Impressions so far from new gameplay videos

I thought I would start a thread where we can discuss our general impressions of civ6 based on all the new gameplay that we've seen today.

For me, I am quite impressed. Civ6 looks like it will definitely steal a lot of my time. The game looks seriously addictive. I also feel like it is "civ5 done right". It seems to have the core of civ5 but with enough changes to game mechanics to make the game seriously fun and deep.

Please be specific for those of us traveling the northern Canadian wilderness -like Wolverine, who have no ability to watch said videos, but can check forums from time to time.

Pretty much every mechanic and feature looks good to me, wouldn't change any of them for the Civ 5 versions. Love the uniqueness of City-states and Great People, love the animation on the buildings and tile improvements on map.

After Civ 6 goverment and civics the Civ 5 social policies look dull.

Also LOVE to see more deeper mechanics (some back from Civ 4):

Better warmonger penalty system, like will you return or keep conquered cities when in peace table.

War weariness!

I think in October Civ 5 is obsolete for me, actually already it's harder to play it as I keep wanting to have the Civ 6 mechanics..

Personally, I am really happy with how the game is turning out! :D

The tech tree's eurekas and civics tree's inpiration system seems to be really interesting, and the way your government is shaped thanks to the civics you unlock and the policies you use will make for very interesting decisions!
Also dead-end techs are back, which means the tech tree is far more flexible for modders than Civ V's

Movement seems confusing, I still haven't quite understood how it works. I've seen that you need to have 2 movement points in order to enter a tile that costs 2 points, but there's still stuff that I haven't understood how it works - rivers and the such.
I hope I can get the hang of it quickly enough once I get to play it.

Barbarians seem to be a MASSIVE pain in the neck this time around. They're a ton of them, and they're strong. I think I'll have to use my initial warrior for defense instead of exploration because of them - otherwise they're scouts will be able to report my city's position willy-nilly.

I'm... a bit disappointed at how the diplomacy screen works - or, more precisely, how leaders' animations are not continuous. You meet the leader, they have their introductory animation, screen fades to black and then they return in a completely different pose. They come to tell you they don't like you, they have their pissed off animation, the screen fades to black and then they return in a completely different pose.
It's weird, it's a bit jarring, and it's something that none of the previous games ever did... :(

A lot of good things, too much to mention. :p

One thing i fear is the lack of Iron or Strategic Resources in general which I heard several times... In theory it can stimulate diplomacy, but I fear it will horrible unbalance the game.

Everything is fine except im truly worried about army movements with the new movement system and ai ability to handle it in order to properly set up an attack.

Feels to me the grinding machine that were civ5 ranged units is likely to come back in force

a lot of good too much to list

thing I am worried about is expanding and turn wait time
specifically i am worried that turn wait time increasing too much may have caused devs to balance the game around limited number of towns?
seeing only 3-4 towns per civ by year 1400 feels unnatural and I expect to have more things to manage and make choices for, big and small.. but I think it may just be because they are playing on a small map in this demonstration?
also hope for range not to dominate though I'm not yet worried about that

let's see how this unfolds there is a ton of good things in this game I'm hopeful that it will be the best it can be. If nothing breaks, it should definitely be the best civ, possibly by far o_o

I must say so fare I'm rather impressed after finishing Marbozir 2 videos. Give the game a decent AI and challenge or the ability to mod it in at least and I'm sold.

The maps seems to have taken some lessons from NQMapmod considering I didn't see a lot of choke points, room and plenty of bonus tiles. Will have to compare with other uploaders.

The 3 aztecs units doing nothing next to Marbozir capital though... :/

a lot of good too much to list

thing I am worried about is expanding and turn wait time
specifically i am worried that turn wait time increasing too much may have caused devs to balance the game around limited number of towns?
seeing only 3-4 towns per civ by year 1400 feels unnatural and I expect to have more things to manage and make choices for, big and small.. but I think it may just be because they are playing on a small map in this demonstration?
also hope for range not to dominate though I'm not yet worried about that

let's see how this unfolds there is a ton of good things in this game I'm hopeful that it will be the best it can be. If nothing breaks, it should definitely be the best civ, possibly by far o_o

:lol:

No. Because most of those things are set-up, de-bug scenarios to show something off/test something quickly (why else would you have full visibility in the entire world?)

Don't make those assumptions based off Firaxis' videos that isn't an official gameplay lifestream.

Pretty amazing so far. Need more dlcs and expansions to this game.

Of course, balance and patches will be needed, but that is just normal.

However, did you notice that leaders do not speak too much? They have a greeting, war type of voiceovers only? Too bad, I must say.

I mean, subititles do appear, but they are NOT spoken at all? Bad thing.

For the most part, I am really happy. I like the art style and the music, but more importantly the gameplay seems very strong. The game is really looking to have its own identity. I am really looking forward to playing with the district system, and the new government system are really intriguing. I'm also very happy to hear that pantheons don't increase in cost anymore, letting you actually play religion on higher difficulties now. It seems to improve on Civ V in pretty much every way, except the removal of the World Congress (and probably the removal of other things we're not aware of yet). I'm cautiously optimistic about expansion mechanics; housing and amenities seems like they'll do a decent job. Also, the game 'yields' seem to be far more balanced, now, so that science isn't so much more important than everything else. Really my biggest concern is with the turn timer, which looks to be extremely slow from what we've seen. Also, I'm a little disappointed with what we've seen from religion so far, because it feels like it's lifted almost straight out of Civ V, and more generally, I worry bonuses from religion, civics, etc, might be a little underwhelming. These worries aside I'm really impressed.

Mixed thoughts. On the one hand, it looks fun to play. On the other, I suspect many of the same Civ 5 gripes will return. A new, shiny polish over the same mechanics for better or worse.

I will probably still get the game, because at the very least it will be a new shiny polish over a game I enjoyed playing. If it exceeds expectations and actually improves some of those flaws, then all the better.

The new UI is a God-send to older people with not so good vision.

Love the bigger font and icons. More strategy games should do this.

The new UI is a God-send to older people with not so good vision.

Love the bigger font and icons. More strategy games should do this.

Yeah, but leaders should be fully voiced, which seems not to be the case. Eh... there is always something that...

Top Bottom