In game sounds suddenly stopped working for MGE

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff
Recently I moved my copy of MGE from a USB memory stick on to my C drive. Since then the sounds in game are not working. The music is still there for the menu screens, the sound folders are in place and play in windows media player, the sounds are switched on in the options menu so all the basics are covered. ToT's sounds still work OK and I have tried re-installing various versions of Civ2 in different locations but still no sound.

At about the same time I moved Civ2 I was also running a lot of back-dated updates for Vista and I'm pretty sure that has caused this issue. Any ideas how to fix this as I do like the sounds?

Have you checked to see if the files associated with the sounds work?

Or if they even exist, or Vista has "banned" them?

If they are missing, can you still pull them from the USB memory stick?

The music is still there for the menu screens, the sound folders are in place and play in windows media player, the sounds are switched on in the options menu so all the basics are covered.

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I am having the same or a very similar problem.

Menu screens sound works fine, as do the wonder movies. The advisors sound off just fine. But the in game sounds do not play. I have the option checked under 'game/game options/sound effects' to have them on but they don't play. I can play all the WAV's from outside of the game.

I am also on Vista. I have the MGE and the sounds in the scenarios work fine but not in the main game.

Can't find any difference between the permissions for the sounds (which don't work) and the videos and scenario sounds (which do).

I finally got all my sounds to work again. :)

To do so I had load/save from the folder (directly and not even from a subsidiary folder) containing the exe. In my case this also means running the game as administrator since the exe is in a subdirectory of program files and hence will not let you save there otherwise.

Having the saves in a different place could well have been the OP's problem too.

Top Bottom