously, the world congress ruins the game for me. If you don't control the world congress, you are screwed. You can't win a Science Victory, a Cultural victory or anything if you don't have the World Congress.

Seriously, I'm tired of having to fight over city states in this game. And if you get spawned next to Alexander? Rage quit. You will NOT be able to control the world congress. And if you try to eliminate him? Get ready to be stampeded by a HUNDRED units.

How does the AI get SO much money for units? I have stock exchanges, banks and markets in ALL my city's but I'm only making 30 gold per turn? BS.

But yeah, I'm done with BNW. The game is ALL about controlling City states and it makes it IMPOSSIBLE for you to control world congress.

Honestly, I'm going for a science victory and I'm WAY ahead of everybody else in tech. But I'm trying to buy out some city states to make sure nobody gets the Diplomatic Victory.

It's like EVERY TURN the AI pulls money out their ass to buy out your city states. Meanwhile, they can have hundreds of units too. It's BS man.

As for as Science goes, I'm going back to Vanilla.

If I want a Diplomatic Victory, I'll play BNW, but man, I'm just tired of trying to compete with the AI with all these city states. I swear if I ever play BNW again, I'm just capturing the city states. I'm tired of dealing with them.

I'm done with Brave New World. Seriously, the world congress ruins the game for me. If you don't control the world congress, you are screwed. You can't win a Science Victory, a Cultural victory or anything if you don't have the World Congress.

Seriously, I'm tired of having to fight over city states in this game. And if you get spawned next to Alexander? Rage quit. You will NOT be able to control the world congress. And if you try to eliminate him? Get ready to be stampeded by a HUNDRED units.

How does the AI get SO much money for units? I have stock exchanges, banks and markets in ALL my city's but I'm only making 30 gold per turn? BS.

But yeah, I'm done with BNW. The game is ALL about controlling City states and it makes it IMPOSSIBLE for you to control world congress.

Honestly, I'm going for a science victory and I'm WAY ahead of everybody else in tech. But I'm trying to buy out some city states to make sure nobody gets the Diplomatic Victory.

It's like EVERY TURN the AI pulls money out their ass to buy out your city states. Meanwhile, they can have hundreds of units too. It's BS man.

As for as Science goes, I'm going back to Vanilla.

If I want a Diplomatic Victory, I'll play BNW, but man, I'm just tired of trying to compete with the AI with all these city states. I swear if I ever play BNW again, I'm just capturing the city states. I'm tired of dealing with them.

Erm....what difficulty are you playing on? Anyway, in all honesty man, from what you're describing, especially with the hyperbole, the entire situation your discussing is rather easy to fix.

Do post a save.

I was in middle of nowhere as a dictator of backward nation but when I took autocracy, I caught up in a heartbeat and is now a leader of world congress. And is rolling over several nations atm.

I find it rather easy to pry control of city states but again I like to go Autocracy..

Erm....what difficulty are you playing on? Anyway, in all honesty man, from what you're describing, especially with the hyperbole, the entire situation your discussing is rather easy to fix.

Do post a save.
I was playing on King and trying to go for a Science Victory. As far as the Science Victory goes I was doing well WAY ahead of every else in tech. So to make sure Alexander and Germany don't beat me to a diplomatic victory, I started buying out city states.

Bad idea. It seems like the AI just pulls out money out of NOWHERE to buy your allies out.

So I get tired of it, so I attack Alexander. Bad idea, I get bombarded by what seems like infinite units. At this point I just rage quit.

I really think it's just Alexander. I swear if I get spawned by him, which seems to be EVERY GAME, I'm just quitting.

Seriously, how does the AI have so much money to have thousands of units and STILL buy out your city states? Cheating, that's how.

Maybe I should just disable diplomatic victory all together?

30 gold per turn late game? There's something wrong with what you're doing if you only have that. Late game I usually have at least 100-200 gold per turn, unless I'm playing an economic civ, in which case I'll have more.

As for controlling the world congress, I sometimes feel helpless without it, but there are ways around not having it.

For starters, you can use diplomats to get people to vote for or against proposals that you like, without spending the time to ally city states. You can also sell influential civs your luxury resources to prevent it from being banned when that is proposed. You can use your votes to get an ally to host the world congress if your ally is only a few votes down. You get a diplomatic boost for doing this too, so usually try to make sure to allocate one vote for AI proposals or world congress hosting when they don't negatively effect you.

Embargoes, world ideologies, and world religions probably potentially hurt the most, but these can be mitigated. Internal trade routes and city state trade routes are not bad, so you can survive embargoes. The world ideology can be annoying to be on the defensive on, but if you have a high amount of tourism, it doesn't effect you too much. I generally don't get a religion, but world religions are generally voted down by most civs anyway unless one civ has complete dominance of the congress.

Still, I rarely play a game where I don't get control of the world congress, regardless of difficulty level, even if I'm on deity. Now, I haven't had to fight Alex over it for a while now, but it is certainly possible to get more gold income than what you got. I have no idea what you're doing to get it that low, unless you have a million units and very little growth.

I am biased though, because the world congress is my favorite part of BNW. I just love it, and I find it so useful!

I was playing on King and trying to go for a Science Victory. As far as the Science Victory goes I was doing well WAY ahead of every else in tech. So to make sure Alexander and Germany don't beat me to a diplomatic victory, I started buying out city states.

Bad idea. It seems like the AI just pulls out money out of NOWHERE to buy your allies out.

So I get tired of it, so I attack Alexander. Bad idea, I get bombarded by what seems like infinite units. At this point I just rage quit.

Seriously, how does the AI have so much money to have thousands of units and STILL buy out your city states? Cheating, that's how.

With all due respect, 'thousands' of units would crash your machine....and King is a very low level. I'm currently playing an Emperor game, usually play Deity and Immortal, and I've no problem controlling the states and the World Congress. The problem you have here is 100% related to your own playing mistakes, and will also be very easy to fix.

Post a save, and we'll be happy to tell you what.

Yes, but, if you're going to rage, at least don't blame it on an overgrown calculator making a conscious, situational decision to screw you.

Nothing in the code says "award AI opponent 2000 gold if human is about to win".

Yes, yes you can. They can pass Scholars in Residence to Catch up, and Arts funding to slow your scientists, embargo you if you've been a dick, ban your luxuries, but ultimately you can still pull it through.

Breathe, go find something else to do for a while, and then come back and win it, man. Alexander is a nuisance who's often propped up by a lot of city-states, but you can absolutely beat him. That wave of units is him exhausting his cash reserves. Then you kill the reinforcements he built while you dealt with that. THEN you can start gutting him.

Yes, yes you can. They can pass Scholars in Residence to Catch up, and Arts funding to slow your scientists, embargo you if you've been a dick, ban your luxuries, but ultimately you can still pull it through.

Breathe, go find something else to do for a while, and then come back and win it, man. Alexander is a nuisance who's often propped up by a lot of city-states, but you can absolutely beat him. That wave of units is him exhausting his cash reserves. Then you kill the reinforcements he built while you dealt with that. THEN you can start gutting him.

I don't follow all of the above because I play G&K, but I've fought Alex on countless occasions and the description is spot on. He always seems to have an endless supply of units but he hasn't and you can get him after a while.

NEVER go back to Vanilla! :)

A lesson to be learned here. Although it's possible to wrest control of the WC late game you need to be the first host and keep being the host. That means exploring the whole world before anyone else and building the FP. Do this and the world will be shaped in your image, and not the AI's ban every lux image.

A note on unit maintenance, if you keep units then the maintenance cost decreases. There's a thread that explains the formula used somewhere on civfanatics. The AI also has (sometimes vastly)reduced unit maintained costs so usually focuses on building more units than it actually needs. Use that your advantage......

Diplomatic
You can just get ur economy to no. 1, get loads of gold, and i mean insane insane. Eg gold per turn = 300-500+, then buy all the city states, trade everything for world leader vote, get the forbidden palace etc

I always win the diplomatic victory on king/emperor this way. I didnt found the WC, i just focus on my economy. The only thing i need is to prevent any other players from winning, so i take in control of 25% of the city states. In the information era my GPT is 300(non golden era), and with the chichen Itza i get 50% more golden era time, and my GPT hits 400+.

I just buy out all the city states to win.

Science

science is the next easiest for me. I focus on economy, military and science duh. I aim for maximum science stuff. You dont need the WC to win a science victory because all you need to do is to get ur science to no. 1, get as many tech as possible(i use a mod that enable you to sell/buy tech, so get that), then build build build. I often win this easily on king

Havent tried domination or cultural. Time is hardest for me, always managed to win before time is up

I have stock exchanges, banks and markets in ALL my city's but I'm only making 30 gold per turn? BS.

Did you use your trade routes? A single late game caravan is about 10-12 gpt, maybe more. Cargo ship worth double than land trade routes. Seems like either you didn't build any, or you use all of them for internal food/hammers. Spare some for money.

Also don't forget to connect cities with roads/harbors.

Use your trade routes. They usually can provide you with at least 20 gpt each. With this much gold, you can easily bribe the City- States to make them allies. Alexander isnt that big of a threat, you just have to be making double the cash he has.

You can definitely win SV without the world congress.

Edit: And IIRC, there's a "No World Congress" option under advanced settings. Is this right?

There is something wrong with your playstyle probably. Many times people fix their strategies for a vanilla game & don't make adjustments to them when expansion packs & patches get released.

From the sound of it I think you aren't using trade routes properly. Reminds me of a post on this forums few months back by a person who spammed so many roads that his economy collapsed & then he started complaining about the design of ciV.

You already said that you have a huge tech lead, then why not destroy Alexander's Carpet of Doom with your superior intellect & technology??

Also you don't need to conquer his lands. Just destroy his army, raid his cities, pillage tiles, attack his trade routes etc & that would be enough to bring him into submission.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

You can, of course, win Science without the World Congress. You might just have to work extra hard to stop the AI Congress host from winning Diplomatic *cough* Alexander *cough* And if you're playing on King at least you can win the International Games, Space Station and World's Fair if they get proposed as long as your production is decent.

I think it sounds like the OP's biggest problem is the lack of money, which in turn sounds like it might come from insufficient/inadequate trade routes. Use all of your trade slots, making sure to pick the routes that give you the best return, and you should easily have GPT in the hundreds by the mid-late game.

Edit: And IIRC, there's a "No World Congress" option under advanced settings. Is this right?

You know, I don't think there is...

Probably should be, though.

There's a mod called Really Advanced Setup that lets you ban civs. You could toss Alexander from your games.

I frequently turn Diplomatic Victory off, because I find it kinda dull. I still like the World Congress, just not the Diplo victory. If you do that, it doesn't matter how many city states someone has.

Tho I find science victories kind of tedious. I often get bored and just go domination. I wish the late game science wasn't so slow.

PS

Yes, the OP is probably mishandling TR. But to look at this from a different perspective: there is no reason why the AI should beat him with a DV on King, if you're shooting for a SV. Forget all about stopping Alex, and focus on the basics of etching: build your pop and beeline for the science buildings, while maintaining a decent defensive military. There are countless threads that show you how to do this. Get the basics down, and you should almost never lose a SV on King, even playing as a hermit. (Just don't neglect TR's!)

Top Bottom