• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Immortal University 76 - Montezuma

Ric

Chieftain
Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

The following settings were used to create this map

Before we start, here's the copy paste from the previous immortal universities:

To play, just extract the WB save file into your worldbuilder saves directory, then play it. Use custom scenario if you want some extra settings to tickle your fancy. This series was designed for people learning immortal, so most people here will be at that level or trying to attain it, although deity players are welcome also. Hell, if you want to play this on NOBLE. The intention of this and any other game thread I post is to get better. Play whatever level you need in order to improve.

If you are aspiring IMM+, try to remember to add archery back to the barbs in WB. Every time you don't, a deity AI will kill a kitten, although there are a lot of kittens so it's not the end of the world if you prefer easymode barbs .

I do request people to list their difficulty and speed. In terms of updates, well nobody follows that anyway. Post in the manner you feel comfortable. Typical comparison dates are 1 AD, liberalism, and victory/defeat, as well as any major events. If in doubt, go with that.

We also have an initial Immortal/Normal autosave which is much more convenient since you can avoid all the worldbuilder shenanigans. It comes with my personal seal of approval (not least as my worldbuilder edits may contain hideous game-destroying errors that could cause your computer to explode ).

Attachments

• IU-76 Monty BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    46.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Immortal University 76 - Montezuma.zip
    63.1 KB · Views: 109
Yeah, I'd say 1 NW... First time playing in an IU but map looks mighty tasty... Will give it a go on Emperor and Epic for the 'war' pace :D

EDIT: eh, after playing on normal speed for some time, I find epic too slow... Will try again on normal, although map information ruins it :/

AGG -> BW -> IW -> Jaguar rush? :D

Another argument for 1NW is the all time topic of pangea: better secure more inland territory asap. Seafood is easy to secure later on, land isn't. On top: more river, second gold, no hidden resource out of BFC.

This is a very nice map with a very mean neighbor. :( He always wants to bully me, why should I have to give him CoL when I'm the only one with it?#@!?

@Ric: Thanks for hosting. :) If I can find some time, I might get around to trying this one. Moving NW almost looks too good to be true. :lol:

One small tip if I may. If you take a look at the (spoilered) table in post 13 of the attached thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=158130

you'll see that the bottom fve rows set out the bonuses that the AI and barbs are supposed to get on higher levels (indicated by the number 1). At immortal, it means that barbs are actually supposed to get added to them: archery, hunting and agriculture. Just wondered if perhaps it might be worthwhile amending the OP?

EDIT: Just opened the 4000 BC save and noticed barbs already have everything they need. :goodjob:

The 4000BC save itself has everything in order. For the world builder saves the AI have for every difficulty the right techs. With barbarians it's as far as I know impossible to give them the techs they should have through a world builder save.

@Ric: Spoilering to avoid de-railing thread.

Spoiler :
The 4000BC save itself has everything in order. For the world builder saves the AI have for every difficulty the right techs. With barbarians it's as far as I know impossible to give them the techs they should have through a world builder save.

You’re absolutely spot on. :)

The point I’m trying to make – apologies if I’ve not made this clear and / or gotten something wrong – is that gamers looking to add techs to barbs in the emperor or higher WORLDBUILDER saves (which they can unzip to access in your OP) actually need to add more than just archery to the barbs. To be precise, gamers need to add the following techs to barbs if accessing the WORLDBUILDER save files:

monarch: archery
emperor: archery and hunting
immortal: archery, hunting and agriculture
deity: archery, hunting, agriculture and the wheel.

and my point is that perhaps this could be added to the OP, instead of just asking them to (wrongly) add just archery if using the WORLDBUILDER saves.

The table I referred to earlier BTW provides the support (from the game’s code) for doing this. :)

As you rightly mentioned – and as I discovered when I opened the CIVBEYONDSWORD 4000 BC save – everything is already set perfectly in the separate 4000 BC save file.

Hope this is clear. :)

FWIW, it's likely no biggie....a fair few of the earlier cookbook, club and university series have gotten it wrong too. :)

^

Spoiler :
That's because in practice, it doesn't matter other than archery. Barbs get tech based on what other civs know. Barb cities don't even start showing up until quite a few turns in on immortal. The AI starts with hunting and the wheel etc so the barbs will get it very soon also. The barbs will have agriculture from AI knowledge of it long before they can possibly field a worker.

That means that in practice, the only tech that matters is archery, because it allows the barbs to spawn the more-challenging-to-defend-against archers even before their cities appear, and to have archers spawn into their cities. If you give them only archery vs archery + other techs, I bet you notice little-to-no difference across the vast majority of games, making giving them exact techs not worth the effort.

This is also the same reason I was always "lazy" with things like pick your leader. Even with AI the difference between giving them the extra techs vs just archery is nothing compared to their bonuses etc and it allowed for fewer saves posted. The actual difficulty variance is negligible...small enough that RNG outcomes will completely overshadow it. Considering I've had to clear space on the forum for uploading save files already, that was important.

4 of the top 5 AIs on my hitlist, all on one map.
Spoiler :
Shaka the Vile, Just the Betrayer, Sury the Great Betrayer and Zara the Expanding Scum.

Wanted to troll Shaka with Jags. Shaka had axes. Didn't go well. :crazyeye:

@TMIT:
Spoiler :
I was already aware that archery was actually the tech that mattered most. :) It’s why I never accused you or anyone else of being “lazy" as you put it. Indeed, the time you guys all put in to hosting your various series is the best defence against any accusation of laziness that anyone could have.

The reasons I made the post are because (i) I’m not sure that everyone playing these games - especially those new to emperor or immortal - actually realises that non WB saves add techs other than archery to barbs and (ii) correcting it requires little more than copy – pasting something like my text into the OP. Any subsequent action is then required by the player, and not the host, to add the requisite techs to barbs. Apologies if I’ve offended anyone. :blush:

Hmmm. What to do with this one? I'm giving it a try on Emperor. Played a few rounds and sort of at a crossroads.

Spoiler :
Nearby horses and close neighbors seem to suggest an early rush. I grabbed the Oracle pretty quickly for CoL (which teching to HBR) and settled a horse/pig city. On one hand, Shaka is a little closer, has gems, and is clearly the more dangerous neighbor, but he's got easy metals for his super-spears. Settling 3-4 cities and then rushing a neighbor seems the best strategy without expanding into the jungle, but which way have you guys gone with it?

Also, Shaka founded a religion, which I've never seen him do. Crazy.

@ Oz-Man

Spoiler :
Hm, I think Oracling CoL then going for Shaka with HA + Cats is best, would take longer but I would assume is much safer. Not much forest to chop though :/

Top Bottom