IMPORTANT: Support page & New Fix for Radeon Cards

Card: Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis
Problem: Failed to initiaze Cd (or something like that).

As soon as i saw the error, i knew civ4 wasn<t gonna work, so i tried what the first page told...and it works!!! Problem solved for me!

lightnng said:
I try to run the tool and get the error in picture
Do you have Win2K? Currently that unpak program only works under XP. They said they will release a Win2K version soon.

Nothing is working for me folks. At least some of you are getting a crash to desktop. My situation is a complete driver failure that results in no video and the monitor going into standby. I have to reboot.
Here's the stats:
1. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb....no hardware issues.
2. Noticed video corruption playing with the 6.x drivers. This eventually crashed out a game. (later I will find that the 6.x driver was more stable)
3. Update to the 8.14 driver (which is the catalyst 5.10 package)
4. Now games crash as soon as i get cinematics.
5. I reinstall the game to a different directory after completely uninstalling it.
6. This didn't help so I did the unPak trick. Crashes still continue.

I now own a game that I can't play and I can't return because of store piracy rules. Awesome.

When using the 6.x drivers it was crashing with a debug/crash dump file. I emailed this to ATI so hopefully they can tag team this one. I'm dead in the water.......

-bri

Got rid of my crappy Chaintech Nvidia 5200, and bought a new Sapphire 9600XT for $90. Thanks for the support info, now CIV IV is so much faster and more enjoyable (it used to lag like crazy)

Now, time to destroy the Aztecs.....with no lag...

:thanx:

hello to all of you,

i WAS one of the many users with ATi cards and the game not working.
i tried everything posted on this site, apolyton and civ4 - nothing worked.
please try one of the following (it works for me, i mean the game started ! did not played yet !) :

in your civilization4.ini (My Documents/My Games/Civilization 4) you have "NoMovies = 0" for "in-game movies". set it to "1". like this "NoMovies = 1". at this point the game started !!!

i tried with "Art0.FPK" and without it (unpacked).

hoping this will help at least some of you.

OJi.

PS: i will start now my first civilization4 game... :)

Post edited:

hi, I have radeon 7500 (built by ati, 64mb, desktop version rv200 - no mobility, yes it does support T&L), with Catalyst 5.10 drivers, running windows 2000 sp4. Is there any solution to problems with black terrain:

http://img438.imageshack.us/my.php?image=civ4screenshot00028co.jpg

when i reveal some map it is looking like this:

http://img438.imageshack.us/my.php?image=civ4screenshot00014dp.jpg

Another problem with ocean: black

http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=civ4screenshot00037pz.jpg

or when I move the screen

http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=civ4screenshot00044ba.jpg

and finaly leader faces are invisible (i can see only eyes, mouth), i can't take screenshots, don't know why

plz HELP ME!

I have found a good deal on a Powercolor Radeon 9200 SE 128MB DDR Video Card, does anyone know if this card will work with the game? My current card meets all of the requirements except the T&L, the rest of my computer seems to be well in excess of the recommended specs. TIA

was getting renderer error, followed civ4.com support:
driver and directx fixes didnt correct rendering problem
unpacking art0.fpk worked!
then suffered with crashes to desktops during game
but fixed that by playing in windowed mode!

p4 2.66 ghz
512 ddr ram 266 mhz
radeon 9600 256mb, catalyst 5.10
winxp no service packs (omg)

sorry for spamming - just trying to make my solutions available to others!

guys, is it *official* that integrated graphics cards without T&L will NOT run the game at all?
i know raedon guys are having problem but pls pls pls is there anyone with 82852/82855 graphics card??:confused:
there is no way for me to buy a laptop for my dear civ iv...but its so disappointing....civ iv enters into flashy games realm which could be cautiously avoided with similar solutions :rolleyes:

EDIT:
yes...its OFFICIAL ...:( its ironic with 1 gig ram and 1.8 gig processor, i cant play the greatest turn based strategy game...i feel ashamed for falling in love of such a game now :(

Intel&#174; graphics products do not have hardware support for T&L. In most games, transform and lighting calculations can be performed on the processor with acceptable performance. A small number of games that specifically check for hardware T&L support may fail to run.

Ashmantious said:
I have found a good deal on a Powercolor Radeon 9200 SE 128MB DDR Video Card, does anyone know if this card will work with the game? My current card meets all of the requirements except the T&L, the rest of my computer seems to be well in excess of the recommended specs. TIA

I am using a PowerColor Radeon 9250 256MB card. It should be similar since I believe the 9250 is just a refurbished 9200. The opening videos are pixelated (even the opening 2K logo). Leaderheads will have black spots.You will experience lag (well, depending on other specs you have though). I have specs almost the recommended and this is what I experienced. You should have gotten a better card imo.

So anyone know why the Pakbuild program instantly stops responding when I try to unpak the art file?

G'day,

I have an ATI x800xl with the latest driver and have decided to reinstall it following the instructions from the unpack url, the error message doesn't appear anymore but when I double click on the civ icon to launch the game it appears that the game doesn't want to launch:confused:

Is there going to be a solution or a patch because I have been working on this fix since this morning with no success:(

Any help would be appreciated coz I need to play it badly:suicide:

Thanks

don't know if this would help, but another thing you can try is turn off the movies in the .ini file.

The ini file is in this folder: \My Documents\My Games\Civilization IV
Then change it to

; Set to 1 for no in-game movies
NoMovies = 1

This is my setup:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512MB PC133 RAM
ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB graphics card
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 installed

Steps I followed:

(1) Shut down ALL system tray running programs.
(2) Clicked on Install from autorun and loaded Direct X from the CD.
(3) Quit Civ IV setup.
(4) Restarted computer.
(5) Shut down ALL system tray running programs.
(6) Installed Civ IV.
(7) Restarted Computer.

Everything works good so far. I have not done any diplomacy yet.

NOTE: I did NOT install the Catalyst drivers from my ATI card!

Current Driver version: 6.14.10.6517 2/22/05 by ATI.

It won't work but I went into the civ4 main folder and a new text file was added showing the following error:
[Oct 29, 2005 - 16:49:21] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4910, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4918, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4926, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4983, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4991, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'

Please help :(

Top Bottom