Images of all the Earth Maps

Am I the only one who thinks that despite those awesome hexes, Earth map looked much much better in civ4?

Either that or the maps are badly done. With larger map sizes though, things could look a lot better.

Looking at it, it feels as if the creator didnt pay enough attention to Europe etc, America looks pretty spot-on.

Europe looks like a disaster, i mean look at italy and spain on the map.

Australia looks squashed too, and Sweden looks cut-off at the bottom, idk why they just didnt move scandinavia 1-2 hexes further north (plenty of space up there) and properly taper it off down south.

why on the large map is england connected to europe? even on the smaller maps it isnt

The smaller maps looks like mechanically resized version of the Huge one, that's why things like connections between islands and continents vary from map to map. I hope the community will create better ones.

As a serious map developer on a variety of projects I can tell you that making such maps is not easy. Especially if like these you try to represent everything. Europe looks really screwed up because Europe is very small. It just doesn't deserve many tiles. You need to decide between preserving shape, area, gameplay, relational positioning etc.

Personally I feel you are way better off just cutting out the arctic areas (like they did in the south but not the north).

Yeah, I made some real world maps for Civ III and they were incredibly time consuming. I did a huge map of Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia and the south Pacific that took about 300 hours.

Why is Great Britain not an island in the large version?

Why does Canada always consist of 98% tundra?

And yes I agree, these maps look worse then the Civ4 maps. I think its cause they wanted to include as much as possible(IE every single little island chain)

Top Bottom