Improve performance with Limit Worker mod

How are you guys even getting the mod to work? I place it in the mods folder and enable it in the game but whenever I run a quick game, it lets me build as many workers as I want... Nor do they have the movement bonus, etc.

Nvm, got it :D

Is there any way to get this working for multiplayer?

Could you be limited to one worker per x number of cities or somesuch?

Another thought, if the number of workers is a problem for game performance, why not find a way to limit the graphics for workers? Would that help?

Would there be a way to impelment the public works system re Call To Power? That would bypass the problem alltogether.

@The Rusty Gamer:
1) I'm using the MaxPlayerInstances unit property to enforce the limit. It was only designed for restricting the building of spaceship components. To the best of my modding knowledge, you can't change this limit on the fly. It can only be set when mods are first loaded. And it's a simple maximum per civ, there's no way to make it vary with number of cities. We'd need full C++ code access.

2 )I don't think worker graphics contribute to the problem, I think it's the inefficient AI algorithms.

3) I'm not familiar with Call to Power, sorry.

Ok, well, if you can only have one worker then perhaps you need to be able to upgrade it to a more efficient worker as time goes on. New techs would create more advanced worker units which you could upgrade your worker to. Eventually, it may just take 1 turn to complete a task and the unit may be able to move just about any number of spaces per turn.

Call To Power has a public works system whereby you generate public work points and then spend them on improvements. No worker unit needed. This has been quite a debate among the civ community, which system is better. Public works certainly requires a lot less micro management and thereby less processing.

Are you aware that I already massively reduced the time required to make improvements? It takes only 1-2 turns for most common improvements now. You can already get ways of speeding up workers in the game currently (wonders, policies) if that is important to you. With a couple of these, it might reduce even the 2 turn improvements to just 1 turn. I could decrease worker speed further easily enough with certain technology markers, yes. If anybody has played with this mod on far enough to have specific suggestions, let me know.

I gave the workers speed 4 to begin with, and with roads and railroads they should be able to get around relatively quickly on land, at least. I don't know how I could go about speed them up even further with tech or eras. You can speed up embarked movement, and you can speed up entire "domains" (land/air/sea), but I don't know if I can speed up a specific unit. I would probably need to introduce faster modern versions of workers, as some other mods have done.

It might be more playable with a limit of 2 workers instead of one. That's easy for anyone to edit in the mod's xml.

Any major system overhaul like this public works system will definitely require modding access to the C++ codebase, which is supposed to be made available in the future.

suggest make this sticky till the issue been addressed in (official) patch?

and rename the title like "dirty fix for extremely slow game issue"

btw, does this fix the late game crashing issues too?

Top Bottom