Improvements to GeneralMatts austro-hungarian hussar

Yeah, that would look funny if the horses themselves would be teamcoloured... Or teamcoloured cows maybe?

I think this slowly becomes a case for Greenpeace...

Version v1.2 is up now. It includes .psd's of the textures where some parts are layered, so further edits should be easier. See the included readme for further information.

This one is going stright into my game as flavor cuirassier unit for HRE.

Okay, nice to hear that my version gets used for another mod than mine as well. Although I don't know where the relation is between HRE and hungarian hussars... I suppose because Austria was a leading power within the HRE and Hungary was part of Austria for a while (note: Austria-Hungary was not as it was created somewhat after the revolution of 1848/49 when the HRE didn't exist anymore)... Still, it would then make more sense as cavalry. Bakuel, however, made an early hussar that would suit better as a cuirassier IMO. Well, that's all your choice.

Of course, I meant cavalry, and as long as Hungary is not yed included in my game, it will be flavor unit. When that happens, I will probably include Austria too with K.u.k. Infantry replacing Rifleman.

I see. As we have a couple of textures for this unit, you are somewhat flexible. If you add these countries, you could use the blue version for Austria (unique art) and the green one for Hungary (UU) or vice versa (although the green one would suit Hungary better as it resembles the national colours).

If I use hussar.nif with the hussar_fx.nif (from teamcoloured-folder) the sabre and the backpack aren't textured. What am I doing wrong?
Please give the xml-code for the artdefines of the teamcolored unit.

Oops... yeah, there is a minor problem. When I set up my own version, the textures name was Hussar_Light_Green4.dds, but for the finalized version the textures name is simply hussar.dds. As according to what I read the hussar.nif is not teamcoloured anyways, you can use the hussar.nif from the maindirectory. To fix the _fx.nif, you would have to open the nif with nifskope. There, select the untextured parts - in the tree on the left a NiTriShape will be selected. It has a child called NiTexturingProperty, which again has at least one child called NiSourceTexture. There, you'll find the textures name specified. Correct it (actually it makes no difference if you enter the teamcoloured or the normal coloured textures name here, but I recommend the former as the latter then becomes obsolete and you could delete it, I think) and save the file. In case of the saber, there are two SourceTexture nodes. One is the texture itself, the other one controls the gloss effect. Leave the one saying something about gloss as is. If you haven't worked with nifskope so far, this might sound complicated, but it's pretty straight forward.
I will prepare a new fixed version soon. So if you prefer, you can wait till then.

Sry for double posting again, but I don't want you miss this. I've just reuploaded the package containg fixes to the problem you've mentioned. Hope there are no more problems. Sorry and thank you for reporting the bug.

I see. As we have a couple of textures for this unit, you are somewhat flexible. If you add these countries, you could use the blue version for Austria (unique art) and the green one for Hungary (UU) or vice versa (although the green one would suit Hungary better as it resembles the national colours).

I seldom add all-flavors for only one civ, but I liked the unit, so this is an exception. I do however think that the flavors we already have is not enough. For excample I think that the Egyptians should have one for themselves using what is until now called middle east, while the Middle east should have a bit more middle eastern ancient and classical. Basically, when I get enough civs into my ownmade mod for own-playing-purpouse only, I will include some more unitarts, including a SouthEastAsian and a African, and maybe also a NativeAmerican for the Sioux, Iroquois, Apache and Inuits. I do not think the MesoAmerican fit them that well.

I know it's been a very long time since this thread began, but the team coloring of this unit doesn't seem to work. When I try adding it in-game, it just goes right through:

2022-02-02 (4).png

Has anyone else encountered this bug and/or know how to fix it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom