In Defense of The Cure

Valen

TWAYF Builder
One of the least appreciated wonders is the Cure for Cancer.
I think it's a simple case of sticker shock.
In large civilizations, there comes a time when it really does pay to build The Cure.
The price tag is the same as 15 temples. Those 15 temples will get you 30 content faces.
So, if you have 30 cities, the Cure gives you the same benefit as the equivalent temples but without the upkeep cost.

As a player of large civilizations I was always baffled with lack of love for The Cure, which is generally my third built wonder, behind Hoover Dam and SETI Program. By the time it's built, unhappy people have just about taken over, and I need the time The Cure buys to build infrastructure.

Being in a solitary luxury class, Cure for Cancer allows stretching We Love the President day beyond level 40. It's the only (long term) wonder that contributes directly to your score beyond the standard bonus, though J.S. Bach's Cathedral and Women's Suffrage can recover score lost.

EDIT: Darwin's Voyage also contributes to scoring if spent on Future Tech.

There is yet another benefit to the cure.
When you have built enough cities that there are no longer born-content citizens anywhere, cities with odd population cannot be made to celebrate unless you have the cure. (The hanging gardens could theoretically have the same effect. but I can't imagine building that many cities before the development of invention.)

Top Bottom