In what year you start your first war usually ?

MoonZar

Chieftain
Hello,

Just a simple question.

I want to known when you start your first war and at what level are you playing ?

For my part, i'm not able to do war before 500 AD and i play in prince level.

I would like to compare with you guys, if i'm the only one who start war a little late.

MoonZar

Emperor or immortal, and my answer is the same as futurehermit's. But it does depend on how close your first victim is. I think about it as pre-catapults (preferable, if I have metal or a chariot UU) or post-catapult (necessary if no metal, or no copper and I waited to pick up IW in trade).

I think the earliest I've started a war is about 3880 BC, stealing a worker, if that counts.

peace,
lilnev

It really depends on the situation, but I usually attack fairly early. If I can grab a large chunk of land without much of a fight, then I could go centuries without a war. If I spawn close to Montezuma, I might rush my tech to get axeman, and wipe him out as soon as possible.

Personally, it all depends on how crowded it is in my part of the world. If I'm beginning to be pushed out into my shore, I'll prepare war right away and that usually happens a couple of turns before going A.D. However, I do have one instance where I went to war around 3000 B.C. It totally sucks when you're placed in a peninsula behind another nation.

I start my first war as soon as i can find a worker to steal. This usually occurs before 3000 B.C. I play Immortal and Deity.

As soon as i see a worker i can steal. If not then once i have copper or maybe horses. Dont like attacking with chariots unless i'm Egypt or Persia. I play monarch/emperor

I'd say about 500 bc for me too, enough time to get a decent axe/sword force. I try to attack asap so that I can capture/raze a couple cities before culture gets crushingly high or they get longbowmen. I'll attack again right away if they dont have a metal...otherwise I'll come back to finish the job once I have cat's to lower cultural defense. Monarch.

As soon as they know what copper is I go to war, if I have my UU or I think I have enough ax's to take hold of where ever the copper pop happens to be. I may also try and take a city or pillage other improvements to fund research.

I play between noble and emperor.

Here's another (related) question: How often do you worker-steal early?

I do it pretty much whenever I happen upon an opportunity and I believe that my warrior can get safely away (worker is 2 tiles from the city, and the civ doesn't start with the Wheel). But I don't generally lurk around the AIs borders to wait for an opportunity, so it probably comes up only one game in ten.

peace,
lilnev

Hello,

Just a simple question.

I want to known when you start your first war and at what level are you playing ?

For my part, i'm not able to do war before 500 AD and i play in prince level.

I would like to compare with you guys, if i'm the only one who start war a little late.

MoonZar

As soon as I have a handful of City Raidered Preatorians :goodjob:

as soon as there is a worker to steal i steal it and then invade his xpansion.

edit: oh yea emperor lvl here.

I make it a goal to destroy, or cripple, a civ before the end of the ancient era (1000BC). Unless you're in the middle of the jungle with no strategic resources (the arctic usually does, but then you have other problems). But even then: definitely destroy at least 1 civ before the AD period, reload the game if you couldn't. It improves your game.

If you're talking about deity though... anything goes. It's just not fun though, as it's so luck-dependent.

Maybe some people need a new challenge: play a game without ever declaring war and never moving a military unit to within cultural borders of another civ..

Thats kinda like that game Kylearan did with Gandhi where no military was built, ever.

That game was a bit extreme :)
I think Passive-Aggressive Hatty by Sullla would fit the requirements as well.

Not all of us are Sulllas or Kylaerans. For most of us to try a game of non-aggression, a strong defensive force would be necessary. To detract potential aggressors, and to deal with them when the detraction of having some power score isn't enough.

Top Bottom