In what era does boredom set in for you?

In what era do you get bored?

• Ancient

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Classical

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Medieval

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Renaissance

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Industrial

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Modern

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • Atomic

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Information

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • None

Votes: 9 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

orasis

Prince
In every iteration of the Civilization franchise there was always an era in which players succumbed to 'boredom'.

In what era do you start to feel bored, in what era do you feel the world has been won and you are doing nothing but clicking end-turn?

Unless you add to the option " All " I doubt this poll will have success.

Civ Vi has been a nice news unless we discovered of how poorly has been programmed, Civ Vi is the first game in the series where you play without the AI, you always play alone and the AI in Civ Vi is just like Tea or Tobacco.

Only sound fxs and music are awesome, all the rest will fade away within 1 month, pity.

For me, its not the era but how the game is running against what victory.

When going domination its not so boring
When going science it gets boring if it takes too long which it often does unless you get everything right.
When going cultural it gets boring pretty early when you are playing too low
When going religious it gets boring when one gets suzerain of Yerevan, otherwise it can be quite fun.

Bigger maps get boring

I tend to make my own challenges and victory conditions and so can only blame myself if I get bored.

I love this game, it works for me, a great game thats enjoyable until you decide not to be involved and get a bit rushy because you have too many cities and CBA because it is about your victory and nothing else matters.

Bigger maps get boring
qft
I play tiny/small maps for this reason

I tend to make my own challenges and victory conditions and so can only blame myself if I get bored.

I find the forums a good source of things to try next, so I have been practising early war strategies (starting on prince and moving up a difficulty as I go). On Emperor as Qin Shi Huang I ran into Tomyris which forced a big re-think on how to approach this particular opponent.

I'd say it varies from game to game. I've had games that have bored me only a few turns in, and I've had others where I've never gotten bored. Cf. Civ5 which consistently got boring in the late eras, even with the excellent additions of BNW. Civ6 still has plenty of room to improve, but I guess I don't really understand why some people are so vitriolic towards it. On the other hand, I play on low difficulties and single-player only, so perhaps the game is less balanced at higher difficulties or in multiplayer. :dunno:

The point I usually get most bored is after I've won a war or cleared a front, and now have to painstakingly move my entire army across the map to their next target. I usually save my game and take a break at that point.

Other than that, the final age where you're cleaning up the last of the trees, and/or then waiting for arbitrary meters to fill so that the game can declare you the winner. Both these are made worse by the fact that the game takes forever for the AI to finish their turn. It gets really tiring having to stretch the final twenty to thirty turns of a game out over multiple sessions because you're spending so much time staring at a screen and picking meaningless building options while waiting for your victory to officially kick in. (Civ VI is by no means the only Civ game where this is a problem, but its tedious win conditions, turn length, and lack of communication with the player as to what is even going on make it far worse than normal.)

For me, the game sort of takes a dip around renaissance era where not too much seems to happen, then picks up a bit of pace around industrial/modern era, where nice buildings (factory), districts (neighborhood), wonders (Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Ruhr Valley) and new governments come into play. Then around atomic/information era, game usually becomes rather boring, as by this point you just wait for it to finish. Particularly if playing scientific (yaaaaawn) or cultural victory (at least here you'll have the archeology/great work game to manage).

Particularly if playing scientific (yaaaaawn) or cultural victory (at least here you'll have the archeology/great work game to manage).
It's funny, because I'm the opposite. In Civ5, I went for culture 99% of the time (at least post BNW), but in Civ6 I find the culture victory an unpleasant mixture of passive and tedious, preferring instead the science victory.

Civ6 still has plenty of room to improve, but I guess I don't really understand why some people are so vitriolic towards it. On the other hand, I play on low difficulties and single-player only, so perhaps the game is less balanced at higher difficulties or in multiplayer. :dunno:
It's the internet. Its the hip thing to do, be vitriolic. Doesn't matter where you go or what forum you're in. I used to visit forums on IMDB for movies and TV shows I like and found the negative people far outnumbered positive people. Then out of curiosity I checked out the forums for top250 and even those were often more negative than positive.

Then with CiV it seemed like it must have been the worst in the series....until somebody linked archived posts from IV's release. It was pretty funny. The posts were pretty similar.

Honestly as far as the game itself goes CiVI is a lot of fun. There's some balance and AI issues but overall the mechanics are entertaining to fiddle with.

I voted atomic. That seems to be the era when my cities are mostly developed and I'm just clicking for VC because all the planning is over.

The moment I build Ruhr Valley/Big Ben/Eiffel Tower - that's when I know I've pretty much won. So for me the feeling of boredom completely settles around Modern Era.

The points i find the least interesting is knowing you will win the game. You just have to press next turn for the next 40 turns or so. Mostly the last era.
I`m hoping the world council will return in the first expansion. Only thing i really miss about civ 5 so far besides a working AI. (AI+ mod fixes this a good bit)

It gets boring once you catch the AI in tech but then have to manage all your trade routes, city build options and keep selecting a tech or culture to research again and again. As long as an AI isn't going to sneak a culture win in it's just slog slog slog until you finally get the win/achievement.
I WISH it was only clicking next turn. They need an auto-pass option so you can like walk away and let the game come to it's conclusion.

Civ6 still has plenty of room to improve, but I guess I don't really understand why some people are so vitriolic towards it.

People paid $60 for a fundamentally flawed game; it's understandable that they'd be upset.

Top Bottom